• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Eva Sketches Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I think Lost_Toys may be right, even the site I said had it as a costume designer, has changed it after watching the DVD apparantly.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be funny if "Susan" actually turned out to be a totally rewritten Shinji character? Shoot, he emasculates himself plenty in the series anyway, so why not just change the gender and make it like Charlie's Angels with giant robots?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:45 am Reply with quote
A few things:

DMR-whatever: you have got to be the stupidest, most spectacularly obvious troll I have ever encountered on any forum. Impressive. I'd almost applaud, if it ewren't so pathetic.

Second: I WANT them to change the names, at least unless they are doing an entirely Japanese cast (which I really wouldn't expect but wouldn't be entirely suprised at, either). I don't want to hear (as was rightly noted in the AICN forums) a horribly approximated pronunciation of a Japanese name by an actor or actress who doesn't know more than a half dozen words of the language. Also, Asuka is (at least partially) [i]GERMAN[/], and wouldn't have a Japanese name to begin with. It would add to her aloofness from the other characters, as well.

Oh, and anybody who has seen so much as one episode of the Live Action Sailor Moon can tell you that neon hair in live action looks f@#$ing ridiculous. Definately needs to be dropped, and I never entirely liked it in the anime. Live action allows significantly more ways to establish a wild difference in character appearance anyway, since the human eye has years of experience in telling whther what we are looking at is supposed to be "normal." Reestablishing realistic "unnatural" features in a live action adaptation of an animated series of films and broadcast episodes? Much easier to believe than the holdovers of coloring black and white images for magazine covers, if you ask me.

Other than the aforementioned, I like the job that WETA seems to be doing so far, and wish them the best of luck.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:51 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if "Susan" actually turned out to be a totally rewritten Shinji character? Shoot, he emasculates himself plenty in the series anyway, so why not just change the gender and make it like Charlie's Angels with giant robots?

Susan...Shinji...Su...Shi...SUSHI! Very Happy

thecactusman17 wrote:
A few things:

DMR-whatever: you have got to be the stupidest, most spectacularly obvious troll I have ever encountered on any forum. Impressive. I'd almost applaud, if it ewren't so pathetic.

Second: I WANT them to change the names, at least unless they are doing an entirely Japanese cast (which I really wouldn't expect but wouldn't be entirely suprised at, either). I don't want to hear (as was rightly noted in the AICN forums) a horribly approximated pronunciation of a Japanese name by an actor or actress who doesn't know more than a half dozen words of the language. Also, Asuka is (at least partially) [i]GERMAN[/], and wouldn't have a Japanese name to begin with. It would add to her aloofness from the other characters, as well.

Oh, and anybody who has seen so much as one episode of the Live Action Sailor Moon can tell you that neon hair in live action looks f@#$ing ridiculous. Definately needs to be dropped, and I never entirely liked it in the anime. Live action allows significantly more ways to establish a wild difference in character appearance anyway, since the human eye has years of experience in telling whther what we are looking at is supposed to be "normal." Reestablishing realistic "unnatural" features in a live action adaptation of an animated series of films and broadcast episodes? Much easier to believe than the holdovers of coloring black and white images for magazine covers, if you ask me.

Other than the aforementioned, I like the job that WETA seems to be doing so far, and wish them the best of luck.

I'd hug you in agreement, but there's a screen in the way. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
iwalrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:39 am Reply with quote
Just a thought: Does anyone have any kind of high-hopes for this production? Do we dare to dream that it will do any kind of justice to the series? I sure don't. I will see this film when it comes out if for nothing more than to complain on a forum about it later. I expect them to change the storyline, re-do the characters, fall victim to aweful casting, and just generally special-effects the hell out of it. I see it as being a hit with everyone but original fans, which may be its downfall.
As you can see, I'm not optimistic person about this. I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm hoping they do it justice, but here's wishing...
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:39 pm Post subject: NEWS: Live Action Eva Sketches Online

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a thought: Does anyone have any kind of high-hopes for this production? Do we dare to dream that it will do any kind of justice to the series? I sure don't. I will see this film when it comes out if for nothing more than to complain on a forum about it later. I expect them to change the storyline, re-do the characters, fall victim to aweful casting, and just generally special-effects the hell out of it. I see it as being a hit with everyone but original fans, which may be its downfall.
As you can see, I'm not optimistic person about this. I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm hoping they do it justice, but here's wishing...

