• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Maria Watches over Us Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
And if someone should be paying more, shouldn't the ones that want the expensive dub be the ones footing the bill? Anyway, increased sales don't necessarily mean increased profit. If you get an additional 20% sales (minus the 10% blind buys you lost...) but increased the expenses by 80%, you just went in the red. And going in the red does not encourage one to continue doing whatever it was that caused them to go in the red.

This is it exactly. The dub, even at the cost of a standard 4 episode disc, won't bring in enough sales to cover the cost of creating the dub, which can double or more the production costs of a series. They're aren't enough people willing to buy this show just because a dub is included and the loss of those who won't buy because there is no dub is negligible for a show like this. This won't have a wide, mainstream audience dub or not, and the real fans of the series don't care.

By the by, whoever said subtitles look bad on a big tv needs to get a new tv. They look fine on ours and we don't have artifact or any other kinds of problems.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:

I couldn't imagine a dub for this anyways. It's full of 'gokigenyou' and 'onee-sama' which wouldn't translate too well to English anyways (and I'm a dub fan).

There WAS an English dub on Animax that translated "gokigenyou" as "Good day to you." (which is what it really means) Dunno about "onee-sama" though.

A dub would help because of the mispronounced French in the Japanese version Razz
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

There WAS an English dub on Animax that translated "gokigenyou" as "Good day to you." (which is what it really means) Dunno about "onee-sama" though.

Marimite is one series where having the characters refer to each other as "sister" in English wouldn't sound too badly out of place. Normally it sounds unnaturally formal (unless it's a situation that's familiar enough that "sis" can be used instead), but the relationships between the Roses have a ritualized and formal aspect to them anyway. (Although, given the Catholic setting, it might mislead viewers into thinking that the characters are all nuns...)
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
If Geneon didn't go under this would have been their title too... Crying or Very sad
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty nice package. For a lesser known and niche show like this, that's a smart way to do it. I'm not too interested in it, not really spending much on DVD and anime right now, but that is a nice little package.

Twage wrote:
I've never seen the show, but shouldn't the translation be "Mary Watches Over Us"? Unless there's a character named Maria?

The title sounds pretty good. Maria Watches Over Us. Maybe it could have been Mother or Holy Mary / Maria, for the 'sama', but maybe they want to avoid the religious right picking up on this show.

Though I wonder where this takes place. In Japan, right? Some places the Virgin Mary is called Maria. I know from German class at a Catholic School, and the E Nomine techno version, the Hail Mary was "Heilige Maria." So do they call Mary as Maria in Japanese Catholic Churches and schools?

Actually, it seems most languages call her Maria. The English translation of Mary is the odd ball.
http://www.ourladyweb.com/mary-avemaria.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_%28mother_of_Jesus%29

Of course, Mary was Jewish and spoke local dialect of Arameic. Possibly Greek. It says there that Miriam would have been the related Hebrew. The Gospels were written in ancient Greek, the international language of the time. I'm pretty sure the Greek is a form of Maria. Though in services in Eastern churches she's oftern referred to as the Theotokos, a holy title for virgin mother of God. (Theo- being Greek for God.) The Catholics and western church called her the Maddona. (Then again the Catholics also say she was immaculately conceived, full of grace. I have no idea where they invented that from. The rest of Christianity believed she was Holy.. but not that much.)

Last edited by The Xenos on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Though I wonder where this takes place. In Japan, right? Some places the Virgin Mary is called Maria. I know from German class at a Catholic School, and the E Nomine techno version, the Hail Mary was "Heilige Maria." So do they call Mary as Maria in Japanese Catholic Churches and schools?

Yes, it takes place in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5