• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Comments on Relisted Titles, New Release Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
No Gurren Lagann?

NO SAFETY!!

As far as I'm concerned, untill I have GL #1 in my hands, ADV's still goin' to hell in a handbasket.
I also don't like what he's implying with the news blackout. because I think he just said the "weeaboo" word of business, "Red tape"

Just volume 1? And then what? They go under and you're stuck with GL Volume 1. This is why I only buy complete sets/thinpacks. You get the entire show and for cheaper.

Normally I'd agree, but Gurren Lagann far exceeds production quality of the typical tripe that gets single volume releases. I'd happily just buy Volume 3 of the series.

It's one of those rare series that you can almost justify the broken distribution model that ADV are seemingly stuck with.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, stuff needs to happen as far as the epiosde ecomony is concerned.

And before Japan gives America a swift kick to the balls once Blu Ray becomes standard.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Something else I was reminded of by a friend earlier today. First (back around January) they announce the end of Newtype USA (okay officially they are merely switching it over to PiQ but no matter how you say it, it is the end of Newtype USA), and according to information released it was around that same time they also very quietly let out news about the delays.

I know they are two seemingly unrelated incidents and they might be, but they are two massive changes (including the loss of the magazines editorial director for "personal reasons") involving the same company within a very short amount of time.

The statements made while promising can be seen as typical press soundbytes for this type of situation and still do not answer key questions that probably never will be, what did happen even in a general sense to cause the delays, and what is the likelihood it might happen again?

The more I look at this the more I am happy things seem to be back on an even keel but very curious what happened to cause two massive changes within the same company for two seemingly unrelated things at the same time period... and waiting for more signs things really are on that even keel again.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
I have a hard time believing that their reputation hasn't been affected by all this. I'd say fan distrust created by this utter silence is what will ultimately kill ADV in the long run. I'll give them nine months.

Personally I was already fairly appeased, press releases or not, when ADVision (assumedly) started up business again with less than a month of being questionably inactive. The speed of their resurrection was enough to satisfy me, as I think actions speak louder than words.

However I generally concur with what you ranted and do think that more open press releases at an earlier date would have been helpful.

I also totally agree with your final statement. Though they seem like they are functioning again, ADVision is not out of the woods yet. This incident could still be the beginning of the end for them, quite possibly with the same timetable you predict. ADVision was supposedly in financial trouble since at least half a year ago when I first started hearing rumors, so I doubt they are suddenly financially healthy again just because they managed find a way to continue releasing titles. Even a small amount of fan distrust and lost sales following recent events has the possibility of eventually finishing them off.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Pirkap: I was referring to the Wallflower anime, not the manga.

Tempest: I can't imagine them taking too long on either Cromartie or Yotsuba, because they would've simply canceled them like the other titles, if they were bad sellers. As for TP, I'm in L.A., and I been pestering them, and I can't get any info, either. Crying or Very sad
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
I have a hard time believing that their reputation hasn't been affected by all this. I'd say fan distrust created by this utter silence is what will ultimately kill ADV in the long run. I'll give them nine months.

Personally I was already fairly appeased, press releases or not, when ADVision (assumedly) started up business again with less than a month of being questionably inactive. The speed of their resurrection was enough to satisfy me, as I think actions speak louder than words.

However I generally concur with what you ranted and do think that more open press releases at an earlier date would have been helpful.

I also totally agree with your final statement. Though they seem like they are functioning again, ADVision is not out of the woods yet. This incident could still be the beginning of the end for them, quite possibly with the same timetable you predict. ADVision was supposedly in financial trouble since at least half a year ago when I first started hearing rumors, so I doubt they are suddenly financially healthy again just because they managed find a way to continue releasing titles. Even a small amount of fan distrust and lost sales following recent events has the possibility of eventually finishing them off.

Porcipine and grgspunk, please do me a favor and leave ADV alone. You don't live in Houston, you've never met the V.A.s, you've never met the founders. So get off ADVs back! Stop trying to curse a company and trying to make bias. Bias has absolutely NO place in the anime industry! The anime market is not a competitive medium! it's rather a united non-competitive medium where everyone HAS one goal: Distrubute Japanese animation for people that love them. Nobody pledges loyality to one company because everyone is in the same boat. There are very few that would buy only products from one distributor. Everybody buys from everyone, it's all about quality not who's better. I like every U.S. distributor of anime. ADV,Bandai,CPM,Rightstuff,Funimation all of them!!!!!! Well of course people hate 4kids! they ruin anime.

So settle down and relax, ADV is going nowhere, they're a great company the V.A.s are nice and friendly, the marketers are well liked. Mostly everyone in the industry are just normal people, and have yet to be taken over by corporate greed, love, love not hate!
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
Porcipine and grgspunk, please do me a favor and leave ADV alone. You don't live in Houston, you've never met the V.A.s, you've never met the founders. So get off ADVs back! Stop trying to curse a company and trying to make bias.

