• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - War Stories

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I have so many fond memories of playing UN Squadron until the break of dawn with my friends in my neighborhood growing up... That game was a fantastic challenge, with perfect pacing and amazing levels, and great bosses.

Both the Area 88 OAV and TV series are huge hits amongst my friends. It's interesting to see that Shintani has such a link to Matsumoto, because in retrospect now it seems incredibly obvious.

It's interesting how many of the great anime/manga of the late 70's up until the early 90's were created by men who love mechanical things. Kenichi Sonoda, Kousuke Fujishima, Leiji Matsumoto, Shoji Kawamori, Masamune Shirow, and so forth gave us so very, very, very much detail and wonder in their worlds of brave men, heroic machines, and beautiful women.

It might be interesting at some point to put some major research into the point where we experienced the shift to the modern creator paradigm, which seems so much less mechanically inclined.

And, for the record, the first manga I came to own was the Viz GN release of Mobile Suit Gundam 0079. I have two volumes, and keep my eyes out for more.
cannonballz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
First manga i've ever read was Ranma 1/2 in the late 90's. Been a manga junkie ever since.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I can remember that the first manga I read was Inuyasha when it was in the flipped format. I only got to about volume 7 before I stopped reading any more of it. The first series that I purchased and read to completion is Love Hina.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I only ever played the SNES game. I never took the time to watch or read anything else about Area 88.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
The first manga I ever read was Pet Shop of Horrors which I got into because the anime was only 4 episodes and I wanted more. I really enjoyed it and was collecting the sequel Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo but then Tokyopop went belly-up so I guess I'll never get to complete that.

As for Area 88, I never saw the manga but I purchased both the OVA (ADV release) and the TV show. I seem to remember that CPM only released the first episode of the OVA on DVD so I was glad to see that ADV released the whole thing (albeit with the episodes combined). I have not yet watched the OVA but I did watch the TV show. I had two major problems with the TV show. First, I felt they spent too much time on supporting characters so they had to rush to tell the main story toward the end. Second, I really, really hated the ending of the TV version. In fact, I hated it so much that I traded the series at a swap meet. I now regret this somewhat because I had the singles with the (chipboard) art box. At the time I was living in a tiny apartment (and had just found out I would have to move) so with space being an issue I didn't want to keep a show I would probably never watch again. Now I have a house so I tend to be a hoarder; I actually have some shows I am keeping just because I have the artbox even though I will probably never watch them again. I traded it straight up for the box set of Green Green which I have not watched yet (and which, like most Media Blasters releases has a crappy cardboard art box).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3