• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Maria Watches over Us Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
I respect that they are trying to sell at a cheaper price...

I'm not coming down on you for wanting a dub, but I think you missed the point here. They didn't omit the dub on this (or Emma or SuperGals) so they could sell them for a cheaper price. They did it because they can't sell enough units to make enough money to cover the dubbing costs. The reality is these shows, even with a dub, don't sell that many units. And the loss of the dub audience isn't going to hurt them because fans of the show will buy regardless. Except for the hypocrites who had no problem watching it all fansubbed but who are grasping at the no dub thing as an excuse not to support the show after watching it all (if you can watch fansubs, you can watch a subbed dvd). Those kinds of fans are what's bringing the industry down.
RedTigerWolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Ari-chan wrote:
I respect that they are trying to sell at a cheaper price...

I'm not coming down on you for wanting a dub, but I think you missed the point here. They didn't omit the dub on this (or Emma or SuperGals) so they could sell them for a cheaper price. They did it because they can't sell enough units to make enough money to cover the dubbing costs. The reality is these shows, even with a dub, don't sell that many units. And the loss of the dub audience isn't going to hurt them because fans of the show will buy regardless. Except for the hypocrites who had no problem watching it all fansubbed but who are grasping at the no dub thing as an excuse not to support the show after watching it all (if you can watch fansubs, you can watch a subbed dvd). Those kinds of fans are what's bringing the industry down.

TRUTH

Also, thank goodness it won't be dubbed. Not only would that ruin the show, but it means it'll come out faster. Death to dubs.

The big problem I'm seeing is, I hope it gets released to Blu ray or something, honestly, DVD's are the old format. Buying DVD's, and especially anime DVD's is becoming a bad investment, because you know the technology will be outdated by Blu ray in a year or so. And then just be rereleased on Blu ray. Just like shows were rereleased from VHS to DVD. Yes, I know there's more to that than that, cause that was from magnetic strips in a plastic box to a digital disc.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. Rolling Eyes

But it is a tough realization that upcoming niche series are going to sub-only (and it would have been cool to hear some of our favorite female VAs going "pseudo-gay" towards each other Surprised). Well, at least they're not going to be hideously overpriced which makes this a bit more attractive.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm mixed on the Marimite license. It was a surprise to see it licensed and it's not something I'm too interested in but new licenses are always a good sign for the R1 anime industry.

Crawly wrote:
Actually, this is a Geneon rescue. Remember the leaked solicitation and the domain registration of a bunch of titles some time back? Maria-sama was one of them, and the only one to never get a formal announcement. I suspect the 4th and final clue that Shawne left over at AoD is in regards to something they've worked out with Geneon for a broader set of titles. I'm hoping, anyway.

As to the license itself, I'm thrilled. Way too often these things are for titles we knew were coming and are in no way surprised, and they're too often titles I have no interest in. This time, I can't wait to get my hands on the sets. I love TRSI!

There's no way to prove Geneon ever actually had the title. For all we know they might have had it but decided drop the license.

RedTigerWolf wrote:
TRUTH

Also, thank goodness it won't be dubbed. Not only would that ruin the show, but it means it'll come out faster. Death to dubs.

The big problem I'm seeing is, I hope it gets released to Blu ray or something, honestly, DVD's are the old format. Buying DVD's, and especially anime DVD's is becoming a bad investment, because you know the technology will be outdated by Blu ray in a year or so. And then just be rereleased on Blu ray. Just like shows were rereleased from VHS to DVD.

Wow so much ignorance from one person it's funny (and sad). Laughing I'll ignore the the sub part and only address the Blu-ray part since you're 100% wrong: it will take BD much longer than a year to reach the penetration that the DVD market has.
Heretic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
The difference with DVD to Blu-ray vs VHS to DVD is that when upgrading to DVD you didn't need to buy a $1,500+ TV to take advantage of the DVDs capabilities. I think it will take longer for Blu-ray to gain dominance in the market than it did for DVDs.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I haven't seen Marimite beyond an episode or so, but I'm willing to pick these sets up...I treat Rightstuf like a favorite fansub group in the sense of "if they're releasing it, it must be worth buying." Now to wait for a 20-30% off storewide sale to bring the price down as much as possible.

If you're only looking for 20-30% off the MSRP, the listing on RightStuf's page is for 25% off ($37.49). Their GotAnime discount will bring it down to about $33.75. I just pre-ordered all three sets (and double-dipped on #1)... If they hold a RightStuf/Nozomi studio sale at some point in the future, then I can just cancel and re-order.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Crawly (in-line quote restored for my response) wrote:
Ari-chan wrote:
I'm on the lack of sale without a dub train. I respect that they are trying to sell at a cheaper price, but I'm one of the few that can't stand reading subs on my tiny old TV and actually like dubs with my anime. Not to say I wont consider it. If I hear even more really good things about it then I might go for it. I still think Emma was possibly the ONLY series I know that really needed a dub.

