• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Not unusual. Reviewers love to downgrade Type Moon stuff, and that's nothing new.

Like Unlimited Blade Works, critics will eat its flesh and gnaw its bones, while completely ignoring the entertainment value.

For example, I'm sure that Persona 4 will get much better ratings and compliments and stuff, but entertainment wise the thing sucks so bad.

This is politics.

Well, Zac himself gave Kara No Kyoukai pretty high remarks...
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Let's make it the Fate franchise to be more specific. But I agree though, Kara no Kyoukai was pretty good, good enough to make me spend $550.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
I can assure you that Fate/Zero is no Koihime Musou.

LOL! I would certainly hope so, but let's not pretend these elements wouldn't hurt the sales of Fate/Zero. The doujinshi I've seen between Saber and Rin was enough to make me blush.

If I don't see that I won't believe you. Hope there's something in my inbox by the end of the day. Laughing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
If I don't see that I won't believe you. Hope there's something in my inbox by the end of the day. Laughing

Are you trying to tell us you've not figure out how to use Google to your advantage?

For shame, egoist. For shame. Here's a hint: In the search settings, remove the filter, add Japanese to the search language results, and use your imagination in the search text box and add "sex" afterward.

Tissues sold separately.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I agree entirely with the flaws pointed out, but I also feel that they were very exaggerated in the review. For example, I didn't feel there was really that much unnecessary technical talk between Saber and Lancer, when in reality only a few lines were actually said and most of it was just Saber thinking to herself. It's a different way to approach fight scenes and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. The same goes for the exposition-heavy dialogue.

It seems like the type of story that tries to give a lot of scattered information early on and put them together as the series progresses. Again, not a very conventional way of doing things. Rather than have everything paced predictably, Fate/Zero, at least so far, appears to be the type of series that tries to set up everything from the start and then have it all come together in the end. If that was the case, then Carlo's opinion of the series will probably change as it progresses. I wouldn't blame the reviewer for not liking it, but I wouldn't say that justifies a D, either.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Wow! Over 70 comments in less than a week!

Nerd baiting - works like a charm!

I actually disagree with the review but didn't bother mentioning it earlier in the thread since I didn't see the point. I'll just acknowledge that the reviewer's tastes do not match mine and move on with the knowledge that I should avoid any other reviews he writes.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
sainta wrote:
Wow! Over 70 comments in less than a week!

Nerd baiting - works like a charm!

OMG you're right it's a trap Laughing
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
The mark D says that this show, the first six episodes, looks like worst among all reviewed this and last year.

Though the criticisms are correct, the marks are inadequate (though it is typical for Carlo, given his natural role of "evil" reviewer).
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
While I don't agree with the scores, I wasn't actually planning on replying to any of this until the referencing to the US mathematical scoring system came up.

Zac wrote:
0-59% - F

60-69% - D

70-79% - C

80-89% - B

90-100% - A

If this was indeed the case for the reviews on this site, I have to agree that there should be far, far more reviews with D and F scores. Plus, a percentage of what? How much the reviewer is enjoying said trait of said show? So, by that logic...

"I'm enjoying about 2/3rds of everything in this show! I spend about two out of every three minutes quite entertained! A D it is!"

That's just ridiculous. By that measure, to even get a "D", something must be statistically above average.

This is, of course, just an assumption, but it feels clear to me that the average review on ANN - including those in the preview guides (which I quite enjoy, I'll add) - are not based on the same percentage scale that I quoted. They seem based more around the other way the A-F scale is often used in America:

F - Terrible

D - Below Average (Bad)

C - Average (Mediocre)

B - Above Average (Good)

A - Excellent

The general opinion seems to be that a C is the standard mid-line for things - average, unremarkable, a mixture of good and bad. I agree with the earlier sentiment that if a reviewer feels a show does something great half the time and only average the other half, that would be indicative of a B. Likewise, then, an interpretation of D would be something being bad half the time and only mediocre the other half.

I'm not going to jump all over Carlo for his scores because to each their own. However, I do agree with the general sentiment in this thread that his scores seem incongruent with his actual review. I've gotten the impression from his posts that he probably holds a personal bias towards the story outside of its merits, though whether it's because it's Type-Moon, Visual Novel connected, overly-hyped or whatever, I have no clue. (And I'm not particularly scrutinizing this - I'm no Type-Moon supporter and I certainly have biases of my own.) But, at the very least, I think it should be easy enough to recognize why the scores managed to raise so many eyebrows, even from those who don't necessarily love the show or aren't Type-Moon fans. Afterall, that D in story means its story is worse than the average show. I know Carlo consumes a fair amount of media and therefore should be plenty aware of what "the average show" is like, and so, I mean... really...???

Edit: Added two sentences to the end.

Last edited by Etrien on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
That was an excellent post Etrien, very well written. I especially agree with this:

Etrien wrote:
F - Terrible

D - Below Average (Bad)

C - Average (Mediocre)

B - Above Average (Good)

A - Excellent

The general opinion seems to be that a C is the standard mid-line for things - average, unremarkable, a mixture of good and bad. I agree with the earlier sentiment that if a reviewer feels a show does something great half the time and only average the other half, that would be indicative of a B. Likewise, then, an interpretation of D would be something being bad half the time and only mediocre the other half.

I use a very similar system myself, hence my natural confusion as to why some pretty mediocre shows have been getting C grades if a 'C' is supposed to mean 70-79%.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:

Zac wrote:
0-59% - F

60-69% - D

70-79% - C

80-89% - B

90-100% - A

F - Terrible

D - Below Average (Bad)

C - Average (Mediocre)

B - Above Average (Good)

A - Excellent

This is exactly how you'd interpret the numbers I gave earlier. Our reviews work on this scale.

I get the point you're making but it's pedantic and this isn't really very difficult to figure out whatsoever. The grading system we use is extremely simple.

At this point I'm just glad you guys don't respond to review scores the same way gamers do. Yeesh.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
But do not you agree that marks are pedantic concept in principle?

So how can we not be pedantic when we discuss the scale?

And if there is no need for "pedantism", why use the grades system at all?

If there is no wish to follow actual grade and, as you say, the same mark by the same reviewer could mean different level of badness or goodness depending on "context", then what is sense of this system?

Why then not get back to earlier times, when reviews did not have ABCD(E)F marks, only "+", and "-"?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Etrien wrote:

Zac wrote:
0-59% - F

60-69% - D

70-79% - C

80-89% - B

90-100% - A

F - Terrible

D - Below Average (Bad)

C - Average (Mediocre)

B - Above Average (Good)

A - Excellent

This is exactly how you'd interpret the numbers I gave earlier. Our reviews work on this scale.

I get the point you're making but it's pedantic and this isn't really very difficult to figure out whatsoever. The grading system we use is extremely simple.

At this point I'm just glad you guys don't respond to review scores the same way gamers do. Yeesh.

It's just the same as the 1-5 scale. I am gamer myself zac and reading some game reviews comments make me want to punch fanboys...aye
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strife212

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
Music C?

Music C?
gwdone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
I loved Fate/Stay except for the ending. My whole problem is the price taggery that Aniplex is bombing hardcore fans with.
Believe me I'm all about owning versus streaming, or shall I say "buffering". And love the packages with all the extras, but goodness $300+ for any series is really out of line. I get flashbacks of my desires for Garden of Sinners and the reality of my finances and my utter hatred of a streaming anything. If I'm going to pay, I'm going to own. Advertisement free of course!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6