• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces The World God Only Knows Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Dubs are not food, water, or shelter and are hardly worth being thankful for just because of their existence.

I know dubs are the not the same as those listed above. I am saying that we should still be thankful that some dubs are still being made.

ArsenicSteel wrote:

No business is entitled to my money. Yours maybe but not mine.

You are right, but a lot of people come up with some excuse as why they will not spend their money on something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Chris Patton as the lead?

Hmmm, I didn't care for TWGOK, but Patton is easily my favorite English voice actor. I'll check the dub out at least.

Even though I personally lost interest in the manga later on, the anime is still good and the fact that Christopher Patton is on the show, means it's likely to be exceptional.

Finally Sentai, this may be the first English dub you guys are doing that may not be as bad as let's say the last few.

But you know, I am just grateful that Sentai even picked this series up and dubbed it though. I figured that this show would probably never be licensed, but I am just glad it is. Going to honest here, would have preferred Funimation to license it, but oh well.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You are right, but a lot of people come up with some excuse as why they will not spend their money on something.

One man's excuse is another man's justification.
Quote:
I know dubs are the not the same as those listed above. I am saying that we should still be thankful that some dubs are still being made.

And I'm saying the mere existence of dubs is not enough to be thankful for because it implies they are some sort of necessity.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

And I'm saying the mere existence of dubs is not enough to be thankful for because it implies they are some sort of necessity.

No, but to those who are dub fans hardcore or otherwise it can be a necessity to determine if a show that got released gets purchased by them or not.

Being that I am a dub fan it is not a huge thing for me if a show does not have a dub or not, but it does help since I prefer to watch a show in English first if a dub is present.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

You've read these forums haven't you? A lot of fans think that dubs are a necessity.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
[quote="ArsenicSteel"

No, but to those who are dub fans hardcore or otherwise it can be a necessity to determine if a show that got released gets purchased by them or not.

Being that I am a dub fan it is not a huge thing for me if a show does not have a dub or not, but it does help since I prefer to watch a show in English first if a dub is present.[/quote]

Asimpson2006 makes some pretty great points. Although I am a dub fan, if I a show is great and fun to watch, it's worth watching. Heck I even bought Arakawa Under The Bridge and only had subtitles. Truthfully, I love Arakawa, but reading subtitles is not as easy as it was years ago because I don't have the best eyesight.

Even so, I bought Arakawa and while I much prefer to watch my anime dubbed, I will watch (and buy) a subtitle show if it is a great series. If a dub is available.

But what needs to be known, is with the harder core fans, not having a dub will mean no sale and while that is fine (after all it's their money and their money alone) it's very important to some. Same with subtitle only fans, although this isn't as common these days, I am sure those fans would not purchase a anime series if there no subtitles.

Asimpson2006 does bring up some pretty good points. Truthfully, I am just glad English dub's still exist in modern anime. Who knows how long that will remain the case though.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You say this but also commented about people coming up with excuses to not buy stuff.

Megiddo wrote:

A lot of fans think that dubs are a necessity.

No comment.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You say this but also commented about people coming up with excuses to not buy stuff.

Haven't people always been making up excuses on why not to buy something a very long time though?

Sometimes it can be justified and sometimes it can not.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
So happy to hear that Chris Patton and Luci Christian will be voicing the two leads! They always sound great together, what an awesome duo. Anime catgrin

And here I thought Patton quit the biz after voicing Greed in the first half of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (he was replaced by Troy Baker in the 2nd, who seemed to make an effort to sound like Patton's Greed). But I guess he's back and working with Sentai!

You should pay more attention to casting announcements. He's been in several Sentai dubs. He was even the lead in Demon King Daimao.

It shouldn't be too surprising. A few years ago when he stopped at Funimation the first time, he continued to work on several of the ADV/Sojitz shows.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Chris Patton as the lead?

Hmmm, I didn't care for TWGOK, but Patton is easily my favorite English voice actor. I'll check the dub out at least.

Even though I personally lost interest in the manga later on, the anime is still good and the fact that Christopher Patton is on the show, means it's likely to be exceptional.

Finally Sentai, this may be the first English dub you guys are doing that may not be as bad as let's say the last few.

But you know, I am just grateful that Sentai even picked this series up and dubbed it though. I figured that this show would probably never be licensed, but I am just glad it is. Going to honest here, would have preferred Funimation to license it, but oh well.

Exactly how many Sentai dubs have you watched? You have made comments in the past indicating you were not even familiar with the shows Sentai had dubbed. I'm just curious which shows have you watched since then that are causing you to judge them so harshly.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
So happy to hear that Chris Patton and Luci Christian will be voicing the two leads! They always sound great together, what an awesome duo. Anime catgrin

And here I thought Patton quit the biz after voicing Greed in the first half of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (he was replaced by Troy Baker in the 2nd, who seemed to make an effort to sound like Patton's Greed). But I guess he's back and working with Sentai!

If I remember correctly I think he stopped going to conventions. It is good to hear that he doing more dubs.

BalmungHHQ wrote:

I'd even go as far as to say that I believe that no recent US-produced English Dub is a "bad dub." Are some better than others? Sure. Does that make the lower quality ones bad? No.

I would say some of the dubs that MB has used for some of their shows (Ah My Buddha! Kanokon, and Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny) are not very good and borderline bad DD especially.

BalmungHHQ wrote:

In addition, I don't believe Steven Foster is a bad director.

I never heard the Angel Beats dub so I cannot say anything on that but I the High School or the Dead dub and the Clannad dub I though were good dubs.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

If I remember correctly I think he stopped going to conventions. It is good to hear that he doing more dubs.

He had originally planned to leave anime voice acting and focus on things audio books and video games. At that time, Sentai was only doing subtitled releases. I'm guessing since he lives in Houston he was contacted by Sentai about doing more work once they began dubbing again. He may simply no longer want to travel to Ft Worth, or there may have been other reasons why he no longer works at Funimation.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

He had originally planned to leave anime voice acting and focus on things audio books and video games. At that time, Sentai was only doing subtitled releases. I'm guessing since he lives in Houston he was contacted by Sentai about doing more work once they began dubbing again. He may simply no longer want to travel to Ft Worth, or there may have been other reasons why he no longer works at Funimation.

Well that may explain it. I knew he had retired from going to conventions but I was not aware that he planned to leave anime voice action. Good to know that he still in the business.
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
People still living in the 80s and early 90s listening to sub par crap. The times have changed... I haven't heard a shit dub in a very long time.

The only POSSIBLE issue I have noticed is some lip sync error with Sentai. What can you do when you literally went bankrupt and rose up from the ashes... Other than that they are still awesome acting and voices. People need to stop drinking the cool aid or using ipods cause their hearing is going.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Funi had nothing to do with Vic being cast as the lead in kekkaishi, that's a Viz show all the way.

Personally I think Kekkaishi is one of the better dubs out there even though the show itself was a terrible fit for the AS crowd.

touche, forgive my memory lapse. I wouldn't have called it a terrible dub, but honestly I could never separate Yoshimori the character talking on the screen from Vic using his same variation of his Vic voice that he uses for all his boisterous shounen hero characters Rolling Eyes Kind of killed if for me. Laura Bailey was decent as Tokine though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5