• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Hospitalized After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Naruto is officially the new Pokemon. Thank goodness there's not a big market for trading cards, to bring up child kidnapping cases too.

Kids will be kids... >_>; and possibly die for it too.

Pokemon is still up, maybe almost as much as Naruto in America. I remember some kids doing something stupid when Pokemon was still reigning.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I saw this yesterday and my first though was "Where were the adults?" Unless those kids filled a wheelbarrow and dumped it on the 10-year-old, it took a while for them to do that.

So, why didn't some adult look out a window or even set foot outdoors to see what the kids are up too.

And, yes, 10 is old enough to know that you shouldn't do stuff like that.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
The one thing I've always noticed is how all of these accidents where a kid is stupid enough to try something he saw on TV always happen on USA Rolling Eyes

Yeah, we Americans are all real stupid. Thank you.

The video made me laugh though. They treated this accident like a violent crime. "It could never happen in a neighborhood like this!"
And the youtube thing: "They're covering the action figures with SAND."

That said, I'm glad the kid's alive. Maybe he and his friends will be able to distinguish reality from fantasy in the future.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
wilson_x1999 wrote:
The one thing I've always noticed is how all of these accidents where a kid is stupid enough to try something he saw on TV always happen on USA Rolling Eyes

Yeah, we Americans are all real stupid. Thank you.

The video made me laugh though. They treated this accident like a violent crime. "It could never happen in a neighborhood like this!"
And the youtube thing: "They're covering the action figures with SAND."

That said, I'm glad the kid's alive. Maybe he and his friends will be able to distinguish reality from fantasy in the future.

That was the day that these kids lost their innocences. You agree?
braves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if CN were to begin airing disclaimers soon. Rolling Eyes

daikon6 wrote:
Yet another reason why Naruto sucks.

So Naruto sucks because there's dumb people in its fandom? Then I guess every series sucks.>.>

Roy9076 wrote:
"The adults summoned medical help and adminstered CPR to get Porter breathing again. "

Wut? So were the adults playing "Naruto" as well?

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
It does seem funny and idiotic but it proves kids need to be supervised more when watching these type of shows. Naruto may be edited on Toonami because of it's severe action violence but at least it ain't 4Kids doing it. What aggravated was the reporter saying "NUH-ROO-TOH" not "NAR-OOH-TOH". Reporter telling this story should at least pronounce the name right.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
AznJazz wrote:

Well, sort of. There's still lots of other things to find out aren't like they are in movies.

About a CN disclaimer on Naruto: There actually was one before a recent episode, where a character spoiler[pulls their heart from their chest] (I hope no one attempts that)

I forget what the disclaimer said exactly, but it boiled down to 'parental discretion is advised'.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
AznJazz wrote:

Well, sort of. There's still lots of other things to find out aren't like they are in movies.

About a CN disclaimer on Naruto: There actually was one before a recent episode, where a character spoiler[pulls their heart from their chest] (I hope no one attempts that)

I forget what the disclaimer said exactly, but it boiled down to 'parental discretion is advised'.

I wonder how CN is going to put out Naruto Shippudden. Toonami or Adult Swim. Either way some kid, like the middle schooler who had a "Death Note", is going to watch it and do something similar. Whatever, these things will keep happening, too bad for those kid's parents. Anyway, what is this 1 kid out of millions in America, how ground breaking is that; this should not be blown out of proportion. I pray to God that the next generation of Anime watchers would not be a bunch of punk kid, oh wait they already are.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
BennyMono wrote:
Well this is awful news, I hope the goverment does the right thing and bans all future episodes of Naruto until the boy is given the all clear. I think Anime should be taken a close look at in America it's far to violent and dangerous for young kids to watch. Maybe they should put a stop to all anime on TV until it is looked at more closely to decide if it's suitable to be watched. Hope the kid gets better.

