• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Film Project to Be Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
And then Madoka spoiler[was reincarnated] as the plot of the 3rd film. Calling it.

This looks interesting enough where I'd probably watch the movies, but I'm not gonna flip out if they don't work well with the show. Hopefully they'll be fun to watch, spoiler[and maybe the movie with an original plot will have a happier ending, just to mess with everyone. Anime hyper
]
Iris Rose Lily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
I think this is gonna be good "kyubey's counterattack" very interesting.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
There is ONE and ONLY one way I will be content with these compilation movies...

...And that is if they're done from scratch. Aniplex, I already watched the god damn show, I don't need to watch it AGAIN. The show is fresh enough in my mind that if I see the exact same scene merely touched up, I'm gonna be bored.

Now, I can see the justification for this IMHO, there's a 'good' bit of stuff from the original series that if done right, can be trimmed away for a neater, better paced and more engrossing story AND, most important, have each movie end on giant cliffhangers.

Last but not least, I'm REALLY hoping that the movie sets things up the way we were led to believe, that is that the movie lays out a spoiler['post madoka wish' universe]. Without spoiling anything (other than that spoiler[Madoka does eventually make her wish]) it does greatly alter the outcome of the story and left it open for a lot of stuff. If handled right, The Puella Magi series could become its own franchise and have a number of spin offs before it hits a point of exhaustion and needs one final series to wrap it all up neatly.

There's a lot of untapped potential for the series what with the metaphysics and philosophy it dabbles in and the creative team behind the show would be idiots to waste that potential... If you ask me of course.

machetecat wrote:
And then Madoka spoiler[was reincarnated] as the plot of the 3rd film. Calling it.

This looks interesting enough where I'd probably watch the movies, but I'm not gonna flip out if they don't work well with the show. Hopefully they'll be fun to watch, spoiler[and maybe the movie with an original plot will have a happier ending, just to mess with everyone. Anime hyper
]

I really hope this doesn't happen and I'll be honest, if it does I think I'll just drop the series entirely. I'm not saying that there should never be a solution discovered to the overall problem, spoiler[AKA the entropy of the universe and whatnot], but there sure as shit should NOT be a 'quick fix' ending that just makes everything bad go away out of the simple reason of making a happy ending... That's just in bad taste.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
If they have an adequate budget and the love for the series, then it could be very good. I am willing to give it a chance.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
As overrated as I think Madoka is, these movies will be a good chance to fix some of the problems the TV series had.

Quote:
According to Shinbo, the subtitle of the new film is still undecided, but he really wanted to call it "Incubator no Gyakushū" ("Incubator Strikes Back" or "Incubator's Counterattack").

Lol Gundam reference Laughing Never change, Shinbo.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Shinbo, the subtitle of the new film is still undecided, but he really wanted to call it "Incubator no Gyakushū" ("Incubator Strikes Back" or "Incubator's Counterattack").

No, no, no, Shinbo, you're doing it wrong. The names of the movies in order should be "Madoka Magica: A New Hope /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\", "Madoka Magica: Entropy Strikes Back", and "Madoka Magica: Return of the Mahou Shoujo". Or, if you're feeling more cynical, "Madoka Magica: The Incubator Menace", "Madoka Magica: Attack of the Clones" Laughing, and "Madoka Magica: Revenge of the Witch". Either way, do not go out of order! Mad

If the movies are filled with more spoiler[rewinds from episode 10], then I'll be pleased.

EDIT: "Entropy" Laughing

Last edited by Crisha on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
3rdHalf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
Djisas wrote:
I think he did not mean EOE, but EVA 1.11 and 2.22 and so far, have you even watched these masterpieces??

I think it is quite wrong to draw parallels between Madoka Magica Films and Evangelion Films - at least not yet.
I doubt that they will totally reanimate first two compilation movies. Instead they will, probably make two recap movies like Eva: Death & Rebirth.

P.S
I loved the End of Evangelion. It was a fair and reasonable f#ck you, from Anno - to all douchebag Eva fanboys.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Madoka movies... hm. So it wasn't fake after all, then? Well, I'll watch them because they're Madoka, but I'm pretty skeptical about this news (though I gotta admit I love the name idea, even if it brings up its own share of questions, heh).

Compilations, I dunno... is that necessary? The show's short to begin with... I guess cut out a few landscape pans here and you could trim an hour off to get it down to two 90 minute movies? Madoka is a pretty deliberate and dense series in the sense that there is very little superfluous dialog and its pacing really is pretty solid when you look at the series as three short arcs (1-3, 4-8, 9-12), so if you start trimming stuff to fit a movie timeframe, I'd think there's a good chance you'd have to start cutting out stuff that is significant to the story, leaving you with a movie that fans will either get bored or rage at and newcomers will be missing out on important details, or might be a pacing mess on its own.

