• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Blood Bath

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
they do give you Near but from all accounts he's a poor man's L.

I can't disagree more. Near is his own character, and while he doesn't endear himself to the reader/viewer at first, you'd be surprised at how many people are huge Near fans. Including myself. Hell, I'm looking forward to the special edition DVD that has a Near figure with it. It would be fitting, considering his fixation on toys.

As for Blood+, I've been watching it on Adult Swim, but it hasn't impressed me at all. It would have better suited as a 26 episode series, because that's about all the story it has. It's stretched out far too long and is impressively boring for a majority of time. The hesitation of Saya to battle the chiropterons starts to get really annoying, too, especially since you know she has all those amazing fighting skills to do so with. Such wasted potential. And the dub is basically Crispin Freeman as every other character. He's a talented voice actor, but it seems like the studio had no budget, or they might have hired some other voice actors to do those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The hesitation of Saya to battle the chiropterons starts to get really annoying, too, especially since you know she has all those amazing fighting skills to do so with. Such wasted potential.

I agree that watching her stare scared and wide-eyed at every monster gets a little annoying, but for the most part, I understand why it had to be that way. Characters like her and Shinji make sense to me, because it's completely reasonable that they wouldn't want to fight, and that they're scared they're being forced into these situations. You want to see them be heroic, but they themselves aren't ready for it yet.

I find that much more believable than some of the other action heroes out there, who climb into a mecha or gain a superpower and suddenly become the hero that saves the universe.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Very good column, BD. Those shelves remind me of how much more shelf space I actually need to fully put my collection on display.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

I find Death Note to be a bit of a difficult series to gauge. The series really gets a whole ton of praise but everytime I read up on it I just can't really find anything that really seems all that appealing. I don't want to commit to a series if it's going to be another Eva or Haruhi; a series that is hugely popular that I found disappointing (Eva far more than Haruhi).

Well my opinion of Death Note is a lot more negative than the norm. I think it is an okay series but not as amazing as people give it credit for.

I think my problem with the series is it brought up interesting moral questions in the early part of the series and then completely left them for a cat and mouse game where the characters are geniuses because the show says so not because we are really shown. Also the second half of the series goes further down hill after a certain event which I will not mention. The ending isn't bad but I think it could have ended way sooner than it did.

That being said I think the anime is a good adaptation of the manga.

As for Mushishi I actually find that it has a high rewatch value. Some people might find it boring but for me its more on the relaxing side. I find all the stories really interesting. And it's not just because of the mushi, but also the human characters that we meet in each story. Their struggles and joy really resonated with me. I also love Ginko.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
rinmackie: my only question to anyone who prefers dubs (and we can settle this via pm rather than turning the channel into a discussion) is why??? And I ask this out of true curiosity because I really can't think of any reason (save for shows for little kids who can't read yet).

Not to draw this any further off-topic than it needs to be, but maybe because some of us prefer watching our anime without distracting, ugly pre-rendered text sprawled across the bottom of the screen? Or because some of us would like to have the luxury of performing other tasks (even as simple as grabbing a snack from across the room) at the same time as watching our anime? Or because some of us find that we're drawn into a story to a much greater extent by hearing its audio component in our own native language? I'm not belittling those who prefer subtitled anime in any way, but to say that you can't think of any reason that someone would prefer dubbed anime seems a bit short-sighted to me. Razz
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I noticed that Richard J. liked it, and that's fine. He must have the patience of a saint. But why do people watch a show that gets them so riled up? My blood pressure is already high enough, and I do not need to have it raised further, thankyou. And shouting at the television, why waste your voice? Why waste your money?
Well, at least in my case, the show didn't piss me off but I can understand that reaction. The characters are at times unlikable. (Suzuka herself seems to be running for Bitch of the Year at times.)

Still, I've ended up liking the series. Maybe it's just that I find dysfunctional characters interesting on occasion or it could be that I just REALLY like Leah Clark's acting. (It could be a combination of the two.) Either way, I haven't gotten angry at the show so far.

I am kind of perplexed by people who keep watching when they claim to hate something though. If I don't like what I'm watching, I stop. End of story.

