• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Comments on Relisted Titles, New Release Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
mach747 wrote:
Quote:
I suspect we may never hear more about the exact circumstances of the situation than this, but these comments do help clear up some of the most commonly-voiced concerns. Maybe this will be enough to pull the more jittery fans all the way back from panic mode?

Yeah I suppose your right. Tho it is still kinda unsettling. If ARM is still an investor and ADV is not restructuring; how did this whole hiccup happen? Oh well.

WTB GL please Anime smile

Note that the article specifically said that ADVs relationship with _Sojitz_ as an investor remained strong, and ARM wasn't mentioned.

I think it's quite possible that ARM, which was set up by Sojitz to act on ADVs behalf was dissolved causing this licensing mess. It doesn't mean that there's anything functionally or structurally different about ADV, but depending on how contracts were written it could have required renegotiating everything with the original license holders.
Hopefully once the final negotiations for GL and DMC are finished ADV can come out and clarify why all this was necessary.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
You know, they would have at least alleviated some of the uncertainty if they'd just kept giving us press releases or announcements saying something along the lines of:

We're still here and we're working on getting everything sorted out, so stay tuned!

or

We sincerely apologize for the delay, as we're getting ready for a big suprise. Not to worry, we're getting things sorted out as we speak. In the meantime, check out our Air TV series now on sale!

or

Quit bothering us! Yes, we're still here!

It didn't have to mention anything specific about what they were dealing with, they could've just sugarcoated everything and that would've been acceptable. We just needed something to remind us that ADV wasn't dead. Preferrably something released right after all those titles were taken down.

Regardless of what was going on behind the scenes, this silence that's been occuring for a whole month was a major clusterfuck in the PR department. Frustrating? No, this is enraging. YOU CAN'T EXPECT PEOPLE TO NOT BE SCARED SHITLESS IF YOU'VE BEEN OUT IN A COMA FOR A MONTH WITHOUT PROJECTING ANY SIGNS OF LIFE. IF YOU'RE NOT DEAD, THEN TELL US THAT YOU'RE NOT DEAD. I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT YOU WERE DOING.

I have a hard time believing that their reputation hasn't been affected by all this. I'd say fan distrust created by this utter silence is what will ultimately kill ADV in the long run. I'll give them nine months.
feytaline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It didn't have to mention anything specific about what they were dealing with, they could've just sugarcoated everything and that would've been acceptable. We just needed something to remind us that ADV wasn't dead.

grgspunk said it well. ANY WORD in this wild age of internet speculation where a cached article screenshot was enough to drive people wild is a good word. Their whole 'talking would have caused more issues' is bs. Even "Er, slight delay, yeah, workin on it!!!" is something.

I think it's clear from previous threads here--and other forums--that the silence has lost them customers' trust--and probably customers, period. That's something no anime company can afford in this day and age! It's frustrating--I WANT companies to do well. I WANT to walk into a store and to be able to buy an anime dvd instead of being bombarded with the latest teen movie or romantic bore-dy. But things like this...

It's just funny that their most anticipated titles are the ones still pending. I don't mean funny as in 'omg conspiracy!!!1onebbq get in the car its a dinosaur!' I mean... kind of interesting? and irritating. I want GL.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
And DMC#1 with DMC4 Special Edition doesn't count.

DMC #1 is being sold stand alone too, btw.

Just thought I would put that out there (saw it at a Best Buy last week).
Periodeia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
I don't really care about any new licenses they're pursuing until they've got the stuff that should have already been released sorted out. Namely, give me my Gurren Lagann DVD first please.

It also would have been nice of them to at least inform the public/retailers that there would be delays in the first place. I've heard of more than several people who went around to various stores looking for the GL DVD on 2/26, and all they got was time wasted and disappointment. That's not very considerate to the customers.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My staff and I have been in touch with most of our retail partners, who have been remarkably patient and understanding.

Indeed. Apology accepted, Captain Needa...

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
Regardless of what was going on behind the scenes, this silence that's been occuring for a whole month was a major clusterfuck in the PR department. Frustrating? No, this is enraging. YOU CAN'T EXPECT PEOPLE TO NOT BE SCARED SHITLESS IF YOU'VE BEEN OUT IN A COMA FOR A MONTH WITHOUT PROJECTING ANY SIGNS OF LIFE. IF YOU'RE NOT DEAD, THEN TELL US THAT YOU'RE NOT DEAD. I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT YOU WERE DOING.