The show's pacing wasn't perfect (starts pretty slow, even though that's very deliberate and I think changing that aspect too much would destroy a key part of what makes Madoka Madoka... I don't think Kyouko had enough presence relative to what the plot wanted to do with her, and I don't just say that as a Kyouko fan... and the ending, though I've come to appreciate it, still feels a little off in places), but it wasn't bad.

I mean, Gurren Lagann and Eva as a couple examples of some shows with compilation movies that I've seen... TTGL's was alright, but I'd never watch it again. Eva1.1 had terrible pacing. Eva2.2 I did like, but I really only liked it because I didn't like NGE, so I was happy with the things 2.2 did differently, which is not the case for Madoka. I'm pretty much with Kyogissun here; if they're just edited footage from the show, that's gonna be pretty uninteresting because I can already watch the show at whatever pace I want (skip to the fights if that's what I'm in the mood for, and so on).

I am curious, though, Kyogissun, what "good bit" of stuff you think could be safely trimmed--I'm not being facetious, honestly curious. I think one of the things that made the show work as well as it did was that feeling of creeping dread punctuated by whams/battles/etc., but I'm not saying the story couldn't be good in trimmed down format (after all, I enjoy a couple Madoka AMVs that basically condense the whole show down into 5~ minutes).

As for this third movie... I think there is definitely some potential for continuing the story past where the series leaves off or in places where it hurries past, but only if the ending of the series is left untouched. As in, spoiler[Madoka and Sayaka gone for good, story focuses on the aftermath of Madoka's wish from the perspective of the three remaining girls.]

There's also some room for further exploration of the ground episode 10 covers, because as effective and powerful of an episode as it was, it moved quickly (to good effect), and it would be cool to see more of Madoka and Homrua's relationship as developed there... also, this would have the added bonuses of not even having a chance to mess with the ending of the series and spoiler[ultimately being deliciously depressing in light of how the series does end.]

Anyway, at the end of the day, even if the movies suck, it's not worth getting too bent out of shape about because it's not like continuations or spinoffs that I end up disliking will erode my appreciation for the series....... at least until SHAFT starts taking queues from George Lucas (Madoka forbid), right? I'm setting my expectations really low for these movies in hopes that I'll be pleasantly surprised. One soul crush is enough for me, thanks willag. Wink

Djisas wrote:
I think he did not mean EOE, but EVA 1.11 and 2.22 and so far, have you even watched these masterpieces??
Masterpieces? lol
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
I'm actually mostly looking forward to the 3rd movie. I've never been a fan of compilations.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
....... at least until SHAFT starts taking queues from George Lucas (Madoka forbid), right?

Han-mura shot first! Kyubeedo shot first! Laughing

Aw, hell, I want a shirt of that now.

Veers wrote:
I'm setting my expectations really low for these movies in hopes that I'll be pleasantly surprised. One soul crush is enough for me, thanks willag. Wink

I aim to please. Wink

Otherwise, I quite agree with a lot of what you said. I shall stay hesitant and skeptical, yet I hope they really expand upon their potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Considering Madoka was a 1cour show, 3 movies would basically be the same running length as the TV series.

I assume they are going to expand on certain things and gloss over others to fill out the entire cast better in the movies.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Han-mura shot first! Kyubeedo shot first! Laughing

Aw, hell, I want a shirt of that now.
The 4chan threads about this news are hilarious.

Edit: A recent one, http://boards.4chan.org/a/res/56949090 for as long as it's alive, anyway.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually more intrigued about what the content of the compilation films will be than the new content of the third film. The show is so well compiled and planned out, it makes me wonder how they will be able to translate it into a tighter window of time. But all things considered, the storyline is straightforward and simple enough to condense to its key points and make for a viable, non-rushed set of films--that is, if they are reanimating a good chunk of it or creating newly-animated scenes to bridge the new chain of events (made from the TV footage) together (I imagine certain things would need to be reshuffled slightly to work…). Otherwise, it will look like a cheap, quickly constructed mess serving only to set-up the new-material 3rd film.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
A compilation movie is not something I find exciting but I am curious of what they could do with a third film... O.o
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
at least until SHAFT starts taking queues from George Lucas (Madoka forbid), right?

You mean, people camping outside the cinema weeks before it opens?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3