About Blood+ and dubtitles: personally I'm not really affected but it strikes me as a stupid thing to do, especially given Sony's less-than-stellar track record with anime. Since I prefer dubs it's not really an issue but the lack of the choice to check for changes and such bothers me a little. (It won't stop me from buying it eventually though.)

Once more, why can't sub-title people just accept that some of us prefer dubs and leave it at that? Just accept it and move on with your lives folks. Stop trying to convince us to change, stop trying to analyze us, just let it go. It's just a preference, no different than preferring mecha anime over harem anime or a particular sports team over another.

Or pink hair over other hair colors on anime girls. It's just a personal choice thing.

So long as the opportunity for the choice exists, and we actually put some money into the system benefiting both domestic companies and the Japanese, then who cares how we watch the show or which cast we prefer or even what kind of anime we're enjoying.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just such an utterly pointless debate since it's completely subjective in nature.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The hesitation of Saya to battle the chiropterons starts to get really annoying, too, especially since you know she has all those amazing fighting skills to do so with. Such wasted potential.

I agree that watching her stare scared and wide-eyed at every monster gets a little annoying, but for the most part, I understand why it had to be that way. Characters like her and Shinji make sense to me, because it's completely reasonable that they wouldn't want to fight, and that they're scared they're being forced into these situations. You want to see them be heroic, but they themselves aren't ready for it yet.

I find that much more believable than some of the other action heroes out there, who climb into a mecha or gain a superpower and suddenly become the hero that saves the universe.

Shinji's hesitation didn't last nearly fifty episodes.

Blood+ is far too long to put up with that sort of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
indrik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little worried about Blood+. I bought the first half and really like it so far, but I keep hearing about how bad the second half is. That would be disappointing. I think that the $120 MSRP is really pretty cheap compared to most 26 episode releases, figuring 6x$30=$180 for most, and then if you got it on sale for $80, you're at about 40% of MSRP for most series. I'm mildly disappointed in the release itself: the dubtitles are kind of noticeable and moderately annoying because of that, and the extras are thin. Although I'm neglecting the T-shirt, which completely surprised me even though there was a big "t-shirt inside!" sticker on the box. I guess I shouldn't complain, since it's cheap, and it's a good show so far, and that seems to be about par for Sony.

Death Note really annoys me, but my son watches it, so I suffer through it for some bonding time. That's one of a very few reasons I keep watching things I don't like.
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I would probably buy Mushishi Vol. 6, but I rather by the rest of the series, even if the show is episodic or whatever.

Suzuka I'm not going to buy considering the fact I don't own any of the previous volumes. Though I hear the show is going to be on the Funimation Channel so I probably just watch it there instead of buying the show.

Death Note I'm not buying, even though the show is awesome, I watch every new episode on Adult Swim. I might buy the show when it comes out on season 1.

As for Blood+, I'm not going to buy it. I seen only one episode and I'm not willing to put out a ton of money on a show I might not in the long run. I'll probably buy like the regular one that was release, doesn't that one have 5 episodes on it?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to those of you who defended my choice of dubs. As to the person who wanted to pm me to debate the dub vs. sub thing, no thanks. I know where that train goes. I'll just say it's my personal preference and in this age of bilingual dvds, I don't know why we're still arguing about it. Also, someone mentioned something about a Blood + character dying for no reason; if it's the one I'm thinking of, it becomes important later on. But you would know if you watched the rest of the series. In my opinion the mid and later half of Blood + is the best.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Every anime fan I know will probably slap me when I say this but I have never watched or read Death Note. But since I keep hearing about it I think I should check it out (even if that means setting up my DVD recorder to catch the episodes on Adult Swim).
Blood+ and Mushishi also sound interesting, I'll keep an eye out for those two as well.
jen36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I think Mushi-shi is great. The first time I watched it was on a very painfully hung-over morning, and it felt so soothing and peaceful; gentle on my dry eyes. I watched another disc later in the week with full brain capacity and still loved it. I can understand how the pacing may be slow to some, but for me it is more fulfilling to spend the time on Mushi-shi than on something like Suzuka where the same irritating crap is drawn out for twenty-six episodes (to be fair I have only seen the first disc, but found it was enough). Once in a while it is nice to watch an anime in which someone isn't screaming every two seconds. Or maybe I have been watching too many corny high school fight shows lately:)