In effect, your afraid that it will become exactly what we've always wanted it to become: Mainstream.

Stop bitching and face facts: most of the things you've just mentioned would be a positive aspect for this series, save the crappy actors statement. This film needs to be rewritten--the originals shouldn't be all crammed together into a two hour-plus mess, and problems with budget and experimentalism kept the end series of the original as well as the movies along with them too difficult for the average moviegoer to understand in terms of "what the heck is going on?" And in both Japan and America, thank you very much.

Really, changing basics to make the NG: Evangelion concept more streamlined and focused on its core is not a bad thing at all, and honestly I think the series suffered in some ways by being stretched out over 26 episodes and two movies to begin with. If all you're going to do is complain about how Gainax and WETA are "raping your childhood," then you're not a fan, you're just stupid for not being able to accept that there were problems in something you liked, and a lot of other people want to see them fixed.

Oh, and "special effects the hell out of it?" Most people would agree that the first six episodes or so were just special effects runs so far as most animation is concerned: relatively little in the way of structured plot and lots of monster-of-the-week action. WETA, whose work with the Lord of the Rings proved to me that they can properly mix special effects with live action film when working with a responsible director (who still hasn't been chosen, mind you), is an excellent choice for an adaptation of a film that will require that they "special effects the hell out of it."

That said: If you haven't noticed, this film is being worked on by Gainax, not just WETA, and I'm certain that if you can't find something positive about that, you shouldn't be interested in this thread at all. Go on, off with you. Shoo, shoo.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I think considering that they don't have a studio interested in actually producing this thing yet, now is not the time to bother having strong opinions one way or the other, since, even if a studio actually does bite, which is far from certain, we won't actually see this thing in theatres for years. Everything we've seen so far just boils down to what ADV and Gainax would *like* to do, not what they will actually do once a studio becomes involved, if a studio ever gets involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I love how people going ape s*** over a stupid name change "oh my god the world is ending Rei is now Raye!" and as for no Japanese Actors serusly none of the characters in Evangelion looked Japanese!!"

[sarcasm] they better not make it in english either[sarcasm]

get over it ok.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:

I laughed so hard, not because this seems insane, but in the world of big budgets, nothing is impossible. If you are going to make a "blockbuster" hit, you have to try to get the largest audience you can. And, well, sexy kick ass chicks has yet to realy fail Hollywood at this moment in time.

I remember reading the first treatment of Minority Report, and they wrote it like a sequal to Total Recall [also based off of a Philip K Dick short story].

Never give Hollywood, or any production company, too much credit when it comes to them designing what will be "the next big summer blockbuster," because they will change everything needed in order to sell tickets.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think considering that they don't have a studio interested in actually producing this thing yet, now is not the time to bother having strong opinions one way or the other

Wrong. Now is exactly the time to have strong opinions about it. It lets the studios know that there is a level of expectation in how to treat this, seeing as how the Evangelion series already has such a large fanbase and how the concept is making large numbers of non-fans suddenly a lot more interested after seeing the concept sketches not look like some "dumb anime tripe."

Evangelion is still in a stage where the fans can say "hey, that's not going to work" or "hey, that changes the meaning of the series dramatically, and is not a representation of the series as a whole or in part." Catwoman, which has internet fans screaming in terror, is at a level where we can only hope that Warner Bros. will delay production and take a closer look at improving the film--or at least its image, as the only ones we've seen have been hideous.

I don't want Evangelion to become the next Leagu of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Catwoman, or Joel Schumaker Batman flick, so I'm speaking up NOW.
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I hate all of you

You: Why do you care so much about something as trivial as a name change? Stop going ape sh** over something so trivial.

Me: If it's soooo trivial, why bother changing it, and I'm not going ape sh**, I'm just annoyed by it, and I'll get over it, so stop telling me what I think. Mmm K

You: There were problems with the show, stop lying to yourself, the movie can fix those prob...blah Blah BLah BLAh BLAH

Me:Uh, I know that there were problems. For instance, I hate the way unit 2 looked in EoE, I know it's hard to understand both endings, but just because you don't get 'em doesn't mean that there's something wrong with 'em. Just keep watching 'em til you understand the endings, or til your eyes bleed, which ever comes first.

