• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oricon: Nana's Yazawa, DB's Toriyama are Most Popular

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saini85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
In the the third sentence it says yawawa instead of yazawa.
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ai Yazawa deserves the top spot no question about it. I'm kind of surprised Rumiko Takahashi isn't on the list though. Haven't heard about her recently, what's she doing lately?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Urasawa please. He's not very big stateside (the same can be said of Adachi of course), but he's amazing, definitely deserves it.

As for Takahashi, her reign as queen has kind of been over for a while, but she's not as "classic" as Toriyama or Fujiko F. Fujio. And really, Inuyasha has totally been out of it for some time...
jopojelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am suprised that Rumiko Takahashi isn't on the list. I mean, Inuyasha is in it's final Arc at the moment.

Urusei Yatsura itself should garner her a top 10 spot, not to mention everything else she's done.

Also, only 600 people over the internet polled doesn't seem like much or a survey.....
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that Oda and Togashi are tied, especially since HunterxHunter just returned from its hiatus and One Piece has been on a good run so far. Toriyama's not much of a surprise though. Dr. Slump probably would've garnered him more votes among females.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised at how far down CLAMP is. I don't know if it's that they aren't as popular in Japan as I expected, the new works haven't impressed the public in recent years, or something else.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I imagine Takahashi hasn't been popular since Maison Ikkoku ended. Her series still sold after that, but she wasn't a must-read author any more. Toriyama's survived by going the opposite route of Takahashi, and not trying to milk his material beyond its expiration date. It's actually kind of ironic, though, considering all the Ranma-esque manga we're getting nowadays. I'm just surprised Astro Boy made it on there, though, considering the recent anime tanked over there.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm a bit disappointed that Hiromu Arakawa didn't make the list but as far as who's on the list is concerned. I also thought CLAMP would be placed a bit higher on the list.
brightredglow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Yazawa is number 1. I'm a fan, but still... number one? Ahead of Urasawa and Inoue and Oda?

Again, I'm a fan of Yazawa but honestly, this poll results seems a bit weird.

Quote:
Personally, I'm a bit disappointed that Hiromu Arakawa didn't make the list but as far as who's on the list is concerned. I also thought CLAMP would be placed a bit higher on the list.

Yes! Where is Arakawa? Gads, I'm even more perplexed now.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just surprised Astro Boy made it on there, though, considering the recent anime tanked over there.

The nostalgia factor is stronger than anything else.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
brightredglow wrote:
I'm surprised that Yazawa is number 1. I'm a fan, but still... number one? Ahead of Urasawa and Inoue and Oda?

Again, I'm a fan of Yazawa but honestly, this poll results seems a bit weird..

Well, I'm pretty sure the majority of the panelists and manga readers in Japan are females so I don't find it surprising.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
brightredglow wrote:

Again, I'm a fan of Yazawa but honestly, this poll results seems a bit weird..

Well, I'm pretty sure the majority of the panelists and manga readers in Japan are females so I don't find it surprising.

The article said it was a 50/50 split.

What likely happened is the men's responses were more varied than the women's. And notice that neither Toriyama nor Yazawa appeared in the other gender's top 5 yet they still topped Inoue and Adachi, meaning there was probably a huge gap between #1 and the other positions.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Notice that Oda was number one for teens and Toriyama number one for men in their thirties. That means that we have these individuals who carry their influence based on generation. Means more older people are still fans of the old school shonen, because that's what was pioneered when they were younger. This poll system I think is very effective.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Gosho Aoyama is not on the list either and he's enormous.

Quote:

I imagine Takahashi hasn't been popular since Maison Ikkoku ended.

...You aren't being serious are you? Rolling Eyes

IY was really huge, more popular than Ranma (which was really popular as well). Yeah she's dragged it out and thus the series lost a lot of popularity, but if you seriously think she hasn't been popular since 1986. Umm... lol.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
kaze: I heard Ranma did worse than Yawara in the ratings, and that the manga didn't sell well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2