• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Theatrical Version of Gurren Lagann Pre-Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oronae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Tolone wrote:
hara wrote:
There's also that first scene in the TV series that has nothing to do with the series itself. Maybe they will expand that aspect.

spoiler[I thought that was explained as a possible future. Remember how in the first ep simon said all the stars are enemies while he said the opposite during the last episode?

I always took it as if simon hadn't decided to disappear he would have pissed off the galaxy and started a war. I even remember when simon killed the anti spiral he said something to the effect that the anti spiral was a idiot for thinking he would abuse his power. I could be reading too much into things though.]

It's primarily there to set the tone for the series but spoiler[given some of Lordgenome's comments it's also possible for that scene to take place in the past. The mention of a great dimensional government (as opposed to anti-spirals) would suggest that it may be the man Lordgenome mentions who was similar to Simon.]

Then again, I may just be grasping at straws.
BluMeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Is there anyone buying the series who has not already watched it?
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
TTGL has become one of my all time favorite animes and it is great to hear that it is getting the big screen treatment! I really think TTGL as a complete TV series really outshined EVA as Gainax's landmark show, and it is definitely their crown jewel of the moment. The show was enjoyable from start to finish.

I just wonder what direction they're gonna take for the plot of the movie. Before the TV series? After the TV series (an alternate ending maybe a la EVA)? A retelling of the TV series?

IMO, the story of the TV series ended pretty conclusively, so I hope that they go the direction of retelling the TV series (either the first half or second half of the series I suppose).

Last edited by jeromeskee on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
My hopes will be that ADV will be able to bring the theatrical version and also the series over in due time, and also do what is necessary to get it noticed. I'm sure though that it's gotten plenty of attention when ADV dropped it, but hopefully it will be on the rise again.
aznguytim86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote

wow, that's an awesome picture. anyone know where i can get a bigger version of it. also, anyone know if they have that picture on either wall scrolls or posters?

Last edited by aznguytim86 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Some members of the Gainax production committee previously mentioned at a convention that they would like to do a project set in the timeskip period, centring around Viral. Maybe this is it?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
aznguytim86 wrote:

wow, that's an awesome picture. anyone know where i can get a bigger version of it. also, anyone know if they have that picture on either wall scrolls or posters?

bigger version
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/v1cious/GL_poster.jpg

i''d like to know if there's a poster as well.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
You know how I've said that the only news I want to hear from Bandai Visual USA is that they're going out of business?

Well, the only news I want to hear about Gurren Lagann is that it's got a release date again. Ore wa dare da to omotteyagaru?!?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
So Gainax finally has a new milk cow. Moo~

Hahaha. Laughing
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
If this is going to be The End of Gurren Lagann, this is going to be really entertaining.

I'm expecting something more along the lines of Gurren Lagann: Do You Remember Love?
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey, if Imaishi is involved, it can't be bad, can it? I thought Gurren-Lagann was a good series, and I'll watch this when it comes out, too.
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Honestly the only possible positive spin I can get from this is if it was an alternative universe story with Simon from the prologue. Every other possibility for the movie I can think of would be negative or unnecessary.

Lix wrote:

I share the same feelings, but I still thought it was a fitting conclusion. Many of the side characters in the series were too underdeveloped for my taste, but to me the final scene proved that Gainax intimately understood Simon and the structure of the world he inhabited. That actually made the show grow a lot in my esteem.

Agreed I loved the ending. I felt everything came full circle.

Also agreed. The final episode provided beautiful, if bittersweet, closure to my favorite characters, Simon and Nia, in the show and closed the narrative's underlying themes in a perfect fashion. I can't see it ending any other way.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
We were all aware that something like this would come.

Given Gainax recruited new members recently it could be something with original footage (hopefully not a recap). There's also that first scene in the TV series that has nothing to do with the series itself. Maybe they will expand that aspect.

To explain the opening scene:

spoiler[It's Boota's dream-world. When the Anti-spiral has them all locked away in their different dream-lands, that is the one that Boota is experiencing. That's why you see him (in his humanoid-like form) off to the side at the intro.]

Second, w00t! I can't wait.

MOOOOOO!
Meccanica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I never thought that it might be Boota's dream world... that's an interesting one. I had thought it was supposed to be far future, as they start to face Spiral Nemisis- which, either way, would be a logical setting for the movie.]

One thing's pretty much guaranteed, though, Oronae: spoiler[It's not the past. For one, there's Humanoid Boota Thing. Also, IIRC, Genome says someone else tried like Simon, but obviously no one got that far before- they would have had to defeat him first, right?]

I'm banking on the movie being a continuation, spoiler[maybe following FutureGimmy and FutureDarry? Although I'd rather have someone more in the Simon / Kamina archetype... Whatever. My point is, the Spiral Nemesis stuff] is the obvious next step for several reasons- chief among which is that I can't imagine anything more over the top than that final fight. I'd think that alone would be invitation enough for Gainax to do the impossible, see the invisible, ro ro fight tha' powah.

Also, hot damn! I can't wait.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
I always figgured the spoiler[Spiral Nemisis] was going to be a boss for the super robot wars that GL will premare in.

Captain Crotchspike wrote:
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
If this is going to be The End of Gurren Lagann, this is going to be really entertaining.

I'm expecting something more along the lines of Gurren Lagann: Do You Remember Love?
That would make my damn day if it was GL:DYRL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3