• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Maria Watches over Us Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Shuffle is a harem fan-service series with panty shots & the like. Maria-sama doesn't have anything like that. While the show may focus around lesbian relationships, it plays it straight. There's nothing erotic or fan-servicey about it. Those looking for something to fap to will be sorely disappointed. However, those looking for a touching romance series will be very pleased.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I usually have no interest in shoujo-ai, but it's gotten such good reviews from fans and I really enjoy supporting TRSI, that I will probably get it. Excellent that they're going the boxset route.

I know this will make a lot of fans really happy. They've been waiting a long time for this.

It's a wonderful series. I also don't have any interest in shoujo-ai but this series is an exception, and really other than a couple examples you almost forget that that aspect is there as most of the girls are close in a platonic way anyway. If you don't mind some light melodrama and a leisurely pace, it's an incredibly relaxing show to watch.

I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not I'd buy it, but the box set release makes it easier for me if I do decide to as I can pick it up all at once for a reasonable price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Oumai wa mou de kee??!! Nozomi?!

Fuminmation said that "Shuffle" sold relatively well. But before that they said that "action/adventure" sold better than "romance" et al.

And for Marimite to get the same treatment as Emma; just a "Japanese-language-only-with-subtitles boxset."

At a time when the the anime industry wants nothing more than to be saved. They're gonna need much more than lesbians to do the job. I'm not even going to knock Marimite as something that's either good or bad.

"Chrono Crusade," "E's Otherwise," "Trinity Blood," "Zombie Loan," "Ouran's Host Club," "Grenadier..." I'll even go as far as "Claymore."

What happened to all that potential for making "good" anime? Or had the industry made their decision that they'd rather create train wrecks and fanservicy bricks since merchandising and manga sold better?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, "Sub only" seems to be code for "We have zero confidence in this show as a licence" as of late, hasn't it?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Wow, "Sub only" seems to be code for "We have zero confidence in this show as a licence" as of late, hasn't it?

Or rather, "the only people interested in this don't care about dubs anyway".

I liked Marimite...but I don't think I'll buy it. So much of the plot revolves around simple misunderstandings and failures to communicate...doesn't make for a good second viewing.
stckinva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see this.

The second half of the second season is train wreck, to be sure, but I still enjoy it. A must-get for me.

I only hope that they put the episodes back in the right order (Not being picky, just a faint hope...).

Edit: If I could type... Rolling Eyes
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so this is the big announcement people have been talking about? What a disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

You can have sub-only box sets for $50 and they'll still turn a profit, or you can have 4 individual disc releases for $30 each for them to get a return on the investment needed to produce a dub which the bulk of the audience for this show are not even going to listen to. Sub-only makes a lot of sense and should result in a lot more sales.

Tyrenol wrote:
What happened to all that potential for making "good" anime?

Marimite is "good" anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
NO. FREAKING. WAY!

I LOVE Marimite. Putting this out in a Box Set is definitely the best way to go. The series is slow as hell, but it's utterly fantastic.

I couldn't imagine a dub for this anyways. It's full of 'gokigenyou' and 'onee-sama' which wouldn't translate too well to English anyways (and I'm a dub fan).

Brilliant. Just brilliant. One of the best anime released in the past 5-10 years is finally being released.

Now if only someone would release the novels....
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I am ECSTATIC.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Wow, so this is the big announcement people have been talking about? What a disappointment.

It's the first of four announcements Nozomi/TRSI has planned for at least the first half of the year.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I wouldn't call it a disappointment, but I do see it as more of a "some people will be thrilled, most won't care" announcement. IIRC information once surfaced on AoD that Geneon had planned to release this series, also with sub-only boxed sets. But that was cancelled and denied long before Geneon's shutdown came about.

I haven't seen Marimite beyond an episode or so, but I'm willing to pick these sets up...I treat Rightstuf like a favorite fansub group in the sense of "if they're releasing it, it must be worth buying." Now to wait for a 20-30% off storewide sale to bring the price down as much as possible.

And I wasn't at all surprised to see the sub-only format. But at least this show doesn't seem as affected as Emma by the absence of an English dub.
Tyrenol wrote:

"Chrono Crusade," "E's Otherwise," "Trinity Blood," "Zombie Loan," "Ouran's Host Club," "Grenadier..." I'll even go as far as "Claymore."

What happened to all that potential for making "good" anime? Or had the industry made their decision that they'd rather create train wrecks and fanservicy bricks since merchandising and manga sold better?
I don't know, E's Otherwise and Trinity Blood fit all the requirements of a trainwreck to me. Admittedly, they were entertaining, action-packed, mainstream-accessible trainwrecks, so you have a point. I think they should take it a step further and go back to the late 90s and shows like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Slayers...oh wait, two out of three ain't bad!
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing such great things with this show, I'm really excited it got a license. I'll be renting it first, for sure, but if it's good I have no problem picking it up.

Going for a cheaper sub-only box set was definitely the way to go.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
I've been hearing such great things with this show, I'm really excited it got a license. I'll be renting it first, for sure, but if it's good I have no problem picking it up.

I'm planning on renting it too, but based on the comments that I've been receiving so far in a thread I started on another forum, it looks like that Maria-sama ga Miteru is a very heavy character-driven show, which is something that's right up my alley. Cool
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Woot! I'm excited that this has finally been licensed, and at a reasonable price (unlike True Tears). And I disagree with a previous poster--I like the second season better than the first, and I think the second half thereof is especially powerful. But tastes differ. It's definitely a slow, character- and relationship-driven series, but it has some good humor as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5