• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Resurrection of Answerman

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It's the media. How many high school/college movies do you see with the Arrogant Guy vs the Shy Underdog?

It's so common, I guess it would be considered normal.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Agree with Zac on Harem shows. All are simply unwatchable in my eyes. Though thruthfully the fact that I am a girl probably has a lot to do with it. I am clearly not the target audience. However the target audience may need a good slap if they are identifying with the heros.

I find them better to read, if and when the storyline looks in the least appealing. I stay away from the more popular stories though, since they tend to be of one that repeats with more punches and fanservice. Some stories I have found to be interesting though, even when the main character is still a weak willed doofus.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
I used to be fairly adamantly against Pioneer/Geneon due to the outrageous prices of their DVDs and because fo the episode-per-DVD ratio. Why was Funimation able to cram six episodes of Fruits Basket on a DVD + extras but Geneon couldn't?

Geneon's DVDs (for the last 3-4 years at least) have superior video quality compared to Funimation. I have compared DVDs from both companies on my computer screen.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
Deleted. What's with my persecution complex here? I was messed up.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Zac, are you implying with this and with your earlier message that I'm misognyistic because of a joke I made? I'll have you know that even though I am a shy recluse, I don't feel I'm owed a partner. I haven't attempted to date anyone in my life, and that I haven't pursued love because I don't have a job.

I know you like to insult people you meet on the Internet on a day by day basis (that's why many of us love you), but I'm honestly perturbed here.

PS: Please remember that I'm not being rhetorical or sarcastic with any of my questions.

I'm not implying or insinuating anything. I said what I meant, very directly.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
Deleted persecution complex crap. I don't want to be included in any "group" that would have guys like the old version of me as a member. I apologize for this crap.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Zac wrote:
I'm not talking about you directly, but guys who describe themselves as a "nice guy, why am I unlucky in love, girls only like jerks!" are very commonly pedantic, surprisingly shallow, possessive, a little creepy and they tend to come across as though they are "owed" a partner because they don't act like traditional frat boys and therefore should be provided one. They come across as bizarrely entitled, angry and desperate, lacking in personal confidence. They also almost always harbor a nasty misogynistic streak, which really comes out when you ask them why they have trouble with women. It's the girl's fault she doesn't want a "nice guy", not his fault for having a terrible personality.
I guess I just haven't run into someone like this (not that I'm looking men but I do listen to people's relationship gripes a lot.) Although you weren't talking about me, I can admit to being a little creepy and laking in personal confidence.

I have the perfect example of this kind of "nice guy." His name is Chad. He's a friend of the guy who got me into anime. So I got to know him going through high school. I heard from others, and his own mouth, him describe himself as a nice guy. He would mention how kind he is and how nice he is and how he would never treat a lady like many of those other guys, such as "jocks", would. The thing is he didn't want a gf, he wanted Aoi Sakuraba in the flesh basically. By that I mean he wanted a girl to basically worship him. But he's so much nicer then the other guys so he deserves it right? Rolling Eyes I think those, and other types similar, are the ones Zac is referring to. Basically they're not really nice guys at all. They're just as bad as the "jocks" or wife beaters, just in a different way. Instead of treating women poorly physically, or by cheating, they treat them poorly emotionally. One form is not worse then another.

I also think the term "nice guy" is just over used and honestly not a good judgment of someone's character. I mean a guy/girl can be nice to their parents or siblings for example but a complete ass to their significant other. If you only saw him interact with his family you'd probably say he/she is a nice person would you not? Then if you heard them belittle their bf/gf your opinion might change. I also think the term nice guy is over used by single guys who use it as some sort of qualifier when trying to pick up women. Yet many seem to forget to add one other characteristics that might also be helpful. Ideas like being open minded, fair, romantic, etc. Simply being "nice" is often just a fall back by men/women when they can't get a date and are passed over by the opposite sex. Being nice is a good thing but you might want to add a little depth and character to the equation as well. I also find it to be more meaningful when someone says they try to be nice and fair instead of simply claiming they are nice. If I hear someone say they try to be nice instead of simply saying they are I tend to think that person understands they're not nice all the time and accept they're human and make mistakes. Often someone who simply claims to be nice overlooks their own flaws and have an over inflated opinion of themselves.

Quote:
My point is that people are rarely self aware enough to accurately assess their failings. Everyone thinks their nice!

