• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Eva Sketches Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roo-Roo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
And I don't understand this big movie talk you're speaking of Zac. We don't care about your knowlege fo how movies do. Thiis is about quality. And if you have a problem with internet buzz, why are you on a forum? If you watch the first director's cut of Eva, look at the sneak-peek of the live-action movie. The guys from Weta Workshop state that they will be reading online forums to see what the fans want. thanks.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Roo-Roo wrote:
I guaruntee the whole dummy plug deal will be wiped away from the movie. People in America wouldn't be able to grasp the concept if they haven't sat with the series.

Even if it's explained in the movie?

Roo-Roo wrote:
The idea of Rei's body being a shell for a single soul will have American's screaming. Especially in the religious world we have found ourself in. The religious involvement of the series will be taken away in the film to suit American religious beliefs and to avoid offense.

So, if America bans religion from its films, how come Exorcist, Stigmata, Omen, Dogma, The Passion of Christ, etc. even exist?

Roo-Roo wrote:
If we can't there's a problem with us. Why do we have to change a legendary character's name to form-fit our own selfish American tongues?

Then there must be a problem with Japan, too. Ever notice how the leading male in Japanese anime, even when the show is very international, is usually Japanese in origin and/or name? Gundam SEED, for example, has characters named Murrue, Mwu, Fllay, Raww, Crot...but the main character? Kira Yamato. Very Japanese name, that. And look at Macross; amidst all the Roy Fokkers and Claudias and Globals and Max Geniuses...you have Hikaru Ichijo as a lead. Even when the character doesn't have a specifically Japanese name, they at least have Japanese lineage (Robin Cena of Witch Hunter Robin, for example...at least as of episode five, she was apparently born in Japan).

You can't say America's the only one that typically has its lead be of the same nationality as the audience. Other nations do it, too.

Roo-Roo wrote:
They won't have enough time to fit every piece of Evangelion in one movie. I assure you, you cannot fit 16 hours of amazing anime into a two, possibly three hour movie.

There will probably be a dissapearance in characters such as Kajii ( and if he IS in the movie, his part will probably blown up to fit his "American Male" rogue personality) Kowaru will not be in the movie for the reason that if it's a big robot movie, why fight a human in one of the last battles?

They weren't planning on cramming the whole thing into one movie to begin with. The plan is to have the first movie cover the first few episodes, and then make sequels if it does well.

Roo-Roo wrote:
But, in a final conclusion, making a great Evangelion movie is impossible.

That's rather presumptuous of you. Whatever happened to giving something a chance before pissing all over it?

Roo-Roo wrote:
If you tell me that there will be a few Eva movies, then maybe I'll stop this.

Just did. Now please stop assuming things before they happen.

Roo-Roo wrote:
But for anyone who loves anime and loves Evangelion, this movie will suck.

I love anime. I love Evangelion. Oddly enough, I'm optimistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Roo-Roo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote
They never mentioned making more Eva movies in the first place. The fact that they say " This film " and not something to make us think otherwise says it all. As far as the dummy plugs go, it took a lot of people to realize that Rei was the dummy plug's personality and soul. You can't just mention it in a movie and expect it to have the same affect.
Those movies all caused controversy. And a good handful of those movies did shitty because of the religion being so much of a part of the movie. The Passion of Christ is causing so much controversy that people are almost turning against eachother, even though that wasn't the original intention of the movie.
In conclusion, I'm not pissing on anything. i'm very optomistic about things.Hollywood has this thing with pissing on great, original stories. They take a great idea, wipe it with their ass, and call it cinema. They want to use a bunch of special effects to bring a robot anime to life.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Roo-Roo wrote:
They never mentioned making more Eva movies in the first place. The fact that they say " This film " and not something to make us think otherwise says it all.

Anime Insider #12 featured an interview with Matt Greenfield in which he basically said the first film would only be part of the story, leaving it open for sequels if it's successful, but making the first movie largely self-contained in case it tanks (a la The Matrix).

Roo-Roo wrote:
As far as the dummy plugs go, it took a lot of people to realize that Rei was the dummy plug's personality and soul. You can't just mention it in a movie and expect it to have the same affect.

From memory, it really wasn't that hard to figure out. Nor was it the most vital plot point to begin with.

Roo-Roo wrote:
In conclusion, I'm not pissing on anything. i'm very optomistic about things.

How in all the conceivable universe is "But, in a final conclusion, making a great Evangelion movie is impossible" being optimistic?

