• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Resurrection of Answerman

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:
I won't argue that they never are - and I'm not saying that R1 translations are always better, even though I firmly believe in the notion that a paid professional is generally going to turn in better results than an amateur doing it for personal glory -

So how much did TOKYOPOP pay you to say that, huh?

I just don't get this. What possible reason is there to not think that professionals would do a better job than amateur fansubbers? I'm honestly asking. What is the argument for this?

"Giffenizing" Battle Royale, the entire Battle Vixens series, the whole "Street Slang" and Wrong car info in Initial D.......want me to continue?
What makes you think "Inital D" was "professionally " translated? I consider that title as an example of what could go wrong when a fansubber is hired to subtitle a series by a "licensed" company. Rolling Eyes
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
"Giffenizing" Battle Royale, the entire Battle Vixens series, the whole "Street Slang"

Those are bad re-writes rather than bad translations. Not the same thing at all.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:47 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
"Giffenizing" Battle Royale, the entire Battle Vixens series, the whole "Street Slang"

Those are bad re-writes rather than bad translations. Not the same thing at all.

Having separate translators and re-writers does add another layer. Understandable for dub scripts, but not for subtitles and manga, other than scheduling concerns. Prose translations don't typically have separate translators and re-writers, for instance.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For once, I'd like to see a harem comedy or a shonen romance have a male character who starts out being a pathetic loser and learns that in order to actually attract an adult woman you have to bathe, pay attention to your wardrobe, learn social skills, stop being a social leper and actually become a functioning, normal adult, rather than suggesting that some day a buxom alien girl with little knowledge of human sexual behavior will fall into your lap and find your toxic personality charming and sexy.

What I'd like to see is one in which a nerdy female encountered a harem of swarthy alien men. See, this is why femininity is so illogical. Men know that quantity counts. More women > less women. Bigger > smaller. For goodness's sake, ladies, pick a body part and we'll figure out how to implant it and you'll get it. Your typical male anime fan is willing to change, and willing to be the ancillary character rather than the protagonist. What he isn't ready to do is be human, flawed, half-way.

Quote:
If you don't actually speak the language beyond knowing a few basic phrases here and there, you have no business criticizing a translation whatsoever, aside from basic stylistic choices that stem from completely subjective personal standards. . . . even though I firmly believe in the notion that a paid professional is generally going to turn in better results than an amateur doing it for personal glory

But how can you judge, unless you speak the language. That must be a subjective personal standard. I'd actually like to know your reasoning on this. Why does a paid proffessional turn in better results?

Matt the former downloader wrote:
Also, in response to your idea about a derisive name for the fansubbers and downloaders I'd like to suggest one: Anime Lamprey.
It's got consonance. . .

One m does not consonance make. Assonance maybe, if you want to play around and pronounce it lam-pee-ray. Hey. maybe that's a good word for the people who don't like fansubs: assonants.

I also wonder, if Matt was such a torrent lover, why he cared about the R1 industry. If it goes away, BFD, the torrents will still be there.
DanQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
@Sir Rednal: *checks Yucie off of the lists of shows I don't need to watch anymore*

Thanks, jerk.

Well, maybe Mr. Rednal isn't one to blame. (Hm... but who is? Blame Mr. Bertschy? Maybe articles should have this "spoiler" function such as formus have ~_^)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Serge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
Matt, what exactly did Greg Ayres say in his Speech? Just Curious.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Did someone really say that Grave of the Fireflies was less successful than Haruhi? Are there any numbers to back that up? I find that hard to believe.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0b8bEaT4I

Go ahead and watch for yourself.

Keep in mind how biased he is mind you, but he does touch on some good points.

-Tofu
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

Greg gives a fansub panel at a lot of the cons he visits, and he's very good at getting his point across. For those of you who want to check it out, the entire panel from Sogen Con 2007 (October '07) is here.

Incidentally, in the same panel, he quotes a previous Answerman column that Zac wrote. Smile
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
People in Japan have the ability to watch the shows for free on television, although of course it is supported by ad revenues from commercials, while most anime released in the US don't see a television airing on a mainstream cable station.

Since when exactly has television been completely free in Japan? My Japanese friends are curious, because they keep getting these bills every month and yet hear constantly from their American counterparts about how lucky they are to live in the land of free anime.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:

Since when exactly has television been completely free in Japan? My Japanese friends are curious, because they keep getting these bills every month and yet hear constantly from their American counterparts about how lucky they are to live in the land of free anime.

Do you mean the NHK license fee? That only pays for NHK's programming so it can stay ad-free. Commercial TV stations don't get any of it.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Way to go matt, suck up much?

kira uzumaki wrote:
what does he want a cookie or something

ikillchicken wrote:
Ah yes the "reformed downloader". One of the rare few that can exceed the anti-fansub crusader in obnoxiousness.

More obnoxious than these three quotes are? I'm hard-pressed to believe that's true. In re-reading what Matt submitted it's difficult to perceive what he said that warranted such responses.

Like Matt, I'm a 'reformed downloader, and I don't get especially obnoxious about it unless I'm dealing with people who call me stupid for paying for anime when it is readily available for free. I don't really care what anyone else does, because I made a personal choice for myself for personal reasons (which did not include getting a cookie).

But I must say that I'm a bit curious about kira uzumaki's statement "i know i spend more on anime then that guy does a year." How is this known? I'm hitting about $3500/year on anime, and I know for a fact that there are a lot of people who spend a lot more on anime than me, but I have no idea what Matt is spending.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:

My point is that people in Japan have the option of watching anime on tv and not have to buy any dvds to support the show while most of the shows released in the US don't air on tv or legal streaming websites and depend primarily on dvd sales to have any success. And unless you're only watching anime aired on 4Kids tv or Kids WB Saturday mornings, there's still that cable/satellite tv bill to worry about, so the only free anime here is fansubs.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Greg Ayres for swaying one of the dark ones to light, and congratulations to Matt. I find the fansub issue interesting, because I was at a language conference yesterday when there were some people talking about downloading and fansubs in general. I had to give my point on it, and the conversation didn't seem to last long after I talked. Whether or not fansub translations are better or not than professional translation, I agree with Key you still have to have basic understanding of English grammar. If not there's no point to it. Lastly with harem anime it's just something we've seen for the past couple of decades or so, and it's worked. And it will continue to work for probably another ten years, as long as there are otaku out there who can't get laid.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki

-What did he say to receive such reponses? All he sounds like is a little suck up. You know the kid in class who says exactly as the teacher wants to hear for prasie and a gold star? It's annoying, and his little story of trimuphing over evil!! is only another post pandering to the anti-fansubers in the community. Maybe if there was a post with a person who says the exact oppiste nicely, instead of the rabid reponses Zac seems to enjoy posting on a weekly basis, It wouldn't have pissed me off so much.

Matt's post to me comes off a nothing more than: I've seen the light and now i'm born anew! Can I get an amen?
Blind masses: Amen!

It was so moving!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15