That often is true in terms of personal awareness, but if you spend 5 minutes listening to the opinions of those close to you then you can very often find out what exactly are your failings. It's not very hard honestly. All it requires is you asking those close to you what they think they are. If a handful say the same thing then you might just wanna listen to them.

Fiction Alchemist wrote:
And... You meant it as an insult to me, then, or a group including me, and that was your intention?

That's not very nice, Zac. Cool

I think you're taking things too personally honestly.
Kyrie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
i must say I've been away too long. how i miss the dicussion of anime and the stuff in between and ...lets not forget the forum. hearing newtype leaving and speed reading throught Answerman page...... make me love anime even more.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
Deleted. I was an asshole. I'm sorry now.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Steroid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
(I had this posted about 8 hours earlier, but it seems to have vanished. Forum glitch, I assume. Thank goodness for the cache!)

There is a difference between not doing anything not-nice and actually being nice. It's like that exchange from The Breakup: it's not enough to be willing to do dishes, the guy has to want to do dishes. Most guys feel, and I agree, that if you're willing to do the big stuff, doing the little stuff, and feeling any stuff, shouldn't matter.

CCSYueh wrote:
The starving student line is bs. You don't have the right to have anime. If you can't afford it, do without. If I have enough money to go to a restaurant, I go. If I don't have the sapre cash this week, I don't order the food & then leave without paying because I don't have the money.

But at what point does it stop? Even if I work to get the money, I use it, and then run out. How much work do I have to do before you all say, OK, you don't have to do any more, take whatever you want. If there is no limit, then why should I listen to you at all and not just take what I want now?

Quote:
And that whole copyright thing all you guys tread out each time is bogus & you know it. Shareware is free. Other software isn't.

I almost wish the same forces against fansubs and file sharing were against freeware and personal Youtube videos also, on the grounds that they took money away from for-pay producers. Then they could go into the underground, but every sensible person would be on board. Like when the Science Fiction Writers Association sent a list of takedown notices to Scribd, and got some Creative Commons works on the list by mistake, the authors of those works raised holy hell, rightly so. If nothing else, I hope we can agree that someone has the right to give away a work they've created, and that if someone tries to stop them, it's right to go ahead and give it anyway by hidden means.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
If you had read what I had posted, then you would see that your comment also applied to me. Disqualifying it for Matt doesn't change its application to me in any way, which I maintain was just as obnoxious as your implication that I can't read.

Well....maybe since I wasn't talking about you at all and you apparently aren't like that...you should...I dunno...get over it? You might just be making a teeny bit too big a deal of this. Time to let go. Life goes on.

I should clarify though, I was implying that you did not read my post. I have no doubt however that you can in fact read just fine when you attempt to do so. Otherwise I would really question what you're doing on an internet forum. Wink

Moving on...About this whole "nice guy" discussion. I think in the end, Zac had it right with what he said in the article.

"in order to actually attract an adult woman you have to bathe, pay attention to your wardrobe, learn social skills, stop being a social leper and actually become a functioning, normal adult"

It has nothing to do with whether you're a nice guy or a jerk specifically. Girls are attracted to guys who take care of their appearance and have good social skills. I think if you divide guys by this you will find that there are plenty of both jerks and nice guys in both groups.

I think Zac is sort of right in that the term "nice guy" has become overused. Every guy who doesn't do well with women likes to label himself a "nice guy". In a lot of cases these guys really aren't nice at all. However, I don't think it's fair to say that most of the people who call themselves "nice guys" aren't just that. Or at least, the percentage of people who are jerks is no higher than it is with people with good social skills. If so it is simply because nobody is perfect. In all likelihood the majority of people in general have some sort of relationship hangups and flaws.

There are plenty of guys lacking in social skills who are jerks. There are plenty of guys with social skills who are jerks. There are guys with poor social skills who are genuinely nice guys. There are guys with good social skills who are genuinely nice guys. I of course am the latter as I am unbelievably awesome.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The thing is he didn't want a gf, he wanted Aoi Sakuraba in the flesh basically. By that I mean he wanted a girl to basically worship him. But he's so much nicer then the other guys so he deserves it right? Rolling Eyes I think those, and other types similar, are the ones Zac is referring to.
Of all the women in anime, Aoi is the one personality type that would eventually drive me insane. Too much sincere acceptance. I need someone to actually conflict with my personality.