To me, Mushi-shi has more rewatchability than something like Death Note. I started watching Death Note right after I finished the manga, and after a few episodes gave up. I just felt like I knew what was going to happen and without the suspense of the unknown got bored.
inquis122

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
WOOT! I'm Rooney, and those shelves are mine. I never really thought that they would put those pictures up, thats awesome. Thanks for the compliments too everybody. For the person who commented on the cats destroying the figures, I haven't had any problems(just make sure they have lots of other, non-anime toys Smile), but I also make sure to have them all in slightly enclosed enviornments. Ha, this is awesome. And Blood+ rocks, but yeah, with so much stuff coming out, I am way too poor for it. Thanks again ANN!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Pity that Suzuka 6 got perishable by association, but I can understand not giving rentable to a final volume. More disappointed that with the extended delay in publishing the V6 review that I couldn't even start watching it yet.

*happily marks another notch in the alphabatizer column and notes the down then across order*

rinmackie wrote:
Also, someone mentioned something about a Blood + character dying for no reason; if it's the one I'm thinking of, it becomes important later on. But you would know if you watched the rest of the series.

I suspect they are refering to the one toward the end who died with the person who actually had a reason ... and that one really bugged the hell out of me too.

Full_Metal1923 wrote:
Regarding the final comments. Is Blood: The Last Vampire a requirement of sorts in order to understand the content of Blood+? I'm thinking of picking up this Box Set so I'd like to know.

No, and probably better off not seeing it first. The movie takes place in the past, and are among the first season flashbacks (not direct footage, but "this is the same events" scenes.) Not having seen the movie just means you cannot compare how the scenes are done are complain that the two cannons are not well intertwined (in fact, fairly badly if you saw the movie first.)

I was really looking forward to grabbing the box, but even with my dub-preference, captioning/dubtitling as subtitles is a major strike. May need to reconsider, lower my acceptable price, or use this as the straw to wait for a BD release (it's Sony, you know there has to be one) and hope they fix it by then.

dtm42 wrote:
About Suzuka:

I can understand why Bamboo had to sit through 24 episodes of trash Anime.

But why does anyone else? I noticed that Richard J. liked it, and that's fine. He must have the patience of a saint. But why do people watch a show that gets them so riled up? My blood pressure is already high enough, and I do not need to have it raised further, thankyou. And shouting at the television, why waste your voice? Why waste your money?

I ask this, as I have read several posts recently that have complained about how bad Suzuka was for them. And yet, they continued to watch it.

I think that some Anime fans go too far out of their way to accommodate lacklustre series. It is okay to hate a series. You do not have to watch it.

Compulsive completist ... I started it, so I'm gonna end it. Granted there have been a few titles I so despised and/or it was quickly apparent that there would be nothing redeeming, that there was no attempt to watch further (including two shows on the "One and Done" list.) Most end up like Get Backers. Really didn't care for or like it, but didn't make up my mind until 8-10 episodes in, and figured I might as well watch it out. Possibly would have made a different decision had I bothered to check how long it was, but there were still enough good moments that I grabbed the two thinpaks heavily discounted.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I am kind of perplexed by people who keep watching when they claim to hate something though. If I don't like what I'm watching, I stop. End of story.

And that's exactly why I stopped watching Suzuka after the 14th episode, although I plan on renting the rest of the series later on just to see how it ends. To be honest, I though the first few episodes were pretty decent; decent enough for me to go ahead and buy Vol. #2 and Vol. #3. But as someone who puts heavy emphasis on character relations and connections (and doesn't care about language), I just couldn't stand watching those characters anymore, especially the main character Suzuka. It did seem like the story was heading somewhere when I was watching the episodes in Vol. #3. But Suzuka's constant bitchy attitude and the way she reacted to Yamato after he scoffed at her (finally) was the last straw.

And personally while I respect Leah Clark as both an actress and a scriptwriter, it didn't really mattered how good she was in Suzuka (and she was pretty good in portraying her IMO). Not even her performance was good enough for me to continue on with this series.

Watching Suzuka is a lot like eating tofu - it's bland and tasteless. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5