• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bunny Drop/Usagi Drop Spinoff Manga to End in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
I certainly hope everyone you talked to appreciated your warning and shares your views. I however I get more offended by spoilers like yourself than whatever vision a writer has for their work.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Spotlesseden wrote:
Usagi Drop anime is very good. The manga is horrible and wrong. This is just my opinion.

I have not read the Manga, but find the ending to be extremely distasteful.

Almost there....... just can't get away from the cliche ending, like a Hollywood studio and happy ending. Laughing

I just read the ending and don't get what the commotion is about. Well I do get it but jeez it's like not a big deal.

I just don't like that it had to resort to a cliche ending. As I mentioned, just like a nice Hollywood film that's just almost there...... but then had to resort to that happy ending. Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
The ending wasn't cliche though and doesn't fall into the category of any Happily Ever After ending I've ever read or seen. Are we talking about the same manga?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The ending wasn't cliche though and doesn't fall into the category of any Happily Ever After ending I've ever read or seen. Are we talking about the same manga?

I'm not equating it to Happily Ever After; I'm equating it to how Hollywood ends its movies with cliche. And it is cliche in Japan by now: the much younger girl falls for the guy. Heck, look at Japanese celebrities, sis-con or harem shows, and somebody already mentioned Tale of Genji, the very first novel.
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Spotlesseden wrote:
Usagi Drop anime is very good. The manga is horrible and wrong. This is just my opinion.

I have not read the Manga, but find the ending to be extremely distasteful.

Almost there....... just can't get away from the cliche ending, like a Hollywood studio and happy ending. Laughing

I just read the ending and don't get what the commotion is about. Well I do get it but jeez it's like not a big deal.

I agree with you. It's not like this came out of left field. It was hinted earlier in the manga.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

I'm not equating it to Happily Ever After; I'm equating it to how Hollywood ends its movies with cliche. And it is cliche in Japan by now: the much younger girl falls for the guy. Heck, look at Japanese celebrities, sis-con or harem shows, and somebody already mentioned Tale of Genji, the very first novel.

If a younger girl falling for a guy qualifies as cliche nowadays people are far too cynical for their own good.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm going to have to be the controversial one here, and state that the ending of Bunny Drop didn't bother me.

Now, I ONLY read the last chapter, so maybe there is something else that goes on? Maybe there is some horrible abuse/brainwashing plot that happens? Something like that?

I just didn't see the problem with the plot.

(That's not to say I don't understand why others would; I can even guess the arguments about it. Doesn't change my personal reaction, though)
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

I'm not equating it to Happily Ever After; I'm equating it to how Hollywood ends its movies with cliche. And it is cliche in Japan by now

Is it cilche if it's a cliche from a different genre. How many semi-grounded slice-of-life shows end with spoiler[daughters marrying their fathers?] Maybe for hentai and borderline hentai that's the norm and cliche, but for Usagi Drop's genre it's pretty out there.

Like, for sci-fi it's cliche for something to end in an all out space battle for the fate of the galaxy... but if a Law & Order episode ended with that, could you really say the episode was cliche?
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
sigh...some people are just far far too easily squicked these days....

If I did have any complaints about the series, it's that the anime ended too early and didn't go up till the end of the manga, and....they didn't build up to the ending enough.

Quote:
I just don't like that it had to resort to a cliche ending. As I mentioned, just like a nice Hollywood film that's just almost there...... but then had to resort to that happy ending.

Wait....maybe you're joking, but being more like Hollywood is practically the Holy Grail of cliche-dom. Once you make your series look like something outta Hollywood, you mastered the art of cliche already. Especially when you use happy endings.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I certainly hope everyone you talked to appreciated your warning and shares your views. I however I get more offended by spoilers like yourself than whatever vision a writer has for their work.

I did not say not to read the manga to them because of the ending or reveal any details of the ending. I said not to read the manga because it is different from the anime. I especially told my professor to not let their 10 year old daughter read the manga due to it being very different.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
So just saying it's different was the end of your warning? You must have the people you know eating out of your hand cause nobody I know would let being 'different from the manga' be enough of a reason to not read it, especially if the anime only covers half of the manga.. Well it's a josei manga sooooo not letting a 10y/o read it is a pretty good call.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
So just saying it's different was the end of your warning? You must have the people you know eating out of your hand cause nobody I know would let being 'different from the manga' be enough of a reason to not read it, especially if the anime only covers half of the manga.. Well it's a josei manga sooooo not letting a 10y/o read it is a pretty good call.

she has more comprehension, understanding, and would understand the material probably a lot more then some trolls who read it, from what I have seen of the anime so far and the manga the only reason why she should not read it is because of the ending. she reads the spice and wolf novels and has excellent understanding of them, age is really just a number, it is FAR more important to understand who you are recommending it to. for example a lot of my professors who I am recommending it to, this is there first anime tv series, and some of them don't even have the experience of miyazaki movies. so if they really like it, I am going to make sure that their first manga IS NOT ONE THAT JUMPS THE SHARK in a way they might FIND DISGUSTING. and yes they do trust my opinion on this and I am not going to jeopardize that, you think it is a good idea to just tell someone this series is really good but the ending is disgusting and extremely creepy. because that is what they might think upon finding out the ending to the manga EVEN ZAC THOUGHT IT WAS CREEPY AND SICK, AND HE IS USED TO ANIME GIMMICKS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THAT.

I would like to restate, I have loved the bunny drop anime so far and want to see the live action. and that the series has a lot of great material.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I take anyone on this forum being creeped out, bothered and vocal about some content in anime as par for the course. Zac being creeped out by the ending of the manga doesn't really stand out against his M.O anyway.

You do a lot of talking for your puppets. I hope you raise them well. I on the other hand am going to keep looking for stuff like Usagi Drop; beginning, middle, and end. I've heard good things about Mōryō no Hako, Honey & Clover, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I take anyone on this forum being creeped out, bothered and vocal about some content in anime as par for the course. Zac being creeped out by the ending of the manga doesn't really stand out against his M.O anyway.

You do a lot of talking for your puppets. I hope you raise them well. I on the other hand am going to keep looking for stuff like Usagi Drop; beginning, middle, and end. I've heard good things about Mōryō no Hako, Honey & Clover, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

I like all three of those and own two of them. and I show the later two to my parents and many others, and you know what most people don't have enough time for an anime series, so YES I am going to make sure they watch good stuff and keep coming back to anime.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Reviews titled things like "クソ最悪な結末" (kuso saiaku na ketsumatsu - Worst ending ever) and "最終巻だけ読まなければ良かった" (saishuu maki dake yomanakereba yokatta - If only I hadn't read the last volume it would have been good.) obviously mean that even some Japanese are bigoted against their own culture.
This is good.
I don't think the ending is a depiction of any absolute immorality, but I can easily see why it would be a bit gross. At least it stayed outside of the realm of perversion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3