You: It's still in pre production, why are you bitching so much.

Me: JUST TO F*** WITH YOU Evil or Very Mad
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:47 am Reply with quote
#1Evafan wrote:
I hate all of you

And right now I mirror that same sentiment towards the vast majority of the Evangelion fan community. You people are starting to remind me of that 4Kids crowd Asaqe runs with.

#1Evafan wrote:
You: Why do you care so much about something as trivial as a name change? Stop going ape sh** over something so trivial.

Me: If it's soooo trivial, why bother changing it, and I'm not going ape sh**, I'm just annoyed by it, and I'll get over it, so stop telling me what I think. Mmm K

Mass market appeal. Face facts, most Americans struggle with Japanese names. Even among anime fans, you'll find people that struggle with remembering Japanese names. Yet they'll pick up Western names a lot easier, and these new names will likely have scant minimal bearing on the character's personality in the long run (Asuka's name is changed to Kate, yet she's still a firebrand bitch; did the new name REALLY ruin the character?).

#1Evafan wrote:
You: It's still in pre production, why are you bitching so much.

Me: JUST TO F*** WITH YOU Evil or Very Mad

And do you realize how obnoxious it makes you and the rest of the Eva community sound? Seriously, you're finding faults with an entire movie based on a couple square centimeters of drawing paper, what logic goes into that? Wait until we get something more substantial before you start inundating forums with your petty complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:17 am Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:

Wrong. Now is exactly the time to have strong opinions about it. It lets the studios know that there is a level of expectation in how to treat this, seeing as how the Evangelion series already has such a large fanbase and how the concept is making large numbers of non-fans suddenly a lot more interested after seeing the concept sketches not look like some "dumb anime tripe."

Seriously? Do you seriously think that big-budget film studios give a damn about what a few petty fanboys on a few forums here and there think about their next movie? The only way you'd get them to hear your voices is if you organized a coast to coast mass public campaign absolutely screaming to death. Which, in that case, none of the studios would want the burden of catering to our whiny fanboy/girl asses.

Sure, I want this Eva movie to turn out well just as much as the next Eva fan, but moaning over it on an anime forum isn't going to give film directors so much as gas.

As for the rest of you, THINK people. If you're going to make a movie with Japanese names for the characters, you'll need Asian actors. Why in the world would there be Asians running around with fiery red hair if they weren't Shibuya punks? Solution, have white people. A white person named Asuka or Misato would be pretty stupid. Solution, change her name to Kate Rose. For chrissakes, it's an Anglo name for an Anglo person. And let's say they want to keep Rei Asian or something. So they put her with black hair. Because once again, an Asian girl with blue hair = punk.

Yeah, sure, Sailor Moon live has girls with blonde hair, but Eva is not Sailor Moon. If they want to make this a credible movie that will appeal to people outside of the Anime/Gaming/Nerd fanbase, they need a story and characters that will be swallowed by the average American populace. A bunch of Japanese teenagers running around with multi-colored hair is not going to do it.

I really don't see why everyone is so uptight about it. They changed the uniforms for X-men didn't they? I thought it was an awesome movie, and lots of hardcore X-men fans agreed. And they sure as hell had to do some rewriting by condensing a comic book series into a couple of movies, not to mention not making them wear yellow spandex. Movies like the Parent Trap and Freaky Friday were remade, but who bitched about it? NO ONE.

Anime fans have this complex where they think they are the most beloved, most important creatures on God's green DVD. If a live action adaptation of Eva is going to be made, it will cost MILLIONS of dollars. So if they plan on making any money from the movie, they will cater to the general American/International audience. Not a small gaggle of fanboys who want their girls to be prebuscent and Asian. MONEY makes the world go round. Not fanboy pipe dreams.

