• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Includes 1st Blood+ Episode on Non-Anime DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I for one could go for some vampire stuff. Something akin to hellsing(of which, I haven't seen the new ovas). The drama of blood+ and "gadgetry" of trinity blood kill it for me. They're vampires right? Then why are they using nano technology and crying themselves to sleep?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes! This is exactly what should be done to promote anime. Though a trailer would be nice so people could get a better idea of what Blood + is about. But it is a step in the right direction.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Awesome way to do it! I applaud Sony for taking the initiative here, and they picked two good titles to put the episode on as well - those people will be more inclined to buy Blood+ than anyone else. Im looking forward to the season set DVD! That's great!
perpetual159

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it'll also be in the Blue Ray print... the article only mentioned DVD, and honestly... by next year, Blue Ray will be a household item, so there's really no point in promoting something so good in a dying/old technology... well, sort of. I was renting some movies at Blockbuster, and the dude checking out my DVD/Blue Ray--I had to get the Michael Clayton movie in DVD Sad--told me that by next year, Blockbuster's stock is going to be completely replaced by Blue Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
I work at blockbuster and yeah, they're totally pro blu-ray and ps3, but next year all replaced? No way. We got in 250~ Michael Clayton's on dvd and 1? or 2?(if any at all) on blu-ray. Our blu-ray section is almost COMPLETELY stocked at all times minus the brand new stuff. I check in a handful at most a shift, and 100-300 dvds. And the only people with blu-ray players are parents/middle-aged gamers. No one else has a ps3 or a stand alone player.

Between all movie sales last year it was something like 90%~ dvd, with the little bit left divided between VHS/HD/blu-ray.

That said however, it would be retarded not to include it on a blu-ray disc. It's not like they can complain there isn't "enough room".
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
We got in 250~ Michael Clayton's on dvd...

You know, I've always wondered about that. Why DOES Blockbuster have so many copies of the new releases? They'll have 2 or 3 full shelves of the new hotness along the wall. Do they have a problem with them going missing or something? Or do they just like to show the customers piles and piles of whatever?
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Blockbuster's "killer ap" so to speak, was that they had new releases in stock guaranteed. In the bad old days, when SuperGiantExplosions IV came out, you had to rush to the local video bodega to get their single (two if you're lucky) VHS copy of it. Blockbuster said "Any movie store can keep From Here To Eternity on their shelves, we'll get 100 copies of each new release so no one has to wait for it. Then, they'll think of us first when thinking about video rentals. After the new release has lost it's sheen, we'll sell them off as used and recoup any costs. Plus, since we're a nationwide chain, we can negotiate a special deal for buying 50,000 copies".

It was brilliant and it worked for over 15 years, until till the dark times, until the INTERNET.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Great! I'm glad to see Sony doing this and I hope they continue to do so with other series by showcasing the first episode on popular DVDs of the same genre!

And guys I'm sure that if they're including the first episode, that they will also be including a trailer for the series as well! They can do both! The person can watch the episode and then check out the trailer to find out more or vice versa!
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
I for one could go for some vampire stuff. Something akin to hellsing(of which, I haven't seen the new ovas). The drama of blood+ and "gadgetry" of trinity blood kill it for me. They're vampires right? Then why are they using nano technology and crying themselves to sleep?

But Alucrud uses a gun and so did many of the vampires. :/
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
You know, I've always wondered about that. Why DOES Blockbuster have so many copies of the new releases? They'll have 2 or 3 full shelves of the new hotness along the wall. Do they have a problem with them going missing or something? Or do they just like to show the customers piles and piles of whatever?

Go take a look friday/saturday. The shelf is empty. Atleast, that's how it works nowadays. The only titles that don't rent out are the ones that are terrible/over saturated, and even then it's rare to see things never be rented out. If it's rented out? "It must be good". The longer it's rented out, the better of a movie it must be. This is the logic I get.

Quote:
But Alucrud uses a gun and so did many of the vampires. :/

Hm. Yes, but, Alucard* has "special abilities". He can morph his body, he can come back from seemingly death(and NOT because he has to "protect his friends" like in shounen anime but he wants to kill his enemy), he's actually scary. The gun is just a current weapon. I'm sure if it was 200 years before that he'd have a sword.

I don't mind having a weapon being used, but in Blood+, that's all Saya can do. Use a sword, slash stuff, hack at em. And in the case of the strong enemies, she can't even use it that well. I don't know, I always think of the movie Underworld as a good example. "We're vampires. That means we have really good aim and are strong, but weak in sunlight. Other than that, we perform exactly as every human in the world does". Just bored with sci-fi overtaking the horror.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
They should done this years ago.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm living proof the idea of putting an entire episode of an anime series on an non-anime DVD is a good idea. I saw the first eppie of Blood+ on the 30 Days of Night DVD and on the strength of that, bought Blood+, Part 1 box set (which I loved!) I wasn't a complete stranger to anime before, but Blood+ really kicked in my obsession big time (as did Gunslinger Girl). Check out my anime list: except for Mezzo: Danger Service Agency, all my other TV anime titles have been purchased in the last month or so thanks to Blood+.

Would I have had the same reaction if I'd only seen a trailer of Blood+ instead of a full episode? Hard to say, but I think the full episode is a great idea.

My recent anime fetish has lead me to manga as well. I picked up Dark Horse's Blood+ vol. 1 - 5 and will buy the novels eventually. I have Gunslinger Girl vols. 1 - 6. I plan to get all the volumes of Chibi Vampire and probably all of Full Metal Panic, too.

All this due to one free episode on a DVD!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for a UK R2 release for donkeys' years. There could be a few others as well. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2