• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney, Madhouse to Make Stitch! Show for Japanese TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't know about Stitch's popularity in Japan until now! Although I do agree it's really one of the better recent Disney movies. I think it's the last Disney movie I bothered to see in theaters (that wasn't Pixar).

I'm curious to see how it'll change the feel of Stitch, though. The movie was so based on Hawaiian culture...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Digimon_Sommelier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
A Japanese Stitch show sounds OK. Anime rocks my socks!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I also find it interesting that Gargoyles was animated in Japan. That explains so much! Like, why it was arguably the most anime-like American cartoon that aired on broadcast television.
RadicaLElly wrote:
lol, don't look into that too much. Back then outsouricng animation to Japan was the same as how most American cartoons are outsourced to Korea now. It's gotten too expensive to do in Japan anymore though as you can imagine...

Well, I think it's a bit more than typical outsourcing as is was still technically in house at Disney. Though the writing and main direction of the show was done by Americans I think. I did notice a number of Japanese names while watching eps just the other day. Now I know why. Still it is interesting. It's sad it closed down like all of Disney's other traditional animation studios. Still pissed off at the company that they did that, even if Lassiter is now in charge and bringing it back.

stopher87 wrote:
BleuVII wrote:
Like, why it was arguably the most anime-like American cartoon that aired on broadcast television.

Unless you count Teen Titans, or at least they tried to give off that impression.

Tried and failed. It's only anime influence is a very superficial way. Meanwhile I hear they're scrapping a proper adaptation of Teen Titans Judas Contract because the studio favors that anime wannabe version.
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather Madhouse work on an awesome original anime series (or a manga related anime/novel related, even non-Japanese novel, even an American comic), not a spin-off of an American childrens cartoon.

There are a hell of a lot of these non-Japanese things that are getting animated by Japanese animation studios. Batman, X-men I think? and now Lilo & Stich. Maybe this is an indication of the negative impacts that file sharing is having? Less original anime is going to be produced.

The truth of it though is probably that these aren't affecting production or planned production of any anime and everything I just wrote doesn't make any difference. Meh.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I guess this goes to the old adage that if you can make it into a cute plush, or it's weird animal that makes cute sounds, chances are it's going to be popular in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Yeah, the longevity of popular things is MUCH greater in Japan than it is in the USA.... Hello Kitty, Doraemon, Shin-chan, Snoopy, Stitch, Jack Skellington, and others that you wouldn't expect. People just latch on to them and don't let go.

In addition to these you mention, I also saw plenty of Hanna-Barbera's Muttley and for some reason, Gremlins. (In their "cute" Mogwai stage, of course.)
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
...There are a hell of a lot of these non-Japanese things that are getting animated by Japanese animation studios. Batman, X-men I think? and now Lilo & Stich...

Hey, it's only fair, since we're doing Speed Racer, Akira and Robotech over here. Equivalent exchange and all that, y'know.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't be the only one going "Oh crap, they're going to attempt to moe the hell out of Lilo", am I?
That fills me with dread of unknown sorts

GATSU wrote:
Bleu: Yeah, a KH "cartoon" was announced a while ago, but nothing really happened since then.
Yeah, word was that some disney big wigs droped a train on it at the idea of Goofy and Donald (And possibly mickey) fighting.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I can't be the only one going "Oh crap, they're going to attempt to moe the hell out of Lilo", am I?
That fills me with dread of unknown sorts

The article says Lilo won't be in it at all. There's going to be a new girl, and the name they're using for her right now is Hanako.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok then...

This is going to be Spiderman the tokosastu, all over again, isn't it?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, we give/get crap for Westerners trying to mimic/localize anime but now it's Easterners that may have this coming for Western/American animation.
kazana144

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, did anyone ever watch the japanese version of teenage mutant ninja turtles. I felt like crying it was butchered so bad, like taking a piece of my childhood and mutilating it.
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
It's no surprise that Disney is producing an anime series for Stitch. A bit sad that Lilo got replaced by a Japanese girl thou. I guess localisation doesn't happen only for foreign movies in America.

I'm very surprised that they still haven't got an anime series for Kingdom Hearts thou. It would be such a good opportunity for Disney to venture into the whole anime craze!

I remember reading from somewhere that, Disney once had an idea to produce a feature with all their characters as a celebration for Mickey Mouse's whatever birthday. The project got cancelled as it is hard to create a story with so many interesting characters in it. Now, Kingdom Hearts just solved that problem. Hopefully, they will work on an animated series in the near future.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
I'd rather Madhouse work on an awesome original anime series (or a manga related anime/novel related, even non-Japanese novel, even an American comic), not a spin-off of an American childrens cartoon.

There are a hell of a lot of these non-Japanese things that are getting animated by Japanese animation studios. Batman, X-men I think? and now Lilo & Stich. Maybe this is an indication of the negative impacts that file sharing is having? Less original anime is going to be produced.

The truth of it though is probably that these aren't affecting production or planned production of any anime and everything I just wrote doesn't make any difference. Meh.

. . . or maybe it's just companies from two different countries collaborating on something?
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
melonbread wrote:

. . . or maybe it's just companies from two different countries collaborating on something?

Nah. That's too simple.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3