And for all of you who think that WETA is going to suck up the special effects, name one time they've ever sucked up special effects. I thought they did an AMAZING job on Lord of the Rings. If Lord of the Rings made hordes of Americans want to read the original books, then a live action Eva adaptation can make hordes of Americans want to watch the series. This what movie audiences do. They love a movie, and they want MORE. They watch a movie based on a book, and they want to read the book. They watch a movie based on a comic, and they'll want to read it. MORE MORE MORE. Instead of alienating 90% of America with a live Eva movie, why not cater to them? Why not make them love it so much they'll want to seek out the original series?

Eva fans: You are NOT the center of the universe. Repeat after me. "I am not the center of the universe. Companies make decisions without reading every anime forum in America."

And in the unlikely situation that they butcher Eva, so what? WHO CARES. The original Eva will still be there, won't it? What are you losing from the whole experience? NOTHING. At the very worst, you lose 2 hours of your time and $10 (assuming East Coast expensive movie price). But you can STILL be an Eva fan. The series will STILL be there for you. Watching a potentially bad movie is NOT a personal insult, nor is a slam on your manhood. For chrissakes people, it's a goddamned cartoon. I love Eva. It's one of my favorite series of all time. And you know what? If they butcher the movie, I'll walk out of the theater, know that I saw a bad movie, and just go home to my Eva DVDs. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. GROW UP. And heaven forbid, THINK.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:36 am Reply with quote
Deep breaths Sakechan, it's going to be alright.

I said this in a previous post, but I'll say it again. Name changes do not matter. As long as the characters act the way they do in the anime and the basic storyline is intact, then it'll be a great movie.

Just remember this, the Eva movie is still in the early stages. There is no script, no actors, no major studio to finance this, yet. There is no guarantee that this movie will get made. Take it easy, relax. The world is not going to end just because of a few name changes.

Last edited by Louie-kun on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:41 am Reply with quote
"Evangelion is still in a stage where the fans can say "hey, that's not going to work" or "hey, that changes the meaning of the series dramatically, and is not a representation of the series as a whole or in part." Catwoman, which has internet fans screaming in terror, is at a level where we can only hope that Warner Bros. will delay production and take a closer look at improving the film--or at least its image, as the only ones we've seen have been hideous. "

Well, buddy, I hate to break it to you, but both you and Bamboo are completely and utterly wrong about this.

There was an article in Variety a week or two ago about this. It focused on 'Battlestar Galactica', and the fan outrage over that. It said that the big studios have discovered that internet fan forums represent an incredibly small and extremely angry and hateful minority. The only reason they ever listened to any of that before was because they were still under the old assumption that one letter of outrage from a fan represented 10,000 angry fans; if one person said something about it, the same was true for at least that many other people. What they've discovered is that most of the complaining and whining about movies online is done by hyper-critical, intensely angry fanboys who hate everything and ar extremely rude, vitrolic and bitter towards nearly everyone, and they only represent themselves. 20, 30, even 60 people complaining on a forum about a movie does not represent anything remotely close to a consensus about the choices made in a film; what you have is a bunch of people whining for the sake of whining, and since they hear maybe 20 other voices like their, they assume there's some massive national consensus. The truth is, the average moviegoer, who has moderate and mostly banal feelings about the films they see, do not care one whit about name changes or hair color. 99 percent of the people in the audience for a regular show on a Saturday morning won't care at all. And that's where most of the money comes from.

Since they've discovered this, the studios have shut off the pipeline. They aren't reading the forums anymore. The only.. and I repeat this.. the only way anything like this ever works is if there's an outpouring of POSITIVE reaction from someone over something, like "please don't cancel our show" or "please add a subtitle track to this DVD, we love this movie!". It needs to be backed up by a letter-writing campaign, and you need to be as polite as possible.

But they aren't going to take advice from a bunch of hyper-diapers who don't know ANYTHING about what makes a good movie, have absolutely no concept of how to make a good film and yet fancy themselves experts on the subject matter.

In short: cry all you want, nobody will hear you scream. You ruined that for yourselves when you became so incredibly spoiled and expected these multimillion dollar films to cater to your every whim.

This is from the pages of Variety, and no other paper on the planet knows what's happening inside these studios better than Variety does. Hate to burst your bubble, but nobody inside the system cares what you say, no matter how many thousands of like-minded fanboys you get screaming. At this point, they'll go out of their way to ignore you.

-Z
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4