Forum - View topic
PR: Code Geass and Lucky Star Invade the Web




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NeoMaster1



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 29
Location: Albuquerque, NM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Err... the Lucky Star site at least looks OK, but I find the code behind it pretty uninspiring. I can tell by the JavaScript in the header that Dreamweaver was used for the roll-over images. Also, the front page news feed becomes misaligned vertically under Firefox, which would take about 3 minutes to fix. Also, you guys misspelled "panel" on the About page, just so ya know.

It would make your work a lot easier to use a table in the Characters page. That way, you could insert a one-row, one-column table in each section with an id tag and change the content dynamically instead of having an HTML page for each character.

I'm not just here to nitpick, though. My thought is that if the property is predicted to be popular, its website should be well done. I hope to see some updates in the future! Remember, dynamic content is a good thing.

EDIT: A small grammar mistake.


Last edited by NeoMaster1 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nobuyuki



Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 521
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
I do hope you've forwarded these suggestions to Bandai Ent.'s webtechs, since "ANN hears 'ya, ANN don't care." Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
NeoMaster1



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 29
Location: Albuquerque, NM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Heh, yeah, I know. I did that too. I thought the companies that post the press release might check the responses every now and then. Although, that's most likely a rarity. Very Happy

The engineer inside me just had to say something! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireChick



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 1936
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
I'm mostly interested in Lucky Star! I hope there's news about Otakon. I'm going there this August! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billyarnie



Joined: 03 Dec 2007
Posts: 190
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
NeoMaster1 wrote:
I thought the companies that post the press release might check the responses every now and then. Although, that's most likely a rarity. Very Happy

ANN is usually very good when they post anything, IMHO. However, this is a rarity...
"Bandai Entertainment, INC. is a subsidiary of Namco Bandai Holdings (USA) Inc. and the premier distributor of Japanese animation on DVD and programming for television broadcast in North America. Titles include The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Gundam Seed Destiny, My Hime, and "... huh?! BTW & IMO, FUNimation is "the premier distributor" & except for Lucky Star, Haruhi, Gundam Seed Destiny & maybe My-HiME, the rest of that is Old...
I'll give Bandai credit for distributing Cowboy Bebop (a Sunrise show) & GitS:SAC (the rare, for Bandai, Production I.G.); 2 New Classics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116
Moderator


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 6647
Location: Kazune City
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:

ANN is usually very good when they post anything, IMHO. However, this is a rarity...
"Bandai Entertainment, INC. is a subsidiary of Namco Bandai Holdings (USA) Inc. and the premier distributor of Japanese animation on DVD and programming for television broadcast in North America. Titles include The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Gundam Seed Destiny, My Hime, and "... huh?! BTW & IMO, FUNimation is "the premier distributor" & except for Lucky Star, Haruhi, Gundam Seed Destiny & maybe My-HiME, the rest of that is Old...
I'll give Bandai credit for distributing Cowboy Bebop (a Sunrise show) & GitS:SAC (the rare, for Bandai, Production I.G.); 2 New Classics.
If you read a lot of press releases, you'll see that every company comes up with some superlative way to refer to themselves, like Viz, the so-called "most innovative" company. In terms of old properties, ADV routinely refers to their stalwarts like Evangelion, RahXephon, and Robotech in their press releases.

As an aside comment that doesn't really matter, a lot of the Lucky Star material and character descriptions feel like semi-Engrishy raw translations of Japanese promo material. Like for Kagami Hiiragi, one line reads "An aloof-chummy type, who is warm-hearted only when she has gotten to know you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7484
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
The Lucky Star site has been there for a while

Zalis116 wrote:
As an aside comment that doesn't really matter, a lot of the Lucky Star material and character descriptions feel like semi-Engrishy raw translations of Japanese promo material. Like for Kagami Hiiragi, one line reads "An aloof-chummy type, who is warm-hearted only when she has gotten to know you."


At least some of the material for the character bios was taken from Wikipedia - Yukari's in particular is ripped verbatim and they even accidentally copied in the next section header at the bottom (I took a screenshot in case they fixed it but they still haven't).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group