• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Live-Action Death Note's English Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy they got the RHCP song. This is gonna be good.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Ironically...I was talking about this a few days ago, I was telling my friend how interesting it was if they kept the original voice cast for the live action movie.

...how odd that...it came true.

I'm pretty sure that it's going to play in NY (if it's limited), and I'll go to see it. I prefer the English version over the Japanese, though I can equally listen to the anime without a problem.

Honestly, I know there are live action series that could work with the original anime dub cast. I thought Cromartie High would have done well with the ADV cast, it just wasn't as good with the new one. Though I may seem a little short on it because I've only saw a clip. I'm going to buy the movie anyway.

I don't see it as a big deal having a dub track. Though some of you may not even bother to listen to the dub, it caters to people who are willing to.

So if Ocean does dub it, I'll buy it. If not, I'll still buy it. I don't really care, I just want the DVD.

EDIT - I think the trailer is kind of odd...but the announcer sounds like Brian Drummond (aka Ryuk).
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
leftbehind: I disagree with you on the women in Mononoke Hime. Jada Pinkett's the only one of them with talent, but Toki was the wrong part for her to play. [I actually could imagine her more as San or Eboshi than Danes and Driver.]

tyger: I disagree about the ADV Cromartie dub. The Japanese version is flat.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

tyger: I disagree about the ADV Cromartie dub. The Japanese version is flat.

Sorry, but your post confused me.... >.>;
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
tyger: I thought the English dub for Cromartie was better than the Japanese dub.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
In that case, I think you misunderstood my post. =P

I own the boxed set of Cromartie and I loved the dub. xD

If you're unaware, there's a Cromartie High live action movie that's out on DVD, and I haven't purchased it yet (but I will), and with live action movies, there is a different cast...

I think the scene I caught online was with the guy who gets motion sickness all the time, and comparing the two, I preferred the anime actor over the live action actor, I think it could've worked using the original English anime cast.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Dubbing the trailer is rather worthless if there is no dub of the movie itself to speak of (though it was nice of them to get the VAs from the anime's cast for it, who sounded like they normalized their character voices to make for a more beliveable live-action one). I am, however, impressed to see that they cast the roles so well (especially L, who would seem the hardest to bring to reality, and Det. Yagami). Light and a few others didn't look like their original counterparts, but they still fit the bill. Also, while CG Ryuk doesn't look half-bad, I thought that they casted an actual actor for the role, under heavy makeup (unless I was originally mistaken...).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
At least the trailer seems to suggest they would use the Vancouver Ocean Studios dub and not some hack Hollywood cast who aren't real voice actors (majority aren't). BTW, look at the Miyazaki dubs to see what I mean about famous celebrities doing the dubs when real voice actors could probably do better.

First off I also thought they did a great job for the majority of the films.

Secondly, aren't live action films in America technically dubbed over? Don't producers/directors go back and get the audio, if they need to, for any live action film? The women from "Day For Night" talking about how she just says numbers and then goes back and records over it comes to my mind. I may very well be incorrect but the thought did enter my mind.

Considering I'm buying the anime a disc at a time with the figurine for each, I don't think I'll buy this unless I hear something great about it. However, if I get the chance to see it in theaters I might see it.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Dubbing the trailer is rather worthless if there is no dub of the movie itself to speak of (though it was nice of them to get the VAs from the anime's cast for it, who sounded like they normalized their character voices to make for a more beliveable live-action one).

You know, I was thinking that as well, however...I saw on Viz's site that the DVD will have both English and Japanese audio. So maybe they're saying that the movie release will be in English, and the DVD release will have the subtitles (so people won't think they'll have only a dub dvd)....

*shrugs.* I dunno...We'll see, I'm still adding it to my collection. BTW, I'm collecting the figurines too, but I'll probably smack myself if I see the boxed set... .>.>;;; I'll probably just sell my DVDs for half price then. xD

EDIT - I did find it..you can go to viz-pictures.com and check out movie releases. Unfortunately, I don't see any release for NY yet... -_-; but...

this is the details I've gotten for the movie, and I have to be sure it's the DVD release they speak of.

"2006/ Japan/ 35mm/ 1.85:1/Dolby Digital SRD/120min
Japanese with English subtitles / English Dubbed version"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Ha! What if they "dub" the Red Hot Chili Peppers with their own Japanese song? Wonder if Viz could get the Chili Peppers to a con (SDCC perhaps). Laughing

Jih2 wrote:

Secondly, aren't live action films in America technically dubbed over? Don't producers/directors go back and get the audio, if they need to, for any live action film? The women from "Day For Night" talking about how she just says numbers and then goes back and records over it comes to my mind. I may very well be incorrect but the thought did enter my mind.

Live-action shows do that (ADR - Automated Dialogue Replacement or Additional Dialogue Recording) all the time. They re-record lines that need changing later. Coastal Carolina Studios was known for doing ADR on the popular Dawson's Creek TV series.

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
I emailed Viz with a copy of my script for the two Death Note live-action movies (with a translation of the Debu Note parody), but I received no reply as yet. I had to send it to their "press email" as that was the only one I could get access to.