I cannot speak for grgspunk, but my own post that you quoted was not negative towards ADVision. The first paragraph especially was very complimentary.

About meeting the VAs and founders, how do you know that I haven't? Maybe I have at a convention or something. But that's irrelevant anyway. Any criticisms I may have of ADVision are not personal, they are strictly business. Similarly, a personal like or dislike of the employees of ADVision would not be relevant.

Quote:
The anime market is not a competitive medium! it's rather a united non-competitive medium where everyone HAS one goal: Distrubute Japanese animation for people that love them.

I laugh at this statement, as I believe it to be untrue on multiple fronts.

Quote:
Everybody buys from everyone, it's all about quality not who's better. I like every U.S. distributor of anime. ADV,Bandai,CPM,Rightstuff,Funimation all of them!!!!!! Well of course people hate 4kids! they ruin anime.

Your own post is full of self-contradictions. You love everyone but you hate 4Kids? Well maybe I hate ADVision and I love 4Kids (I'm not saying this is the case).

If it is "all about quality" then indeed there are some issues about "who is better" being at stake, by definition. If I think some company has failed to provide me with acceptable quality or service then it's my right to be dissatisfied.
pakli1988

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope that ADV will be releasing the new thinpak collection of The Devil Lady on April 29, 2008, and of course, Megami Paradise on DVD on May 27, 2008, that will be awesome!
grgspunk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
You know, they would have at least alleviated some of the uncertainty if they'd just kept giving us press releases or announcements saying something along the lines of:

You mean something like this ?

Yeah, something along the lines of that. but that article dates back to January 30th: The beginning of the month-long silence. It would've been nice if something was said in the middle of February instead of the end of it.

Quote:

Oh, come on. Do you really think "fan distrust" has been built up that much and is going to hurt them that bad? Is fandom so fragile in this day and age of Internet-based immediate gratification that a delay of 2-4 weeks for several titles is going to drive people away? Fans being more reluctant to buy a series until it's all out I can maybe understand, as I know people are still smarting from the Geneon thing, but if someone is entirely refusing to buy from ADV over this then I have to wonder if that person wasn't looking for an excuse not to buy anyway.

Uhh... That "excuse not to buy anyway" comment seemed like a subtle accusation pointed towards me claiming that I'm an irresponsible fansub downloader. That was uncalled for. I'm not avoiding ADV, as I've still got titles (like Kanon volumes 2 and 3) that I'd like to buy from them but am unable to because of this delay. In fact, I've decided to buy the Air TV series for now to hold out until the Kanon DVDs arrive. I'm merely pissed off at their lack of any statements made and I believe that is going to be detrimental to them in the long run. I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it if I had every intention of avoiding them. I wouldn't be suprised if some average guy accused me, but I expected better from an ANN rep. Maybe I deserved it for implementing my own brand of sensationalism by using bold and caps-locked letters.

Anyways, the fandom has been pretty fragile because there's an air of pessimism that's been hanging around for months, which was obviously started by Geneon's demise. It's grown worse with events like Newtype/ADvocates being ditched, as well as Viz cancelling several titles halfway through. So of course there are guys that immediately assume the worst when things like this happen. Worse yet, I'll bet some of those people don't check sites like these very often and still believe that ADV hasn't said a word.

And yes, a two to four week coma is a big deal from a business prespective, considering the opportunity costs associated with it. There could have been a better chance of securing preorders/orders if they said/released something.

By saying the word "distrust" I'm referring to the lack of confidence that a company will complete a series. And yes, by saying that fan distrust will kill them, I'm mainly referring to the people who have decided to be smart after the whole Geneon affair. Why? If people become cautious en-masse and start holding out on buying titles until they're fully released, then how are they going to get immediate sales? Sure, they might get the money sometime later, but they do have expenses they have to immediately settle. Besides, like you said, fan distrust can motivate some to resort to fansubs altogether, which can make things worse.

Quote:
Porcipine and grgspunk, please do me a favor and leave ADV alone.

Sorry, but a false alarm followed by absolute withholding of a sitrep is not a joke. I nearly had a heart attack after the ICv2 article was released and I really wanted to see signs of ADV actually staying alive so I could keep buying from them. And yes, my criticisms were also business-related. I don't have any prior grudges against their company or their employees (I don't personally know them myself). However, I would recommend that they fire their PR department for allowing the ICv2 article to be leaked: This probably posed some sort of threat to their negotiations.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
tempest wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
You know, they would have at least alleviated some of the uncertainty if they'd just kept giving us press releases or announcements saying something along the lines of:

You mean something like this ?

