• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Maria Watches over Us Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Love the series, but personally I don't see how this will sell well in the US.

Probably quite well. A Funimation rep. said that Shuffle had sold very well so far, and they're going to possibly give it the box treatment because of that, and seeing as that has done well, I don't see why Maria-sama won't.

All these kind of series seem to do well enough.

Just wondering but do you have a source for this statement?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I am ecstatic. Nozomi just won 2008. Very few license announcements could make me more excited that this.

NegativeZero wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Wow, "Sub only" seems to be code for "We have zero confidence in this show as a licence" as of late, hasn't it?

You can have sub-only box sets for $50 and they'll still turn a profit, or you can have 4 individual disc releases for $30 each for them to get a return on the investment needed to produce a dub which the bulk of the audience for this show are not even going to listen to. Sub-only makes a lot of sense and should result in a lot more sales.

And each of those singles would have to sell a lot more to recoup the costs for the dub. There's just no way MariMite would meet those sale's requirements to break even, let alone make a profit.

stckinva wrote:
I only hope that they put the episodes back in the right order (Not being picky, just a faint hope...).

What on earth are you talking about?

nhat wrote:
melonbread wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Love the series, but personally I don't see how this will sell well in the US.

Probably quite well. A Funimation rep. said that Shuffle had sold very well so far, and they're going to possibly give it the box treatment because of that, and seeing as that has done well, I don't see why Maria-sama won't.

All these kind of series seem to do well enough.

Just wondering but do you have a source for this statement?

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/29377/tp/1/

Not that it means anything at all for MariMite of course. But there is a decent chance Shuffle will get a box with the last volume.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, $50 for a 13-episode boxset. See, now that seems reasonable. Now to ponder whether to get this since I have other series to collect. In any case for us yuri fans, the series now left unlicensed are Yamibou, Blue Drop, and Candy Boy.
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

stckinva wrote:
I only hope that they put the episodes back in the right order (Not being picky, just a faint hope...).

What on earth are you talking about?

Just a guess, but could it be a reference to the Valentine's Day episode airing before the Christmas episode?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Hmmm, $50 for a 13-episode boxset. See, now that seems reasonable. Now to ponder whether to get this since I have other series to collect. In any case for us yuri fans, the series now left unlicensed are Yamibou, Blue Drop, and Candy Boy.

And while the central relationship isn't yuri, Touka Gettan has a lot for yuri fans to like. And its by the same people who did YamiBou. spoiler[Lilith and Hazuki even make a cameo appearance in one episode]

strephon wrote:
Just a guess, but could it be a reference to the Valentine's Day episode airing before the Christmas episode?

Maybe, I've no idea. But if that's what he's complaining about, that won't be changed. Nozomi isn't going to mess with the episode order.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

And while the central relationship isn't yuri, Touka Gettan has a lot for yuri fans to like. And its by the same people who did YamiBou. spoiler[Lilith and Hazuki even make a cameo appearance in one episode]

Ahhh yes, Touka Gettan! That is such a freakin' odd title on every single aspect (except for character designs since those were freakin' HAWT) which pretty much confirmed it to be sub-only if it ever gets licensed. Though I have to say, when they get to the yuri, they "really" get to the yuri (well, more specifically that blonde chick who got kissed and groped by a vampire chick and latter a catgirl).
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I still like this title... I hope it does well but am saddened it will be sub only.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
This is the "major licensing announcement?" Marimite is a niche title as far as the US is concerned. While I am disappointed that they did not license what I was hoping for (namely Geneon rescues), I love this series regardless and cannot wait to own it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
This is the "major licensing announcement?" Marimite is a niche title as far as the US is concerned. While I am disappointed that they did not license what I was hoping for (namely Geneon rescues), I love this series regardless and cannot wait to own it.

Well there's still a possibility for that. This is just one of the planned announcements Nozomi has for the season. There'll be more from them in the near future.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I think that this is major in a way, Right Stuf carries some weight at least... I am sure there will be Geneon announcements it is just too soon for those perhaps.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Ryokosha wrote:
I think that this is major in a way, Right Stuf carries some weight at least... I am sure there will be Geneon announcements it is just too soon for those perhaps.

I would probably say that by around AX2008 we might hear something about the Geneon situation - at least I hope so. Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Or rather, "the only people interested in this don't care about dubs anyway".
Want to know something really sad? I was interested in this one and would have easily been willing to pay through the nose. However, lack of dub equals lack of sale for me.

Oh well, I have an ever growing list of PVCs to buy and I'm following several longer series, so I guess it all works out. Depressingly but it does.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the lack of sale without a dub train. I respect that they are trying to sell at a cheaper price, but I'm one of the few that can't stand reading subs on my tiny old TV and actually like dubs with my anime. Not to say I wont consider it. If I hear even more really good things about it then I might go for it. I still think Emma was possibly the ONLY series I know that really needed a dub.
Heretic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I will be getting this, keep up the good work Nozomi/Right Stuf.
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

Actually, this is a Geneon rescue. Remember the leaked solicitation and the domain registration of a bunch of titles some time back? Maria-sama was one of them, and the only one to never get a formal announcement. I suspect the 4th and final clue that Shawne left over at AoD is in regards to something they've worked out with Geneon for a broader set of titles. I'm hoping, anyway.

As to the license itself, I'm thrilled. Way too often these things are for titles we knew were coming and are in no way surprised, and they're too often titles I have no interest in. This time, I can't wait to get my hands on the sets. I love TRSI!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5