I must also punch my ticket on this train and am a card carrying non-hypocrite. I would ask the other side of your question: we all know that sales suffer from lack of dub (personal preferences mean little, a product in the native language to the market it releases in will have a sales advantage in the population over a comprable product that does not,) but would the added price to cover a dub cause the sub-fans to significantly drop? It is hard to completely discount that these are the fans who would be more comfortable (strictly from a content comparison) in "finding other alternatives." Shouldn't those fans already interested in the show be willing to pay a little more if those of us who are only curious but do not want to call out "down in front, we can't hear!" would? Increased sales encourage licenses even at constant margins. Besides, it is nearly impossible to grow a market simply by selling to your devoted customers.

PS - subs are even worse on larger tvs because of upscaling artifacts and the increased time/eye-motion required to read across a larger field of view.
fightncomet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
I only wish that Nozomi would give the pre-order people an opportunity to have their names put in the thanks section like they did for Emma. Because I'm pre-ordering this for sure!
BluMeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Marimite didn't need a dub, too based in Japanese society and what not. However, Emma with a dub could have been good, assuming they assembled a cast of ACTUAL British voice actors and not Americans trying to force English accents, which would have made me facepalm and punch a wall. I can't wait to own Emma.
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
I've never seen the show, but shouldn't the translation be "Mary Watches Over Us"? Unless there's a character named Maria?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
RedTigerWolf wrote:
Buying DVD's, and especially anime DVD's is becoming a bad investment

Purchasing VHS, cassettes, CDs, vinyl records, HD/Blu-ray, or DVDs of any kind in not an investment. It's an expense, and always will be. Therefore it's never been good nor bad, because that's not what it is. It's entertainment. People often make that mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

I must also punch my ticket on this train and am a card carrying non-hypocrite. I would ask the other side of your question: we all know that sales suffer from lack of dub (personal preferences mean little, a product in the native language to the market it releases in will have a sales advantage in the population over a comprable product that does not,) but would the added price to cover a dub cause the sub-fans to significantly drop? It is hard to completely discount that these are the fans who would be more comfortable (strictly from a content comparison) in "finding other alternatives."

First, sub fans dropping isn't really the problem, but releasing it as singles instead of a set (or otherwise increasing the price) would definitely lose some buyers, and not necessarily the people who have already seen it. Some people are blind buying this even and they would lose interest in trying it if it was released in singles or had a price increase. The real issue is that dubbing is expensive and that including a dub increases the number of copies that need to be sold to break even drastically. MariMite (and Emma) have no mainstream potential. There is no way that the presence of a dub would increase the sales enough to justify the cost.

Quote:
Shouldn't those fans already interested in the show be willing to pay a little more if those of us who are only curious but do not want to call out "down in front, we can't hear!" would? Increased sales encourage licenses even at constant margins. Besides, it is nearly impossible to grow a market simply by selling to your devoted customers.

Again, if the price is raised, you also lose some of those people that were only curious. And if someone should be paying more, shouldn't the ones that want the expensive dub be the ones footing the bill? Anyway, increased sales don't necessarily mean increased profit. If you get an additional 20% sales (minus the 10% blind buys you lost...) but increased the expenses by 80%, you just went in the red. And going in the red does not encourage one to continue doing whatever it was that caused them to go in the red.

I hear this market growth argument a lot, but I don't think it holds any water. Most titles are still dubbed, titles with much more mainstream potential than MariMite, Emma, Strawberry Panic, or True Tears. But the market isn't growing. In fact, it's been shrinking for years and these dub-less releases are at least partially in reaction to that. Simply slapping a dub on something won't make the market grow. Not every release is going to expand the market; in fact, most won't. Certainly not the niche titles Nozomi is going after (though you might be able to make an argument for some of BV or MB's titles, but not many of them).
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
If only someone licensed the Marimite manga...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
I have never heard of this title. Its a maybe.
But I like yuri. I'm confused, if they aren't having a dub why are there two people in the dub cast playing the two main charcters?

I feel you richard, I don't like to buy sub only dvds. (with the exception of Sailor Moon) I'd rather have both to switch back in forth. It took me a long to decide to buy SuperGals S2. I only got it because it was cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

But I like yuri. I'm confused, if they aren't having a dub why are there two people in the dub cast playing the two main charcters?

Because there was an English dub for Southeast Asia. But even that would cost money to license and while it might be cheaper than creating one here in R1, it would still add expenses and would probably not be cheap enough. And it might be a lousy dub, too, and if so it would be additional expense for something that would not please the very people they were trying to get to buy their product. Anyway, the dub is for another region.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5