Well, they've already gotten into the filler arc on tv, so I'll agree with you there. Otherwise, the only awful thing about this is that the kid's still alive to do something else stupid. Seriously, you have to be a real dimwit to try this crap in real life. My nephews are eight, all three of'em, and they're dumber than a bag of bricks, but they never imitate the stuff on tv. And the former mother has shown them the movie Boogeyman! That film sucked.

"Quick, Ned, thin out their numbers!"
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
BennyMono wrote:
Well this is awful news, I hope the goverment does the right thing and bans all future episodes of Naruto until the boy is given the all clear. I think Anime should be taken a close look at in America it's far to violent and dangerous for young kids to watch. Maybe they should put a stop to all anime on TV until it is looked at more closely to decide if it's suitable to be watched. Hope the kid gets better.

Well, they've already gotten into the filler arc on tv, so I'll agree with you there. Otherwise, the only awful thing about this is that the kid's still alive to do something else stupid.

Hmmm, considering you guys are not Americans. American TV is full of violence and sex, especially FOX (irony because they are a conservative network). Most of them, even with the adult filter and V-Chip, can be seen by any kids. CSI, Terminator, and all these shows can not be filtered out so easily. In this consideration, how can Naruto, a kids show, be filtered. The only thing that most of us American can do is to watch our kids and try the best we can to teach them about the world. The government can't always step in the way because we still have our sense of responsibility. Besides, this is only one kid out of the millions over here in America, and this is not the first or last time this have happened.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
AznJazz wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
BennyMono wrote:

Well, they've already gotten into the filler arc on tv, so I'll agree with you there. Otherwise, the only awful thing about this is that the kid's still alive to do something else stupid.

Hmmm, considering you guys are not Americans. American TV is full of violence and sex, especially FOX (irony because they are a conservative network). Most of them, even with the adult filter and V-Chip, can be seen by any kids. CSI, Terminator, and all these shows can not be filtered out so easily. In this consideration, how can Naruto, a kids show, be filtered. The only thing that most of us American can do is to watch our kids and try the best we can to teach them about the world. The government can't always step in the way because we still have our sense of responsibility. Besides, this is only one kid out of the millions over here in America, and this is not the first or last time this have happened.

I'm an American. I was just making a joke about the filler arcs for Naruto. I mean, they're like eighty episodes long! Is that right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
BennyMono wrote:

Man, I hope you're either just trolling or being very very sarcastic.

I have this same hope for everyone here who wishes this kid dead. I frankly think that is a horrible sentiment and shows extreme immaturity on the part of those who echo it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Morality is for the ignorant that can't tell one thing from another, that have to be baby-walked the entire way. I don't want anybody dead. I'd just like the kid to know better than that. And if it takes a broken bone to learn your lesson, so be it. No pain, no gain. I may sound heartless, but I am.

And I'm sick of Naruto myself, where every action has to be dictated before it even happens while the opponent just stands there. Hit'em! Don't stare at him all day!
King Arthur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
King Arthur wrote:
Kid should've died. It's one less moron wasting space/real estate, precious oxygen, and (limited) resources on this god forsaken planet.

All hail Darwin! Survival of the fittest (and wisest)!

>_>

Nice post. If this were the case, we'd be seeing a lot more controversy over this, and be finding ourselves in big trouble. This kid was only ten years old, and has a lot to live for. Unlike some people who like to give up on life, this was an unfortunate incident. This said I'm glad he didn't die but I'm sure he'll think twice about doing this again. Think before you post.

I have indeed thought before I posted, and the answer I've come to is what you see.
Do we honestly have the spare resources to save idiots like this? I'd rather send the food and water the idiot would be digesting to starving kids in Africa or something.

Make best use of the stuff you have, and leave weaklings to die as the law of nature declares. Human life isn't so precious as humanists make it out to be when we're the most predominant species next to insects.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this topic should be called the Ayn Rand Primer.

I'll be back to quote a little more seriously on this in an hour or so.

Last edited by prime_pm on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8