• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces The World God Only Knows Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Steven Foster is awesome.

The more Sentai dubs, the better.
Though, using more directors would be good, too. Janice Williams did great on Ghost Hound, and I'd love to hear her direct more dubs.

Ah.... are you nuts???

Don't get me wrong. I definitely agree with you that the more good series Sentai dubs,and with vetrans like Luci,and other VA from the old ADV days, the better for dub pursuits like myself.

HOWEVER, having MR hack job Steven Foster there is like suicide.

Especially the mess he did with Orphen,and he have a reputation of going soooo loose with the script with some series,that it's almost a rewrite. there are even some in the community that thought if he came from 4kids.

Hopefully, this wont turn out like Orphen,& the script is not altered, but with him under the helm, anything's possible. including the worse case senario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
^ The voice director has nothing to do with the script writing. Steven Foster is only responsible for directing the voice actors and assisting the voice casting. Sometimes the director is also involved in supervising technical aspects such as mixing. If voice acting turns out bad, you can definitely blame the director (look at some 4Kids dubs... they use some talented people, but horrible voice directors, and thus, their performances suffer). If you don't like the script, blame the writer, or the line producer for choosing the writer.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Why do people hate Steven Foster so much? It could be worse--4Kids could have gotten TWGOK.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Why do people hate Steven Foster so much? It could be worse--4Kids could have gotten TWGOK.

Weiss_Yohji has a point there. I much rather see Steven Foster (despite already liking his work) than 4kids licensing any anime that is pretty good. Even if I didn't like him, there is no way he could ruin the series as much as 4kids would.

Besides this series has Chirs Patton in it, so it's guaranteed to be interesting at the very least.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Excel Generations wrote:
People still living in the 80s and early 90s listening to sub par crap. The times have changed... I haven't heard a shit dub in a very long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmEESOXQJso <--"Sub par crap" not from the 80s or 90s but from 2011 and directed by Steven Foster.

Weiss_Yohji wrote:

That excuse is so 4 years ago and doesn't mean anything anymore since the only thing 4Kids cares about these days is Yu-Gi-Oh.
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Excel Generations wrote:
People still living in the 80s and early 90s listening to sub par crap. The times have changed... I haven't heard a shit dub in a very long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmEESOXQJso <--"Sub par crap" not from the 80s or 90s but from 2011 and directed by Steven Foster.

Weiss_Yohji wrote:

That excuse is so 4 years ago and doesn't mean anything anymore since the only thing 4Kids cares about these days is Yu-Gi-Oh.

Thanks for proving my point. That didn't sound like Voltron, Project A-ko, etc etc etc etc etc. It is not good but certainly not unwatchable. Pretty much going bankrupt and still releasing newer aged dubs that are good, (Blue Drop, Canaan, HotD, Ghost Hound, Demon King Daimao etc.) Not that bad of a track record if you ask me. Also looking forward to more dubs, (Princess Resurrection, Ef, Coicent, Five Numbers, World only God Knows and more).

Let me help you with newer aged bad dubs. You ever listen to Law of Ueki? Even that show has decent good female voice actresses. It is lacking with some of the male cast. But that's what happens when half your budget gets chopped and you work with what you have. How about Labyrinth of Flames? Those shows actually have people like you and I voicing them.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Steven Foster is awesome.

The more Sentai dubs, the better.
Though, using more directors would be good, too. Janice Williams did great on Ghost Hound, and I'd love to hear her direct more dubs.

Ah.... are you nuts???

Don't get me wrong. I definitely agree with you that the more good series Sentai dubs,and with vetrans like Luci,and other VA from the old ADV days, the better for dub pursuits like myself.

HOWEVER, having MR hack job Steven Foster there is like suicide.

Especially the mess he did with Orphen,and he have a reputation of going soooo loose with the script with some series,that it's almost a rewrite. there are even some in the community that thought if he came from 4kids.

Hopefully, this wont turn out like Orphen,& the script is not altered, but with him under the helm, anything's possible. including the worse case senario.

You do realize Orphen was dubbed over a decade ago and TBS and ADV were shopping it around to cable networks at the time? Anyway, the script became more faithful towards the end of season 1 and season 2. I think it's time to let things go.

In the meantime, he's directed dozens of shows including many that members here thought had great dubs, like Le Chevalier Deon. I think I'm more willing to judge him by a recent show than something that is 11-12 years old at this point.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ The voice director has nothing to do with the script writing. Steven Foster is only responsible for directing the voice actors and assisting the voice casting. Sometimes the director is also involved in supervising technical aspects such as mixing. If voice acting turns out bad, you can definitely blame the director (look at some 4Kids dubs... they use some talented people, but horrible voice directors, and thus, their performances suffer). If you don't like the script, blame the writer, or the line producer for choosing the writer.

I would like to remind you that we are talking about Foster here and not the general job of ADR(lol director). Foster is also credited as a writer on the projects he ADRs.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I would like to remind you that we are talking about Foster here and not the general job of ADR(lol director). Foster is also credited as a writer on the projects he ADRs.

Only on some of his shows. There are several where others are credited with the script, or where he was only one of two or three working on the script.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Only some? Try most. There's only about 7 out of 60 shows he ADR'd for did credit him for some script work.
I never implied he was the only writer only that he frequently credited as a writer and that the writer is the person PurpleWarrior says is supposed to be blamed for the script.
charlesdavid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
It is a general fact that every journalist out there try's to find the most relevant world news. But it certainly is hard to find one. It involves a number of factors. From media sources to the event and from asking questions to taking answers, everything has to be on time and properly planned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5