• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Posts Q&A Video on Elite Subscriptions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to playing with the elite subscription and I was not impressed even before I even played a video.

I’m not really sure how the shows are organized at any given time; I thought that clicking order put the shows in alphabetical order. And it did for some shows but not for others, including the four shows I cared about. With all the ads on the screen I did have a lot of things to look at while looking for the shows.

I finally find House of Five Leaves, Shiki, Princes Jellyfish and The Tatami Galaxy upon doing so there was much rejoicing. But why were they all listed after xxxHOLIC? Apparently it is none of my business as too why.

So I open The Tatami Galaxy only to find no selection of HD or SD so I figure it will be on the player like CR or HD isn’t even offered. It is on the video player it is just not very well located, and hard to use on a portable device, hopefully an app is forthcoming.

I started off watching in SD and the show plays fine no complaints from me, so I restart the video in HD. I hear the noitaminA jingle and the Funimation jingle all while the screen is blank and says loading. The audio and video never resynced and the show basically turned into a slide show. I tried a second show with the same buffering issues, figuring it might be my connection I opened Amazon and CR. Using Amazon VOD I started the first episode of Once Upon a Time in HD, played fine. In CR I opened the first episode of Steins;Gate it also played fine, In fact they both played at the same time with out issue.

For the number of shows that are on the site that I don’t own already it will be more cost affective to buy the shows on disc or preferably Amazon VOD then to subscribe to the service. Add too it the quality issues of the video player, the bad site design, the fact that new streams are not included and the lack of a portable app I would not buy the service and would not recommend it to people.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
I cancelled my subscription after fiddling around with it. It is useless to me. I was expecting something like Crunchyroll's subscription but was very disappointed with what they had to offer. I buy most of their products anyway so things like watching HD shows that have been out for ages, and are available on home releases already, is pretty pointless for me. I was really was hoping for things like Future Diary to be in HD quality.

Sorry Funi but my money is still going towards CR for stream subscriptions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
So - it really makes no sense to me to pay for this service. I have all the Funimation DVDs and blurays I already want in my collection. I can stick them into either of my two bluray players, and watch them on my 40" HD tvs anytime I want.

I don't think the target of the subscription is to grab an extra $7/month from the collectors in their DVD market who provide a majority of their DVD revenue, it would rather be to broaden their revenue base.

On the player quality issues, seems like they should have bought Crunchyroll's player code instead. Indeed, they could have got a range of device support at the same time.

Added: I'll note that right now I am catching up on some anime other than Funimation's, in addition to following Last Exile: fam, so I'm sticking with Hulu+ this season and will think about giving Funimation.com elite a whirl in Winter 2012.

Last edited by agila61 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
So far, only getting negative responses concerning the quality of the elite streaming service.

I never had much luck on streaming.

Anybody getting quality streaming service off this Elite Funimation service. Meaning no constantly buffering, stuttering, or other problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2