• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces The World God Only Knows Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Ew no.

In return we get amateurish dubs rank with lip-sync issues, translation errors, and general Foster hackery.

If the difference between the downtime results in the difference between Spice and Wolf and Angel Beats dubs then sign me up for a year delay.

Well... nobody said you HAVE to watch it. Since you obviously know your going to get an amateurish dub. Why are you even here complaining? Go watch the sub version on CR or something don't bash on something that you don't even know is like. I'm referring to the dub version; your words are pointless since the dub hasn't been released yet you don't know whether or not it is bad or not.

bahamut623 wrote:

How's that a good thing? It means we get rushed out dubs. I'd rather wait for a while to get a quality release than the crappy rushed out sentai dubs

You can take into consideration that just because they just announced the license a month or a few weeks ago ( i think it was Comic-Con right? ) doesn't mean they didn't dub it at that time. They could have dubbed this way before they announced the License. They most likely did not want people to grow tired of the massive amounts of wait like Funimation does with their series. For example...the Licensing of the series Toaru Majutsu and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun...they announced this license LAST YEAR at Anime Expo and still no word on it at all. what the heck is wrong with that. I love Funimation but why? would they even do that.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Tsukento wrote:
No! The less main roles Todd has, the better. His voice just absolutely doesn't work for Keima. Especially not when he uses the exact same voice for every main lead. His Natsu in Fair Tail is jarring enough.

Why is it anytime a male character is known for having an outburst or two people clamor for that hack Todd to ham it up? Keima is a very, very serious character and even for a dub I would imagine him with a deeper voice than Todd has ever done.

It was long before this even became an anime. Hell, before Sentai started dubbing.

I was reading the manga and I typically assign voices to the characters according to whichever actor I deemed best. I find it helps aid me in reading them all the way. I try to guess which studio would best suit an anime adaptation beforehand so as to limit casting choices. It's obsessive compulsive, I know.

I chose Funimation at first because I felt, if this were to become an anime, they'd be able to give it a pretty impressive. At the time. And at the time, Todd's Sgt Frog kept crapping me the hell up, and I thought he would make some funny geeky outbursts as Keima.

Years have passed, the anime's been produced, and my thoughts on voice work have expanded quite a bit. I've just been reading the manga the same way for years, so it's hard to change over after getting used to it. It feels different after so long.

I do the same thing with webcomics. That's why I won't watch the animated Ctrl+Alt+Del; I'm afraid Lucas' voice will sound nothing like H. John Benjamin. Petty, but reasonable.

I digress though. Chris is a much better choice than I would have first thought. Not like it'll ruin the manga in general anyway.
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
Seif wrote:
Ew no.

In return we get amateurish dubs rank with lip-sync issues, translation errors, and general Foster hackery.

If the difference between the downtime results in the difference between Spice and Wolf and Angel Beats dubs then sign me up for a year delay.

Well... nobody said you HAVE to watch it. Since you obviously know your going to get an amateurish dub. Why are you even here complaining? Go watch the sub version on CR or something don't bash on something that you don't even know is like.

No, nobody said I HAD to watch it. But no one said that it's free from criticism either. I'm a huge dubfan, so don't throw that silly "Just watch it in Japanese and be quite' stuff on me. I haven't even seen the show, but it's certainly on my 'To Watch List,' so it's not like I'm even coming from some kind of preconceived notion of how the characters sound. My issue is that Sentai tends to have very poor quality control and would rather a more competent studio handle such a popular show.

Quote:
I'm referring to the dub version; your words are pointless since the dub hasn't been released yet you don't know whether or not it is bad or not.

No, it's not been released yet, but that doesn't mean I can't form opinions from a point of reference. Angel Beats, Guin Saga, and other Sentai dubs I've seen kinda suck. If Uwe Boll is directing a movie I shouldn't have to put myself through it before assuming it's going to be terrible. Your past performance provides a basis for judgement.

