• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animated Trigun the Movie Planned for 2009 in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
This is like, the best damn day ever. I'm having a massive geek overload.

JYB as Vash ftw! I wish they'd redo the series, I think Vash could be a tad bit darker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I wish they'd redo the series, I think Vash could be a tad bit darker.

IMO Vash in the anime is perfect as he is, him being a happy-go-lucky dork (both for real and as a disguise) is an important part of his character and the show. However, I wouldn't mind if they "updated" the animation, so to speak... it's never been very good and it hasn't aged well.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I really can't wait until my husband gets home to tell him the news. Trigun was our first non-girl-targeted series (I think we watched it before we ever got around to watching Eva...) and so it has a bit of a soft spot in my heart to this day, even if it's not a favorite. I keep wanting to try the manga, but I just find it incredibly hard to make out the pictures and follow the dialog properly, etc.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Alright, go Trigun! Cool I actually hadn't thought of the possibility of a movie up till just now, but now that I think about it, yeah, I think it could use a pretty good movie. Trigun's up there as one of my top 10 favorites, so it's pretty exciting news. And the fact that it's going to be an original story of Nightow's makes it all the more worth checking out eventually. I'd like to see it keep the same dub cast if it ever comes over, Bosh's Vash is probably my 3rd favorite of his, right behind Ichigo at #2 and Kiba at #1. And Wolfwood's needs to stay the same, that's for sure. Other than those 2 I'm not too concerned as to who else they keep, unless Knives is in this one as well.

Boy, all this reminds me I've still gotta move on to vol. 2 of the Maximum manga! Anime dazed
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's AWESOME. I just recently(as in last week) had the oppurtunity to watch Trigun for the very first time in my life(sadly G4 Canada's run of the show was done before I had the channel), thanks to a friend who sadly had family working for Geneon(I believe him, because every disk he's let me borrow has "For Promotional Use Only, Not For Sale, or Rent"), and graciously allowed me to borrow the tinpack, and the rest of the series in Singles. So, I got to now the awesomeness of Trigun. And even better, I went to Chapters, just this past weekend, and bought volume #1 and #2 of the hardcover manga, for $3.99 each, this is just making my week!

And ofcourse, I hope the dub cast returns when this hits the US.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, more Trigun. I just hope that whoever licenses this will be able to bring back the original dub cast. That dub rocked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Thought this would be an original story. I hope it will be good...

jeromeskee wrote:
Now that the Trigun Maximum manga has reached its end, maybe there's a chance that the TV series can be resurrected as well?

Why would it be? The series is over, it has a nice conclusion (at least I believe that what happens to the surviving characters from then on is completely irrelevant, as the story was about Vash's journey to that point), and there can be no sequel based on the manga either, for reasons obvious to everyone who has read/seen both. A new series could only be an original story, and we have the movie for that.

Obviously there's nothing stopping them from going back and accuratly adapting the manga, though. The Trigun anime was great but diverged significantly from the manga, so making a new series that's more faithful to the original makes sense.

Obviously, the new movie will already be doing this, since a "Vash vs Wolfwood" story can't take place in the anime timeline, what with Wolfwood being dead and all (unless it takes place inbetween episodes, a la the Cowboy Bebop movie.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I can't wait for DH to release the last two volumes of Maximum.

Well, it seems like you'll be waiting forever, considering how long it takes for Dark Horse to get those volumes out.

I've been a huge fan of the Trigun/Trigun Maximum manga ever since it showed up in America. For a while, it was the only manga I collect regularly (if you can call it regularly, considering the periods between release). The action is a bit messy, and sometimes it's difficult to figure out which dialogue bubble belongs to whom, but I read for the interesting characters. I did enjoy the anime series to an extent, though. I would very much like to see this Trigun movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend who use to pester me (because I'm tall and blond) to cosplay as Vash. I pointed out that Vash was effectively immortal, and skinny, and that I was neither, but to no avail.

While having dinner with some friends at Madhouse a year or two ago, the possibility of a new Trigun project came up, and I suggested that I could perhaps serve as the model for Vash's older, fatter brother. There was shochu involved, and the idea got a laugh as it was intended to. But I didn't expect it to really move forward -- that it's done so is at least partly because the series was popular in the US.

Anyway, I'll have a good laugh if Vash's big brother shows up, and he's a big kinda chunky blond guy with a beard...and an Otakon polo shirt... Smile
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
"Two years"?

I feel like the idea for a Trigun movie's been batted around for four years or longer. It's nice to know that there is some movement. But I'll believe it, when I'm sitting in a darkened theater (or living room) watching it.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Talk about coincidences...

I was just discussing the unknown status of the Trigun movie with an anime club member last Thursday. Good to see that it hasn't been left for dead, and I'll be waiting to see how the whole project turns out.

Oh, and I'll throw in another vote for tying to keep the original dub cast intact as much as possible.
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
HAHAHAHA! YES!
Real excited about this.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Woo hoo!!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern, mark your spoilers! Though it's pretty common knowledge that spoiler[Wolfwood dies] in the anime series, if I hadn't already seen that episode I would be pretty angry at you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3