Roo-Roo wrote:
Hollywood ... take a great idea, wipe it with their ass, and call it cinema.

...is it just me or is this childish "all holywud movys r teh suk" mentality getting really old? I'd say Hollywood's doing a pretty damn good job as of late, what with the likes of Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, X-Men, Kill Bill, Matrix, Road to Perdition, Finding Nemo, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:01 am Reply with quote
Considering that there's no script, no actors, no movie studio to foot the bill, and no guarantee that the Eva movie will ever be made, it's presumptuous to say that the Eva movie will suck just because the names are changed.

Besides, Hollywood has taken several properties, like Spider-Man, X-Men, Harry Potter, and Lord of The Rings, and made great movies out of them that are true to the spirit of the original creation. Some things have to be changed when making a movie, sure, but the concept is still there. This isn't something to worry about.

Relax, it's not the end of the world just because Asuka is named Kate Rose.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
My favorite novel is Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. It's been adapted to film twice. Neither movie could capture even a tenth of what's in the book. Both movies are great movies. That's adaptation; make something new and good using the source material as just that, source material.

The Lord of the Rings movies barely touch on the elvish language; Tolkien said he wrote the books largely as an excuse to create the language. Does the fact that the movies largely trimmed one of the most important (to the author, anyway) aspects of the books make them failures?

Hideaki Anno has said that he wants the live film to be different from the anime, that the makers shouldn't feel bound to the original, but should make something new. So the creator of Eva has given them permission to change things, reinterpret them, recreate them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:14 am Reply with quote
My, but this is an old topic. Fine, I'll bite. But there's no point in fighting all of your complaints--because there are no confirmed details of Evangelion--not even the production sketches we have seen. All we know for certain is this; WETA (Lord of the Rings special effects) talked GAINAX (the original producers of Evangelion) into making a potential movie adaptation. As such, GAINAX has an idea of the core pilosophies and concepts which Hideoki Anno tried to convey in his groundbreaking work Shin Seiki Evangerion (Neon Genesis Evangelion to us gaijin). I don't know about you, but the very fact that the first people WETA went to and asked about this were the people who created it and who nurtured it into the phenomenon it is today tells me that they are interested in making a good film.

The fact that they are stepping away from some of the siller concepts (at least when transported to live action--see my post above) means that they are acknowledging the serious aspect of the story. And until someone can show me proof--be it in an interview conducted with WETA or GAINAX, production shots, or other credible information pertaining to the film that those core concepts are missing, I will continue to hold out hope that two of the most respected companies in their fields (both in the screen entertainment business) just might know how to faithfully and realistically bring an animated movie to real life, and keep us as entranced as when we whatched their other works.

As was mentioned above in reply to one of your posts,
"How in all the conceivable universe is 'But, in a final conclusion, making a great Evangelion movie is impossible' being optimistic? "

Good night. It's getting late here.
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:29 am Reply with quote
Some of the biggest Geeks in film want to work on this. Gainax is run by fanboys, and remembers their roots well. Weta is full of D&Ders with dreams of orcs and making a good horror movie. If anyone can bring a good movie forth, one that keeps the core of what Eva is what it is, then it is these folks. At the very least, they may help expand Gainax's live action capabilities and bring more awareness to Eva.
Now if Love and Pop and Anno's other live-action works will come over here, I'd be one happy fanboy.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
Weta didn't convince Gainax to do anything; special effects companies don't option films. According to the press releases ADVision optioned the rights from Gainax, then got Weta on board to handle the effects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:31 am Reply with quote
The concept sketches so far are pretty disappointing to me. I don't understand why they are changing the robots.. I thought they looked pretty good, and have already proven (via models and figurines) that they translate well into 3d. Now Eva 01 looks like... a dinosaur. Why? Wasn't the cool part about Eva realizing that there was an organic entity hidden under that armor?

Poor concepts aside, I can't really see anyone producing this movie. It will cost millions upon millions, and it would need a damn good script to work. I dunno. I have my doubts. Confused
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. I don't think this image has been brought up yet.

My theory is that this may be something akin to the 13th angel.
Someone else proposed a theory that it may be a redesigned Adam.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any descriptions for it like there were for the other concept art.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well that piccy is intresting. *loves concept art* It'll be cool if the movie actually does eventully get made so we can compare the concept art AND the original Eva designs. People shouldn't worry too much about the concept art. Take a look at the original Evangelion anime concept art and you'll see very different looking characters then the end result.

Being a Star Wars fan, I'm used to seeing weird out of the way concept art that doesn't even make it into the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4