Yeah, something along the lines of that. but that article dates back to January 30th: The beginning of the month-long silence. It would've been nice if something was said in the middle of February instead of the end of it.

Quote:

Oh, come on. Do you really think "fan distrust" has been built up that much and is going to hurt them that bad? Is fandom so fragile in this day and age of Internet-based immediate gratification that a delay of 2-4 weeks for several titles is going to drive people away? Fans being more reluctant to buy a series until it's all out I can maybe understand, as I know people are still smarting from the Geneon thing, but if someone is entirely refusing to buy from ADV over this then I have to wonder if that person wasn't looking for an excuse not to buy anyway.

Uhh... That "excuse not to buy anyway" comment seemed like a subtle accusation pointed towards me claiming that I'm an irresponsible fansub downloader. That was uncalled for. I'm not avoiding ADV, as I've still got titles (like Kanon volumes 2 and 3) that I'd like to buy from them but am unable to because of this delay. In fact, I've decided to buy the Air TV series for now to hold out until the Kanon DVDs arrive. I'm merely pissed off at their lack of any statements made and I believe that is going to be detrimental to them in the long run. I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it if I had every intention of avoiding them. I wouldn't be suprised if some average guy accused me, but I expected better from an ANN rep. Maybe I deserved it for implementing my own brand of sensationalism by using bold and caps-locked letters.

Anyways, the fandom has been pretty fragile because there's an air of pessimism that's been hanging around for months, which was obviously started by Geneon's demise. It's grown worse with events like Newtype/ADvocates being ditched, as well as Viz cancelling several titles halfway through. So of course there are guys that immediately assume the worst when things like this happen. Worse yet, I'll bet some of those people don't check sites like these very often and still believe that ADV hasn't said a word.

And yes, a two to four week coma is a big deal from a business prespective, considering the opportunity costs associated with it. There could have been a better chance of securing preorders/orders if they said/released something.

By saying the word "distrust" I'm referring to the lack of confidence that a company will complete a series. And yes, by saying that fan distrust will kill them, I'm mainly referring to the people who have decided to be smart after the whole Geneon affair. Why? If people become cautious en-masse and start holding out on buying titles until they're fully released, then how are they going to get immediate sales? Sure, they might get the money sometime later, but they do have expenses they have to immediately settle. Besides, like you said, fan distrust can motivate some to resort to fansubs altogether, which can make things worse.

Quote:
Porcipine and grgspunk, please do me a favor and leave ADV alone.

Sorry, but a false alarm followed by absolute withholding of a sitrep is not a joke. I nearly had a heart attack after the ICv2 article was released and I really wanted to see signs of ADV actually staying alive so I could keep buying from them. And yes, my criticisms were also business-related. I don't have any prior grudges against their company or their employees (I don't personally know them myself). However, I would recommend that they fire their PR department for allowing the ICv2 article to be leaked: This probably posed some sort of threat to their negotiations.
Well grspunk, I take your point, you have the right to be dissapointed at ADVs' PR department after all they are the type of company that only likes to reveal certain practices and business moves. As for me, living in Houston actaully allows me to be a lucky consumer that not only hears about what's going on at A.D. Vision but also get's to see advanced screenings of NEW releases weeks before everyone else outside of the city, As for Porcipine, please spare your ignorace and sour grapes. Just give it a rest! We know you hate ADV films and you have no reason why, but there are so many other people that love them. Yes I hate 4kids like everyone else, but I rarely speak of them, most of the time I pretend they don't exist. So please stop with this flaming of ADV or I'll report you to moderators. As for what I said, It's truer then blue water. None of the U.S. anime distributors are competitive to each other at all. Nobody fights over who gets a big license, Everyone IS on the same page. We are all one and pledge loyality to no one.
kazana144

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
I dunno if porc hates ADV, but his attitude definitely isn't helping the situation, especially the situation he's escalating with his negative posts. Maybe he just doesn't realize how damaging his comments are, even if they are an opinion. Maybe by reading this thread, people all of a sudden aren't going to buy dvds, word does spread around, even if ADV isn't as damaged as they look.

Either way, I already know how Kanon ends, and I can care less if I have the complete set. I'd rather have a partial uguu, than no uguu at all.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
A key to victory is not Uguu.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
Any industry news will always bring the same people out of the woodwork to toss their barbs at the companies and derail every topic, good news or not, in to another tiring war of words. You get used to it after awhile kazana144.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kazana144

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess it comes from being new here, but the pessimism among the community on this board is just sickening.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
kazana144 wrote:
I guess it comes from being new here, but the pessimism among the community on this board is just sickening.

It's really just the same 2 or 3 guys who pop in to every single industry news thread. You learn to ignore them over time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5