I doubt they'll use it, but it'd be cool if they did.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I emailed Viz with a copy of my script for the two Death Note live-action movies (with a translation of the Debu Note parody), but I received no reply as yet. I had to send it to their "press email" as that was the only one I could get access to.

I doubt they'll use it, but it'd be cool if they did.

You really did a translation of that parody? Or just copied off a sub of them? And by scripts for the 2 live action movies, do you mean translations of the other two films' scripts or two original scripts for 2 knew movies? If the latter's the case, then yes, please keep your expectations low. Don't want to be a living example of those delusional "I-can-totally-write-an-anime" types that Answerman's gotten flakes from. Like he said (?), a generally respectable professional background and a real substantiative script would get more attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
I did the latter. I worked on the raw video and audio.

Yeah, I translated it with the help of a native speaker, so I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I wish I could attach files here. In any case, here's the Debu Note translation.

Quote:
Debu Note Parody

Ice cream really does taste best in winter.

Signs (in decreasing order of size): Nakazawa Bean Curd Shop. We deliver. Address: Daiba, 3-chome.

I weigh 135 kilos. {Note: 135 kilograms = 297 pounds - winston}

Signs (in decreasing order of size): Nakazawa Bean Curd Shop. We deliver. Address: Daiba, 3-chome.

I'm a seventeen-year-old, grade 11 student.

My name is Yagami... Oil!

{Note: The sign changes from "Yagami Light" to "Yagami Oil." The kanji for "Oil" is written for the kanji for "lard" - winston}

And then one day, I picked up a mysterious notebook.

That was when my tale of terror began.

What is this notebook?

Sign: The Next Day

I wonder what this notebook is.

There's nothing written in it.

Sorry I'm late.

No, it's my fault. I know how busy you are.

Sign: Weekly SMA! Writer. {Note: "SMA" stands for "Super Magazine" - winston} Kusanagi Tsuyoshi.

Thank you for agreeing to do this interview.

Not at all.

Sign: Actress. Karina.

It's that famous actress Karina-chan! She's SOOO cute!

Well, I would like to start this interview right away.

OK.

I'm counting on you.

Today, I'd like to ask you about what types of men you like and dislike.

OK.

What kind of man do you like?

Let me see...

I guess I like nice guys.

Now on the other hand, what kind of man do you dislike?

Well, I can't think of any guys I dislike.

That's Karina-chan for you! She likes all guys!

Well, how about... a fat man?

A fat guy?

Well, I don't mind if they're a little chubby, but I don't really like guys who are too fat.

I agree. Fat shits are gross.

What the hell? She just said that she likes all guys!

Write her name in there.

W-What the hell?!

Who are you?

If someone pisses you off, write their name in that notebook.

Huh? Write their name?

That actress pissed you off, right?

Huh?

Anyway, just who are you?

Huh? He's gone.

Ummm...

I'm sorry about what I said before.

Huh?

I didn't mean to say that on purpose. It just happened.

Oh, don't worry about it. It's no problem at all.

But I thought I might have hurt your feelings.

Thank you. Don't worry about it.

To be honest, I'm a big fan of yours.

Really? I'm so happy!

If it's all right with you, could I please have your autograph?

Certainly.

Oh, what should I sign?

Let me see...

Oh, perfect timing.

I'd like you to sign this.

OK.

Here you go.

I'm so happy!

That's good.

I'm counting on you to continue supporting me.

Karina-chan's autograph!

Sign: Karina

I'm SOOO happy!

If someone pisses you off, write their name in that notebook.

Well, it's not like anything's gonna happen.

Huh? My body feels wierd.

Karina-chan is turning into a fat shit!

What the hell is this?

What the hell just happened?

The human whose name is written in this Note shall become fat!

What the hell is this note?!

DEBU NOTE?! {Note: "Debu" means "fat/chubby" - winston}

I'm a Fat Shittygami, Debuk!

Sign: Debuk. (Shinigami). Waki Kazuhiro.

Since you picked up the notebook, only you can see me.

What the hell is this?

What happened to me?

Karina-chan!

Are you all right, Karina-chan?

Like hell I'm all right!
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
That dubbing doesn't seem too bad ... and there's always the sub. track if that turns out to be terrible, anyway! Can't wait to get my hands on this DVD! ^__^
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I hope that the release the subtitled version in theaters. We Americans could definitely benefit from getting rid of our almost paranoid fear of anything not in English. And Death Note would be one of the perfect vehicles for that. It's not to say that dubbing is bad, but moviegoers as a whole could benefit from being exposed to something different. Plus, I've now seen dubs in three different languages, and the dub actors always seem to overact when they're dubbing live action.

But for the DVD, of course I don't object to a dub track. There, it's optional.

And HyugaHinata: did you hire an agent? If not, you have probably a 0.5% chance of being taken seriously, no matter the quality of your translation. That's just how the business works. It's all about how you present yourself, not about how talented you are. Sad but true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4