I think you phrased things a bit less cynically than Zac.

ikillchicken wrote:
There are plenty of guys lacking in social skills who are jerks. There are plenty of guys with social skills who are jerks. There are guys with poor social skills who are genuinely nice guys. There are guys with good social skills who are genuinely nice guys. I of course am the latter as I am unbelievably awesome.
Can I become your disciple and learn the ways of awesome from you? Wink

Eh, I'm off to take a test in Justice and Ethics so I'll check in again much later.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
The thing is he didn't want a gf, he wanted Aoi Sakuraba in the flesh basically. By that I mean he wanted a girl to basically worship him. But he's so much nicer then the other guys so he deserves it right? Rolling Eyes I think those, and other types similar, are the ones Zac is referring to.
Of all the women in anime, Aoi is the one personality type that would eventually drive me insane. Too much sincere acceptance. I need someone to actually conflict with my personality.

I think you phrased things a bit less cynically than Zac.

Thanks.....I think heh (though I didn't see Zac as being that cynical personally). I was just trying to provide a specific real world example for those who might not see where other's may be coming from. I didn't even mention the guys tendencies towards stalking nor any of the other things I could mention about him. Needless to say he is not right in the head, and I do mean that literally. The thing is if you only saw him interact with his family you'd think he was a "nice guy." Just God help you if you're a woman and have a pulse, and if you're the quieter type just run for your life. His type tend to like to prey on those with lower self esteem already to make themselves feel better about their own inadequateness.

I also, while loving the series, must agree that the Aoi character type, and Belldandy's too unfortunately, are on the low end of what I think a woman should be like. It's better then being a cheating floozy or manipulative $%^%$ but it's still nice to have a woman with a little something scientists call a spine.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
But at what point does it stop? Even if I work to get the money, I use it, and then run out. How much work do I have to do before you all say, OK, you don't have to do any more, take whatever you want. If there is no limit, then why should I listen to you at all and not just take what I want now?

You keep working. This is a simple fact of life. You need to work to buy things you want. There's no point where you buy enough anime regularly to say "Oh, I can download a few series, I buy enough."

I've said it many times. People are not entitled to anime. Just because I'm a fan of Dodge Vipers doesn't mean I can go to a dealership and steal one.

Quote:
I almost wish the same forces against fansubs and file sharing were against freeware and personal Youtube videos also, on the grounds that they took money away from for-pay producers. Then they could go into the underground, but every sensible person would be on board. Like when the Science Fiction Writers Association sent a list of takedown notices to Scribd, and got some Creative Commons works on the list by mistake, the authors of those works raised holy hell, rightly so. If nothing else, I hope we can agree that someone has the right to give away a work they've created, and that if someone tries to stop them, it's right to go ahead and give it anyway by hidden means.

What does that have to do with anything? So because a few stories were wrongfully taken down, we should all jump on the piracy bandwagon, download series enmasse, and put the anime industry in Japan out of business? What sort of thinking is that?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
I've said it many times. People are not entitled to anime. Just because I'm a fan of Dodge Vipers doesn't mean I can go to a dealership and steal one.

Ah, yes you can.

You are right when you say that people are not entitled to Anime.

But, you have to ask yourself why people are still breaking the law and downloading the fansubs.

Steal a Viper, and you get chased by the police. Several patrol cars, maybe a helicopter or two if you are pretty evasive. You get caught, as most criminals on the police-chase videos do, and you get a couple of years in jail. Hence, few people steal Vipers.

Steal an episode (which is debatable - can one even steal a file on bittorrent? I think what people mean is to steal a sale), and no-one comes after you. If they do, in those well-publicised, ultra rare cases, then you are liable for a whopping fine. A quarter of a million dollars, American currency.

But does this fine stop anyone? No, because the chances of getting caught are slim. Even a disproportionately harsh punishment cannot deter people. Hence, many people downloading fansubs.

Those who argue that people should be entitled to free Anime are grasping at straws. Surely they cannot truly believe that.

But those who are against fansubs should learn that consumers are very rational (in economic theory, that is an important assumption). We will do as we like, if we think it is worth it. So, do not blame us. Do not develop Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) from slugging the idiots on the opposing side. The ones that want free, fast Anime all the time, and see it as a right.

Instead, find a way to correct our "wayward" behaviour. People will still download illegally until it is either too risky, or if there is a better alternative. A much better use of your brain, I think.

Simple, no?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15