I really hope Kaminomi has a good dub. I do like Chris Patton and he''s certainly best in these Creep roles. But Foster is awful, especially lately. It doesn't matter how good your cast is if your director is a hack. If it proves me wrong, then great. [/quote]
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I've never found any problems with Sentai's dubs. I found them to be really well done for the most part, or at least the voice casting fit better then something Funimation would put out. ( no offense to Funimation fans I can't stand a dub from them because it's the same 10 people over and over again. At least Sentai's getting some new blood in them.)

Plus you don't have to listen to the dub, if you like the series but don't like the dub just buy it when it hits the bargain bin on rightstuff and switch audio tracks.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
My issue is that Sentai tends to have very poor quality control and would rather a more competent studio handle such a popular show.

Seif wrote:
Angel Beats, Guin Saga, and other Sentai dubs I've seen kinda suck.

And my issue is that I just do not agree with the recent criticisms saying that Seraphim Digital produces "bad dubs." And that I'm slowly starting to see such criticisms more and more to the point that I feel it's getting ridiculous.

I'd even go as far as to say that I believe that no recent US-produced English Dub is a "bad dub." Are some better than others? Sure. Does that make the lower quality ones bad? No.

Seif wrote:
But Foster is awful, especially lately. It doesn't matter how good your cast is if your director is a hack.

In addition, I don't believe Steven Foster is a bad director. Again, I've never seen these criticisms until recently, and I think it's gotten absurd. I've watched most of his recent dubs such as Needless and Angel Beats, and they came across as perfectly fine dubs to me. Angel Beats in particular I can say was extraordinary. Samurai Girls and Daimao were a bit weak at points, but overall were definitely acceptable. Nowhere near what I'd consider a "bad" dub.

Now before anyone says it, yes, I know this is all opinion-based.
I just feel that perhaps everyone's standards are becoming too high. But that, too, is just my opinion... and it's why discussions like this go nowhere.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
After hearing a few minutes of Sentai's Angel Beats dub I became extremely saddened that they are wasting their talents on crap like this.

Their Angel Beats' dub was amazing, its one of the few dubs that I like from Sentai.

Did anyone predict that Luci Christian would play Elsie... they over-use her so much. She's amazing; and my favorite english VA so I'm saying anything bad.

Luci's a great VA, but I always imagined Laura Bailey voicing Elsie.

Chris Patton as Keima...he's a great VA, too, but Keima's English voice will always be Brad Swaile to me. Why not mix it up for once? They did it before with Nurse Witch Komugi (Using both Vancouver and Texas VAs in the same dub)--what's to stop them from doing it again? Given the technology we've got (Internet recording, phone patches, etc.), the logistics can't be that bad!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd even go as far as to say that I believe that no recent US-produced English Dub is a "bad dub." Are some better than others? Sure. Does that make the lower quality ones bad? No.

Have you not heard all of Steven Foster's Guin Saga? Seriously taking such a wide stance you should familiarize yourself with what people are complaining about from the guy. The man is losing it and until he proves otherwise dubs with his name attached to the project will move down my To Buy list.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I've never found any problems with Sentai's dubs. I found them to be really well done for the most part, or at least the voice casting fit better then something Funimation would put out. ( no offense to Funimation fans I can't stand a dub from them because it's the same 10 people over and over again. At least Sentai's getting some new blood in them.)

Plus you don't have to listen to the dub, if you like the series but don't like the dub just buy it when it hits the bargain bin on rightstuff and switch audio tracks.

in funimations defense they have way more voices these days then they used so its not the same 10 people, but they obviously have there favorites. i mean todd haberkorn is basically the new vic Mignogna (in the sense that funi uses him in everything).
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
Meh...at the end of the day, all that matters to me is whether or not the dub fits with the type of show it's in; if not, then 'click...' japanese with subs as I originally saw it.

As for the cast, looks good to me. And Foster directing just means "to expect the unexpected" which is a plus in my book and something to look forward too.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
No, it's not been released yet, but that doesn't mean I can't form opinions from a point of reference. Angel Beats, Guin Saga, and other Sentai dubs I've seen kinda suck.

