• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Hospitalized After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Time and Space wrote:
Poor child he was having fun and got a little carried away, and now his life hangs in the balance.

P.S, It's interesting, the way these kinds of stories split the community into those who mock the child and those who don't, we even have a clumsy debate about various forms of Darwinism. Some people, due to their heartlessness, seem to be acting as eugenicist, which makes me both laugh, and weep at the same time.

Yes, it is very clumsy. I am not afraid to admit it (I need my books and my notes to make the debate more organized). Your comment is the second wisest thing I have heard in the forum.
AnimeLover86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
this is starting to become ridiculous, parents need to sit down and talk to their kids and explain things to them. if parents did more with their children things like this wouldn't happen! i started watching real animes (uncut & in japanese) when i was 10 and my mom sat down right next to me and watched them with me. if we watched something that i didn't understand or was curious about she was right there for me to ask. i babysit kids that range from infants to 12 years and i've noticed that i spend more time with these kids than their parents and they REALLY think they are like power rangers and try to do back flips off their beds or that they are ninjas and can run up walls and trees (a 9 yr old i watch ended up with a concussion while home with his dad trying to do that). this is partially the kids fault, but note that all the kids thought it was ok and that he could be a ninja and pop out. this is mostly the parents fault for not being proper parents and sitting down and talking with their children.
crazychild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4eadNKKtBc

Note that the girl that made this video is 20. The news is more outrageous than most cartoons.
Randompeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
spife wrote:
This kid can't die. He is one of the future weeaboos of America.

See pic of Cody Porter:
http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/44325/2006205340898574807_rs.jpg

I actually burst into laughter when i read that.

Now being serious, i have 4 nephews between the ages of 4 and 10 and i know they all have enough common sense not to attempt what that kid did, yes kids will do stupid things, even i did stupid things when i was that age (having a few scars on my head proves this) but i had enough common sense to know that suffocation = death, i nearly factured my skull twice first when i was 2 years old and again when i was 8 years old, not from trying to imitate a cartoon i had saw but just from playing around.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I had something prepared for this, but I'm not going to bother with it anymore. The kid did something stupid, but let's just all hope he learns from it and his parents not do anything else we'd all regret. It's become pointless to talk about this now, as we've all got our own different opinions on the subject, and I'd be fine if this whole event just laid to rest. I'm not getting involved any further in this. I'm just going back to anime where it's safer.

Good media, by the way. Hilarious image.

Last edited by prime_pm on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
spife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually burst into laughter when i read that

Awesome :]
Hope that kid survives so he'll learn not be near sandboxes.
Also, where were the kid's parents?

Reason not to be near sandboxes (click link):
http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/45782/2000674426398218964_rs.jpg

Last edited by spife on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
You know what? I had something prepared for this, but I'm not going to bother with it anymore. The kid did something stupid, but let's just all hope he learns from it and his parents not do anything else we'd all regret. It's become pointless to talk about this now, as we've all got our own different opinions on the subject, and I'd be fine if this whole event just laid to rest. I'm not getting involved any further in this. I'm just going back to anime where it's safer.

Good media, by the way. Hilarious image.

Ditto. King Arthur, if you are reading this, I would like to know your response to my answer. I know nothing is solve here, due to being this is the net, but you have made my day pretty interesting, and I thank you for that. Now back to my studying.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFreak28 wrote:
LOL.... I must the only person here that finds this funny. Ya, poor kid and all, but come on, ya have to laugh at this.
That's really mean. It sucks that this kid's in critical condition. I hope he gets better. The sand ninjas ARE cool and it's a shame that this happened.
Tsunami Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
And it appears that he's died. http://www.komotv.com/news/16479676.html

I do feel sorry for the parents and their loss, just not the child.

(Maybe he was trying to emulate Gaara's sand coffin? If so, it worked!)

EDIT: I just noticed this:

spife wrote:

Reason not to be near sandboxes (click link):
http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/45782/2000674426398218964_rs.jpg

Last edited by Tsunami Jones on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
insidekillrsteph

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
crazychild wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4eadNKKtBc

Note that the girl that made this video is 20. The news is more outrageous than most cartoons.

It would be a lot more outrageous if I was actually 20. Anime hyper I made my Youtube account two years ago adn put my age as 18 so I could watch videos 'deemed inappropriate". I'm actually almost 17 now. I was 15 when I made that video.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Tsunami Jones wrote:
And it appears that he's died. http://www.komotv.com/news/16479676.html

I do feel sorry for the parents and their loss, just not the child.

(Maybe he was trying to emulate Gaara's sand coffin? If so, it worked!)

I don't know what to say here... I'm on the verge of tears because of your link, and you still admit to having no sympathy for the child. A child is dead and people are still laughing at him. Stupid or not he was a fellow human and nobody should laugh at his death.

R.I.P. Codey.
DrSlump

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Putting a disclaimer on each show or each network is kinda silly. This isn't limited to anime but anything on TV or in movies (or even in books!). Misguided people try to emulate what they see without thinking of the consequences.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Jack Thompson is going to jump on the bandwagon about this.

My personal thoughts about this matter is quite simple, really.

- I laughed for 15 seconds because of how the video report was presented.

- I laughed even harder when they revealed the youtube video as disturbing.

- I laughed at the irony of how more news has been popping up about Naruto, and I don't find this any different than other cartoons that air on television. The series is quite popular and it will have its pros and cons with the media.

- Nope, I didn't shed a single tear when the kid died. Honestly, kids have done ridiculous things, some manage to get bumps and bruises, others are not so lucky. I wouldn't necessarily call this kid stupid, he made a mistake and ended up having to pay for the ultimate price. I feel that the parents should have supervised him with along with the younger kids, because young boys always seem to be the ones that are more rambunctious than girls.

- Considering how violent Naruto can be, I would have suggested that the parents do monitor what their kids are watching, and if any concerns, either

a)discuss the show with the child about how inappropriate it can be
b) or watch it with them, and explain the series...

A little guidance couldn't hurt, my godparents do that all the time, and even though the their child knows better, he still gets himself into trouble from time to time, and that's just crazy if you think that your kid is a perfect angel and wont see anything like this.

And we laugh at AFHV when people constantly hurt themselves, and that's a family show.

Sorry if this sounds cruel, he died doing something "not so smart." I feel sorry for him yes, and I do understand how much his parents would be in pain for loosing a loved one.

However, considering how he died, I feel rather indifferent, and in all instances, I still blame the parents. YES, I DO. Because it seems that kids are just not able to do any better, and it gets worse as they get older. Some kids aren't so easily as influenced as others, but seriously... >_>;
GregZor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well now that the kid died I'll bet theres gonna be some big media stink about this and some angry yuppie soccer-moms with too much time on their hands are going to start some organization like MAA (Mothers Against Anime) and go prancing around FYEs and hobby stores picketing with signs that read "Anime is murder". They'll be wanting tough restrictions on importation of this ADULT-ENTERTAINMENT disguised as children's shows.

Raise your damn kids yourselves people. Stop expecting the fed's regulations to do it for you. The fact that the kid died does not change the fact he wasn't being supervised.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Time and Space wrote:
P.S, It's interesting, the way these kinds of stories split the community into those who mock the child and those who don't, we even have a clumsy debate about various forms of Darwinism. Some people, due to their heartlessness, seem to be acting as eugenicist, which makes me both laugh, and weep at the same time.

Welcome to Anime News Network where even the slightest mention of anime and rights can ignite essay long posts about the meaning of life and Marxism. Rolling Eyes

By the way, I feel sorry for the kid who passed away but indifferent emotionally. The kid honestly should've known better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8