Actually yeah, it isn't really that unreasonable to expect that. Sure it is concerning but to panic just because ADV isn't constantly reassuring you that it's okay? I mean it's only been a month. If it got to be much longer than that, it might be a good idea to say something. However, I think rational people would realize that it's very reasonable for a company to take a month or so to finalise a new deal.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
Indeed when a company goes silent many fans will assume the worst. It would have prudent had ADV put a simple message saying that they were having some difficulties or delays especially in the wake of ADV Europe and Newtype magazine's cancellation.

Once again I really appreciate Bob from RACS (and Shawne's from TRSI) updates and I found his sit back and have a drink advise perfect for the moment. If anyone have anything to lose it is these nice people, and seeing how Bob kept his cool made me relax a bit.

It is also worth noting that RACS still has most of the out of print Geneon titles that are sold out at most retailers. Due to a nice inventory we should still be able to get many out of print titles in the worst case scenario.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
Well this is good news to hear. I imagine the reason for the blackout was so that they could announce all of them coming back at once, instead of one by one. Which would, beyond just complicating negotiations, incite more panic and rumors about what is kept and what would not. This also would explain why some of there more highly anticipated titles are now taking longer. If, as was alluded, they had to go back and renegotiate with the orginal license holders on an individual basis, then it stands to reason that maybe some of those license holders are now trying to cut a better deal in light of newly rewritten and signed contracts.

Thats just a guess of course but it would make sense.

Like others I am relieved to finally have some official news about what was going on, and the fact that they still seem to be kicking strong. Although my official sigh came when all the new dates were announced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BluMeino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
No Gurren Lagann?

NO SAFETY!!

As far as I'm concerned, untill I have GL #1 in my hands, ADV's still goin' to hell in a handbasket.
I also don't like what he's implying with the news blackout. because I think he just said the "weeaboo" word of business, "Red tape"

Just volume 1? And then what? They go under and you're stuck with GL Volume 1. This is why I only buy complete sets/thinpacks. You get the entire show and for cheaper.
Periodeia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
No Gurren Lagann?

NO SAFETY!!

As far as I'm concerned, untill I have GL #1 in my hands, ADV's still goin' to hell in a handbasket.
I also don't like what he's implying with the news blackout. because I think he just said the "weeaboo" word of business, "Red tape"

Just volume 1? And then what? They go under and you're stuck with GL Volume 1. This is why I only buy complete sets/thinpacks. You get the entire show and for cheaper.

Some of us are desperate/love the show enough to take anything we can get. ^^; I know I'd rather have one DVD than none at all.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
Bailiff wrote:
Our goal is to get fans' favorite titles out to them as soon as possible, and that means a few weeks of heavier than normal shipments.

Somehow I doubt you intend to do the same with GL, but doing so would be a nice "thank-you" for our patience. If, say, vol. 1 comes out in April and vol. 2 comes out in June I'll be more than a little pissed over the delay.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rosyna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
Ryokosha wrote:

As one told me it's too soon after Geneon went for them to be calm when they see another company delaying releases then saying nothing about why things were delayed once releases start to stagger back out the gate.

They should try to get people to infer it's a mastering issue, without ever actually directly implying it. I think that would ease a lot of people's worries.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
Periodeia wrote:
BluMeino wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
No Gurren Lagann?

NO SAFETY!!

Some of us are desperate/love the show enough to take anything we can get. ^^; I know I'd rather have one DVD than none at all.

Seconded—something I've demonstrated (if only to myself Very Happy Wink ) by buying all of Geneon's incomplete releases. (Plus I'm Gonna Be an Angel, various unfinished hentai projects, et alii.) My enjoyment of a series is not (entirely) dependent on it being complete—though of course that helps.
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
Geneon USA's death was bad enough....

if ADV had gone under for some odd reason, then i would have gone to deep pits of hell...

at least this small words of comfort is easing up some of the tension built up over last month or so...

if the ADV Film's website is back to normal, then i'll be extremely ecstatic...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5