• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Video Site with Unauthorized Anime Gets US$4M Capital

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Chalk that up to venture investors. Invest in company, buy company stock, wait till stock doubles or triples. Sell stock before company begins downward spiral, legal troubles etc. Wipe hands clean in the end, usually couple years down the road.

Doesn't work that way. The company hasn't gone public yet. The VC's money is going to be locked in for a while. If the company sinks before the VCs are allowed to sell their shares, they lose their money.

-t
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmmnn... guess "taking the cheap route" (as on company's rep had previously stated to me) and just issuing C&Ds to folks like this isn't getting the job done.

Oh well. The interesting thing will be to see whether any company will strap on a set and assist in criminal prosecution under NET.

Since no company has yet to even cry foul to LEO/FLEO with regards to the bootlegging in the US, I'm not holding my breath.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Rant:Last time I checked the world was corrupt.There are very few cases where justice prevails.Why do you think movies have Heros,and the US paints itself as the good guys.Denial will tell you that things are all right,when it's obviously not.

Narutofan is another scumbag website that makes money off Naruto and Bleach.Theives!I wonder how much revenue they make?
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't get what's so shocking. How is this any different from what youtube did?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sheighton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
It is illegal to charge for providing copyrighted content without permission or payment to the copyright owner. True...That however is not what Crunchyroll does, there is no required fee involved, as membership and access to the video content is free. One can however donate money to keep the site up. These donations provide the revenue necessary for the bandwidth and work towards gaining the right to provide licensed media. Furthermore, once a series becomes licensed uploads are no longer allowed and in accordance with DMCA regulations the media is removed within a timely fashion. In addition to this if a specific group of fansubbers request that their subs not be uploaded, any upload of their subs is denied approval.

There is nothing illegal about any of this...Sorry to burst your bubble...
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
sheighton wrote:
It is illegal to charge for providing copyrighted content without permission or payment to the copyright owner. True...That however is not what Crunchyroll does, there is no required fee involved, as membership and access to the video content is free. One can however donate money to keep the site up. These donations provide the revenue necessary for the bandwidth and work towards gaining the right to provide licensed media. Furthermore, once a series becomes licensed uploads are no longer allowed and in accordance with DMCA regulations the media is removed within a timely fashion. In addition to this if a specific group of fansubbers request that their subs not be uploaded, any upload of their subs is denied approval.

Fansubbing is in and of itself illegal.

I'm a little bothered by this but to tell you the truth I'm perfectly happy as long as DVDs are still provided at fairly affordable prices to the public. Sure, some people will see things for free but me, I really just don't have the time or will to track stuff down and watch it in shakey quality with a shakey subtitle translation. I just don't think CrunchyRoll is going to shoot ahead of something like Youtube though simply because of a 4 million dollar investment.

Why didn't they invest in 4chan? (or is it 4ailChan?)
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
sheighton wrote:

none of this is money is going to the companies, so yes there are serious legal ramifications here. also as i said earlier, they're still hosting licensed shows, even though they claim they're not. just check their archives if you don't believe me.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
sheighton wrote:

Besides the illegal content, of course.
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Beyond DMCA complaints, companies could (and should) deal with this the old-fashioned way: Sue. Crunchyroll is making money off of copyright violations. That's what we call monetary damages. I hope this site loses four times this investment on lawsuits.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
dizzywulf wrote:
I only use crunchyroll to watch Asian dramas, that have probably no chance whatsoever of being licenced here. I buy the boxsets of dramas that I really really like though.
Still this makes me a little sad, I don't think they should have put any anime on it at all and should have been kept to just Asian dramas. I think this might be serious trouble for them.

Yeah I have a free crunchy roll site emebership for the same purpose but I almost never use it. I never even realized they had a lot of anime. I always think of it as a live action drama site. Though I think this is a crazy idea I will say this. CR takes down anything you ask them too. So if a fansubber doesn't want their stuff on crunchy roll just ask and they will comply. I know this for a fact because my favorite drama fansubbing group won't let CR upload their shows.

I still think this whole idea is crazy though.
sheighton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
sheighton wrote:

none of this is money is going to the companies, so yes there are serious legal ramifications here. also as i said earlier, they're still hosting licensed shows, even though they claim they're not. just check their archives if you don't believe me.

Still, CR is not technically profiting from the distribution of the anime as they are not charging a fee and the intention is not to make money...Donations are donations and donations are legal. That said, as for currently licensed anime on CR there are a few, but then again there is a only a certain number of years until a distribution license expires and the copyright reverts fully to the studio that created it.

Now the real problem is somewhat two-fold. The first part being the legality of fansubbing, and the second being the fact that CR has accumulated a publicly available library (violation of free use clause under Universal Studios v Sony America Corp 1983, otherwise known as the Betamax case). ---> EDIT: Then again let's say that the fannsubbers suddenly decided to start paying the distributor for their copy from which they create the translation and sites like Crunchyroll buy a single copy of said translation and then host it. Now, fee or no fee, donations or no, this in its very essence would be no different from a public library (books and digital media and all).

Last edited by sheighton on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
krelyan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
CR takes down anything you ask them too.

But that doesn't make much sense at all. It's absolutely baffling that they need to be told stop in the first place. "I'm going to do something I know is wrong/illegal/whatever until someone asks me to stop." Wth? What kind of excuse is that?

And once taken down, everybody was just supposed to pretend nothing happened? *shakes head*
sheighton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
CR takes down anything you ask them too.

But that doesn't make much sense at all. It's absolutely baffling that they need to be told stop in the first place. "I'm going to do something I know is wrong/illegal/whatever until someone asks me to stop." Wth? What kind of excuse is that?

Millions of legitimate companies worldwide use that one every day... Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
sheighton wrote:

Millions of legitimate companies worldwide use that one every day... Rolling Eyes

You're kind of bending over backwards and splitting hairs to defend a pretty obviously slimy, corrupt website.
sheighton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
sheighton wrote:

You're kind of bending over backwards and splitting hairs to defend a pretty obviously slimy, corrupt website.

Same could be said about a website that hosts suspicions that are not necessarily confirmed or denied and presents them as fact. Oh wait, does that sound a bit fraudulent to me? Maybe its just plain out lying, but since I have no way of confirming my suspicions either I can't be sure if this is the case or not... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9