• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - The Dog of Flanders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow...the animation in the screenshots looks lovely. I'll have to track down either the VHS or the fansub...probably the fansub, we have a VCR but I don't think it works too well, and I have a VHS player at my work but I don't think it'd be something parents would want me showing their kids. ^^; (I work at a daycare.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
It's been years since I've seen the Tagalog dub of the 1975 series. Never saw the movie. I wonder how viable the WMT series are in the U.S. market. It'd be nice to have an English dub of Daddy Long Legs, for instance.

There already is an English dub of Daddy Long Legs. I've got a copy.

Of course, this is a condensed-to-movie dub released on VHS in 1986 or so. A re-release of any kind would be welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow!

I remember seeing a commercial for this on a Sailor Moon video when I was little, and I thought it looked really cute and wanted to see it. Then a few years later, when I started to become more technologically-saavy, I tried looking for this movie but couldn't find it. I thought I was imagining things and that I was crazy. Thank you for confirming that I wasn't crazy (in that regard)! Anime hyper

This film looks absolutely beautiful and I love The Dog of Flanders story. I wish there was an uncut, subtitled DVD release of the movie because I would buy it in a heartbeat.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Just as a note, the book plays a part in the currently running series Kimikiss--Pure Rouge.
Monumension

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I am familiar with the original story, although I'm not sure from where. Childrens television in Norway have broadcasted some pretty sad and disturbing stuff trough the years, so maybe that's where I remember it from.

The devastating conclusion of The Dog of Flanders also feels very reminiscent of H.C. Andersen's The Little Match Girl. An inspiration perhaps.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Compared to most here, I'm an anime n00b, but wow! Buried Treasure covered something I've actually seen!

Well, SORT OF. I saw the dub. Embarassed I was nine years old and at a sleepover. I really enjoyed it and wanted to get the video, but I don't think Mom took me up on it. Oh well.

So, to some extent I can defend the dub, as it clearly didn't destroy my enjoyment of the movie as a child. Still, I loved Pokemon then, so...yeah.

Anyway, I would LOVE to see the original version of this movie, as I have such fond memories of watching it. Wish I could find the sub somewhere, though. I've had it on my list for forever. Crying or Very sad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly remember spoiler[the vicious beating of the dog] being one of two more extended events that were cut from the dub. What was the other?

And, while the revised dub ending may have been cheesy and overbearing, was it changed from the original drastically? How so?
sixtopia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Maybe it's just an inherent Western preference for fairytale happy endings, but I sometimes wish that more anime series received that warm-and-fuzzy treatment in the end, instead of the "everybody dies" motif that's seemingly rather common.

The "everybody dies" motif is exactly why I love anime.

And I sure would love to see "The Dog of Flanders". Maybe if the whole legal download thing catches on, someone will take a chance and license it again. I prefer a nice DVD, but I would take a no-frills, sub only download if that was the only way it was sold...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Question #2, folks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6305731926/ref=cm_cr_dp_orig_subj

Does this look like the sub VHS to you? The description says it is, but weeeeeeeell...it can't be that easy to obtain, right? I really don't want the dub. I don't think I'll be able to appreciate it again at my age.
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Sooooooooo many classics from The World Materpiece Theatre. What about Heidi ~ It has Miyazaki name on it too~ and Daddy Long legs, Sound of the Music too~

Talking about buried treasures.......... what about those old Mahou Shojo shows.......... like Minky Momo, Creamy Mami........ they are such classics

And don't forget all those giant robots show......... luuuuuv Mars

This column has always been a good read. Keep up the good work~
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Anyway, I would LOVE to see the original version of this movie, as I have such fond memories of watching it. Wish I could find the sub somewhere, though. I've had it on my list for forever. Crying or Very sad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly remember spoiler[the vicious beating of the dog] being one of two more extended events that were cut from the dub. What was the other?

And, while the revised dub ending may have been cheesy and overbearing, was it changed from the original drastically? How so?

Apparently the dub just cut out some slice of life moments to quicken up the pace and I think they cut out a tiny bit of the animal abuse. The dialogue from what I remember wasn't changed pretty much at all.
veester

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I watched this because my dad said it was good; that he'd rush home from school to watch it as a kid. So we bought the Hong Kong version (they still sell it at select stores) and watched it when we got home.

We all cried the first time. I cried for a good 30 minutes! I usually don't cry That long for movies...

I broguht it to my anime club, but they didn't bawl quite as much...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

There already is an English dub of Daddy Long Legs. I've got a copy.

Of course, this is a condensed-to-movie dub released on VHS in 1986 or so. A re-release of any kind would be welcome.

The encyclopedia indicates it's a dub of the 1979 TV special. I had the 1990 TV series in mind.

JET TV had an English dub of Anne of Green Gables that sounded like it was done in Canada.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I remember fishing the subbed VHS release out of a $5 bin at Suncoast many years ago. I couldn't resist a movie that openly promoted itself as a "tale of family, love, and despair."

And I got my money's worth of despair and then some, though I was amused that Patrasche's cruel former owner looked like a fatter, meaner version of Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
mokuhazushi wrote:
Just as a note, the book plays a part in the currently running series Kimikiss--Pure Rouge.
It also had a rather creative use in defeating one of the villains in Nerima Daikon Brothers Cool
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Does this look like the sub VHS to you?

Nope. THIS is the sub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4