• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Hospitalized After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
this is why kids need parental supervision when watching TV or playing...

young kids, like 3-8, often times dosn't know that fantasy doesn't work same as reality...

i remember when i was younger i played pretend with kids but i didn't do something this extreme by burying myself in sand...

yes that kid something stupid but pointing at TV is not the solution...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
DeathNote20XX wrote:
We also don't know that much about this kid in the first place. Sure, he's imitating a fictional character but maybe he's not mentally capable of clearly distinguishing reality from fiction.

That's a very valid point. Most of these cases are most probably due to the people involved having mental issues. I mean if 1 in 4 people in the world have mental problems it's bound to happen.

Governments need to invest more in mental health, and something I was reading/listening to recently was about how if we're going to live in a world with horror films, and other fictional stories, then we need to account for the fact that some people can't deal with that and thus this kind of thing will happen.
dude7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
As the old saying goes....

"Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. "
Geno6662000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
At age 9, I was just beginning to understand that electricity + metal scisssors = Oww....

I understand simple-mindedness. I feel bad for the kid, because he's never going to watch Naruto ever again, at least when his parents are around...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
If that poor kid had only watched the fansubs instead. He would have been warned not to do that in the translator's notes.
(I jest)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
My question here, as in all such cases, is where were the adults? I mean these are little kids and you're letting them loose in the back yard with no supervision? Why wasn't someone keeping an eye on them?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Step back a bit... okay? Okay. This kid was TEN. By the time you're ten, you SHOULD be smart enough to distinguish reality from fiction and know you aren't f*cking Gaara!

Quoted for truth. Yes, ten is young, but do you guys remember what you were like when you were 10? When I was 10 my friends and I pretended to be Digimon and DBZ characters all the time... but we knew that if one of us actually shoved another off a jungle gym or something that it was going to hurt, and certainly knew that if we friggin buried someone head first in the ground they would sufficate! We were perfectly content with running around shouting "pepper breath!" Very Happy

Bottom line is all these kids are just stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
KamenRiderFaiz555 wrote:
So... WHY do we save kids who do this kinda stuff?

Because the parents dont watch anime with them and tell the kids "dont do that".

Do they have these problems in Japan, or is common sense hereditary?
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I was not surprised when I saw this. I knew that things like this would eventually happen, especially with young kids. Thank God that the kid was alright. The lesson for today is to teach kids about fantasy and reality. I know this method works because me and my brothers taught this lesson to our 6 year old baby brother about Halo and South Park (yes, I have a 6 year old playing Halo and CoD4 and watches South Park). My baby brother does not even act up, shows what parenting methods know.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
And I quote from
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_030908WAB_boy_buried_SW.3ab9f4f9.html :

"There is a sandbox in the back yard, and Quantrille says his children told him Cody came up with the idea that they should bury him, head first, in the sand."

Well, there you have it, that's why the kid almost died. Hopefully he was not oxygen-deprived long enough to cause permanent damage.

I'm sorry, but 10 year olds should know you have to be able to breathe to live.

And since this is in the backyard of someone's home, adults should have been at least looking out on the kids a few times.. often enough to see them buring Cody's head! Shocked
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
If you think this story itself is ridiculous just reading it here on ANN, try clicking the link to watch the local news coverage of it. Sheesh!

They show clips from YouTube of kids burying their Naruto action figures in sand! And they talk about what a nice and "safe" neighborhood it happened in. because stupid, inattentive parents that don't pay attention to the kind of shows their kids are watching or teach them the difference between reality and fiction and that burying your face in sand is a BAD idea only exist in the ghetto or something? WTF?!
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
hahaha... Smile

Calm down, people. This is what happens when you're a kid. You think you know kung-fu, try to break down a brick wall with your fist like Bruce Lee or something, and learn that punching something a) doesn't really make it fall down, and b) hurts your hand. Trust me, none of these kids will try this shit again, and the kids who miss him at school because he's in the hospital won't forget it either. Parents always make like it's the end of the world, but in my experience actual deaths are rare- more commonly it's a non-debilitating injury, like a broken arm, lost tooth or scar on your leg, which winds up as a story to give you character when you grow up.

Honestly, I have to wonder why we're even hearing about this on ANN. In fact, in the spirit of... Hang on, this deserves it's own thread...

Last edited by BellosTheMighty on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Kids were falling off of places left and right when Power Rangers were all in the rage. I'm sure my parents could say the same of their peers when they were playing cowboys & Indians.

Kids do the darndest things. There's nothing new here.
Basically, it boils down to "sh*t happens". Some people just have to learn the hard way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is officially the new Pokemon. Thank goodness there's not a big market for trading cards, to bring up child kidnapping cases too.

Kids will be kids... >_>; and possibly die for it too.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
When I first read the headline I thought for just a moment the kid was reenacting the attack on the leaf by playing with snakes. Like he made a few sand buildings and tossed his brother's pet snake in the sand box.

What happened is obviously more idiotic. This never happened when I imitated Star Wars and Back to the Future Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8