• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China Extends Bans on Foreign Animation, Horror Fiction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Eh, the protectionism is obviously just an excuse, and the real reason is that they want to reduce the exposure of people, especially children to foreign cultures and ideas.

I meant that kind of protectionism too, sorry If I wasnt clear about that Anime smile + sweatdrop

Quote:
And yeah, it's just a four hour ban, but those four hours are pretty much the only time when the audience can see such animation, so...

you start with 3 hours, the you up it to 4, then let's take it after midnight, a little while later, Hey, let cover daytime too, I just see it as a very bad move, just like been watchdogs over the internet and other stuff that the Chinese Goverment is doing to protect the citizens from the scary, scary outside world...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Eh, the protectionism is obviously just an excuse, and the real reason is that they want to reduce the exposure of people, especially children to foreign cultures and ideas.

This is exactly right, and yet another example (as if we needed one) of why Communism sucks donkey butt.

The scary part is, there are those who want America and Europe to become exactly the same way. Mad
Zerith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Something is really wrong with that.
They have alot of other serious problem but they still are focusing on that thing.

and they're still saying that it will provide a "favorable environment for the innovation of China's cartoon industry"
and yet, there's alot of limitations on what the country's cartoon industry can do.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
jqsilver wrote:
That picture of Ash and Pikachu makes me laugh. They look seriously concerned about this ban.
If censory-jerkery in anime in of itself is serious business, then how serious must up and out banning be?
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
I was dragged to China in September and have been here for a few months. For the record, Chinese animation is terribly awkward. Most of the original stuff consists of things made in flash with maybe three frames a second. Some of the better stuff are highly derivative anime rip-offs which, again, have really bad animation quality.

So it's no surprise they turn to just dubbing foreign things, though their voice actors are much, much worse than 4kids. (I ... saw a bit of Chinese Naruto.) But mostly? They just... bring over stuff like Barbie as the Island Princess. Not kidding, my cousin watched it and was *excited*. She's thirteen.

Bottom line: entertainment in China is honestly bad.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, China really is psycho about their own crap. Who cares if it's made there or not?

... wait, obviously China does.

I just have one question- What the hell is there to edit in Shrek and, especially, E.T.?! Are they gonna edit E.T. out or something? That's so stupid. Doing stuff like this will just make even more people mad.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

Yes. This is going beyond just cartoons, this xenophobia is frightening.

Meanwhile, guess where all the Shrek, Harry Potter, and Pokemon merchandise is made...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
jqsilver wrote:
That picture of Ash and Pikachu makes me laugh. They look seriously concerned about this ban.

If Pikachu could handle Team Rocket for this many years, the Reds should be a piece of cake.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
mufurc wrote:

Yes. This is going beyond just cartoons, this xenophobia is frightening.

I have to say that your minds are still in the Cold War era. It's just the opposite now: business monopolizing is far more important than thought control in China nowadays.

There's much for you to learn about East Asian politics and policy-led economy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And then they wonder why Spielberg chose to boycott
the Beijing Olympics. Rolling Eyes

This is NOT the reason why he did it. Spielberg was much more concerned with the situation in Darfur which is quite awful and China's overall attitude. Good for him Smile.

One thing is true though, this newest way of oppression is not going to win China any more fans.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
dormcat: I don't claim to be particularly knowledge-able about East Asian politics, but this is like saying that beliefs and policies don't ever influence people's decisions and the way they operate. (Besides, thought control wasn't the single most important thing in the Cold War era either... and it's kind of funny how people often think it was. Too much '1984,' maybe?)
saorren

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
i vote for fansubs! ...oh, theres no voting in china.

anyway... there is a reason that chinese fansubs come out within a day after the anime's aired in japan. but then the population that gets access to the internet isnt even a majority.

guess it's late night anime then -w-
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
If this starts happening when the olympics are hosted over here I shall purchase some eggs and use them as projectiles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I love the one animation clip from China posted earlier. The only "animation" was of the missile being launched. Almost EVERYTHING was just moving on screen. Clouds moving opposite direction of plane, plane "swerving in the air" by tilting it's picture. Oh wait, the eyes did blink! I forgot about that. An amazing feat there.

I have a very large landscape painting from china hanging in my room and it's sad to see the horrible animation quality of that cartoon in comparison. I doubt many people would even care to put work into animating anything if the restrictions on them are just as bad as any foreign works coming into the country. Why bother.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that trying to support national products is that bad of a thing in general, it's done in Canada all the time (Canadian television stations have to meet a certain quote of Canadian content). But China is going a bit overboard and just making themselves look worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3