I have yet to watch the Angel Beats dub, but I agree with you on Guin Saga.

From the beginning, there were lip flap problems with Guin, but not having watched the sub, I was willing to admit it may have been a hopeless cause. There was no excuse, however, near the end for some instances of dialog that sounded like something one might find on an outtake track.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
English dubs produced by Sentai and Seraphim Digital are basically on the same level of quality as ADV Films' English productions were, take it as you will. I usually don't care as much which studio gets to do a show since there are many voice actors working in multiple areas. Gone are the days when a studio would basically pull from their own group of people. Seraphim Digital Studios records in Houston, and FUNimation Studios records in Dallas. Naturally, they share quite a few people since it's done in the same state (granted, a very large state, but still... the two studios are only about 4 hours apart). For me, as long as I can watch an anime in my speaking language, and the voice acting is good, I'm fine. I think every studio is capable of the same quality for every show. They just have to use it correctly. FUNimation's gotten a LITTLE better with using more voice actors. I've seen some new people on several recent cast lists (such as Newton Pittman as Gray in Fairy Tail). I'm still sick of Colleen Clinkenbeard and Todd Haberkorn in everything, but at least they're decent at what they do. Luci Christian is a top voice actor at both Seraphim Digital and FUNimation. So naturally, she gets a LOT of work. She's talented, but I'm sure both FUNi and Seraphim have some talented people that could use more work. Likewise, Sentai doesn't "market" their anime voice casts nearly as heavily as FUNimation, so their casts seem to be more based on "talent" rather than "who would work", and yes, there is a big difference. But when I watch anime, I try to think about the show, and only the show, and what's going on. Really, that's what we all watch anime for in the first place.

For the record, this does look like a good cast. I know quite a bit about voice actors, and it makes me happy to see a cast list with quite a few people I've never heard of/don't know much about (in this case, about half).
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Likewise, Sentai doesn't "market" their anime voice casts nearly as heavily as FUNimation, so their casts seem to be more based on "talent" rather than "who would work", and yes, there is a big difference.

Well, here in lies the problem then. It's the main reason why Funimation dubs have never been my favorite. When people jest about how they use the same ten people in everything it isn't a complete joke, if they'd spend less time pulling from their back pocket of favorites to assign to characters in series based on archtypes maybe I'd actually enjoy a dub from them whole heartedly instead of just "meh" like usual. Since Sentai does their dubs like ADV, for me personally it's always a nice surprise when they put out a dub (if only a nice break from funimations usual suspects) because I'd always enjoyed the old ADV dubs. And they're typically great with casting a spot on voice to go with a character, so I'd be happy to check out this dub since Patton to me seems like he'd do pretty decent as Keima.

As for funi, honestly they need to actually start doing more casting based on talent. Period. I guess I can't really do anything about their business practices, and if they want to keep throwing roles at guys like Haberkorn and Mignogna just because they like working them (whether their voices fit said characters be damned) that's their prerogative, but I don't have to like it. I mean seriously was I supposed to believe Vic Mignogna was the right guy to be voicing Yoshimori in Kekkaishi? Rolling Eyes yeah I don't think so.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
Well, at least the voice actors used by FUNimation have talent, and they usually "work" for their roles, but it would be nice to have some fresh variety once in a while. I think FUNi takes themselves a little too seriously sometimes.

But again, when I watch an anime, I just watch the show! The voice acting is something I think about away from watching the show! Wink
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
Funi had nothing to do with Vic being cast as the lead in kekkaishi, that's a Viz show all the way.

Personally I think Kekkaishi is one of the better dubs out there even though the show itself was a terrible fit for the AS crowd.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
So happy to hear that Chris Patton and Luci Christian will be voicing the two leads! They always sound great together, what an awesome duo. Anime catgrin

And here I thought Patton quit the biz after voicing Greed in the first half of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (he was replaced by Troy Baker in the 2nd, who seemed to make an effort to sound like Patton's Greed). But I guess he's back and working with Sentai!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5