• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Bandai Entertainment Respond on Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero328

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Quote:
what right have they to stop people who aren't paid but are doing better jobs than they are?

You don't like dubs so the entire industry is crap and fansubbers are all extreme pros that 1-up every company in the business. Rolling Eyes Right. I watch fansubs, and some are good, but you probably wouldn't know either way because you just hate the companies for dubs.

Quote:
Another thing about TV boardcasts that came to mind when I read the 9 pages preceeding this post, why are you americans importing foreign stuff when you can't fully accept their culture?! If you say you fully accept their culture, why are you censoring things and cutting out episodes?!

Censoring and cutting out episodes? You say you don't live in America but are you still talking about anime licensed and released here? If so, you're about 10 years too late and severely misinformed.

Like I said, if you say I'm bias, I probably am, after all, I'm just a consumer who chooses what pleases me. As for the censoring and cutting out episodes, do I have to go through the 9 pages again just to find that quote? Are you telling me they don't do that in america and even in games like megaman where they censored out blood and stuff is just my imagination? That brings up another point, where was the need to change names for titles like rockman that made perfect sense to begin with? They completely ripped out the reference to the music culture for that one. Is there any justification to such actions? And more than anything, these are really questions and, IMO, points of interest that I didn't see in the preceeding 9 pages
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Problem is that you're trying to choose for everyone what pleases you. You're not the consumer god and a lack of diversity and variety doesn't make for a profitable or even beneficial industry.

As for censoring, sure it happens here. Videogames are irrelevant though as this is about anime, two completely different industries. However, censorship in both fields is rarely an issue anymore. It was at one time, but these days most things make it here pretty much untouched. If it airs on television that may not be the case, but the releases that can be purchased are still usually untouched. Sure there's still some instances where it occurs, but those are the exception to the norm these days.

Quote:
what right have they to stop people who aren't paid but are doing better jobs than they are?

Because those people not getting paid means that they also do not get paid. Anime doesn't create itself out of thin air. When the licensor gets paid then the anime studio gets paid. When no one gets paid then the anime studio doesn't either. I imagine you wouldn't like it if you went to work and found out that you either no longer had a job or had to take a pay cut just because some people found a way to take your hard work for themselves without compensating for your time. Who says they are doing a better job anyways? I've seen plenty of instances where that is obviously not the case, not to mention they are ignoring an entire market with their releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is cutting into the profits of the North American anime industry IMHO.
Granted, we all as anime fans share some of the blame if we are going to a site like this and downloading anime fansubs of shows that are available here in North America instead of supporting the industry and purchasing DVDs or what have you from our domestic companies.

It is my opinion that the online fansub phenomena is partially to blame for the current state of the industry.
In all fairness to the fansubers, if an anime is not likely to ever make it to North American shores (like Macross Frontier for example) then perhaps some kind of online liscencing agreement could be reached with the fansuber websites and the Japanese anime industry.

I know there are many obstacles to that on both sides of the argument but I cannot see any other way this will end. Unless the fansubbing kills the anime industry but none of us want that.

Last edited by Kabuto Tokugawa on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Zero328 wrote:
Like I said, if you say I'm bias, I probably am, after all, I'm just a consumer who chooses what pleases me. As for the censoring and cutting out episodes, do I have to go through the 9 pages again just to find that quote? Are you telling me they don't do that in america and even in games like megaman where they censored out blood and stuff is just my imagination? That brings up another point, where was the need to change names for titles like rockman that made perfect sense to begin with? They completely ripped out the reference to the music culture for that one. Is there any justification to such actions? And more than anything, these are really questions and, IMO, points of interest that I didn't see in the preceeding 9 pages

You are several years too late when you talk about censorship unless you're talking about anime aired on TV, and even then it is very minimal. There's only one case I know of recently with entire episodes being cut out which you may or may not know about: 4Kids editing ofOne Piece where they tried to turn it into a kid's show, but that did not turn out very well and in the end they dropped the show and it was later picked up by Funimation.

As for ripping out cultural references, companies only feel the need to do such a thing if they don't think it translate well at all, or if they are trying to make it accessible to the mainstream non anime fan that may know little if any of Japanese pop culture. This will only ever occur in a show's dub, but there is always the option of watching a show subtitled on the dvd, which nowadays retain their original Japanese meaning. You can't hate on companies just because you don't like the dub.

Why change Rockman to Megaman? Maybe they didn't want people to think that he's a superhero made of rock, which he certainly is not. The editing of blood in the game you're talking about I assume was because they were aiming for a E(everyone) rating, which like I said would also make it accessible to a much larger audience. There's also plenty of violent games here in America that become edited or simply banned in other countries.

So in the end censorship is not that big of an issue as it used to be here in the US, and it is nonexistent in most dvd releases of anime. The real issue in this thread are websites like CR that offer illegal content as their main selling point.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That brings up another point, where was the need to change names for titles like rockman that made perfect sense to begin with?

This name changed happened OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO. I doubt there are many people that will defend the stuff America was doing to these japanese creations twenty or thirty years ago, but the companies of the 80's and today are complete opposites.
Zero328

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
interestingly enough, you say the animating studio get paid when we buy stuff. Remember this, we are buying imports, the animating studio you speak of is in japan, where they are paid regardless of whether the american versions are sold or not. I've already mentioned in the first post, japanese people don't need the english stuff, so fansubs have absolutely no impact on their end of the anime market. You say about how you work hard only to find it was for nought as people found ways to get it for free, but here is a hard fact, fansubs come long before official releases, shouldn't the people releasing the official stuff work hard to ensure that their quality makes the product worth buying rather than downloading what already exists? if people still prefer fansubs even though the official release had every chance to ensure theirs were better than fansubs, then who have the companies to blame? Also, like I said, anime is limited where I live, and fansubs are one of the only sources I can get to see some stuff. If you want an example, in south africa around 5 years ago, the only anime ever shown were pokemon and digimon, and dbz just started airing.

PS - Since I haven't seem to have made myself clear, all the points I've made are my opinions, i do not force it on anyone specific. (if fansub groups surviving on donations isn't a strong enough proof that there are mny people supporting them, then tell me)

PS2 - I already clearly directed the censoring statement at shows shown on tv in my first, read it all next time vortextk, I took the time to read all 9 pages of this debate, the least respect you can give me is read my single post thoroughly (although i have and will admit again that the structure and grammar is really bad)

===============================

EDIT (in response to the 2 posts above)

I'm only trying to get answers about the megaman bit, happening 20 years ago means that it still happened, the fact that someone (in this case myself) cares 20 years after it was initially done only means that it ticked someone off (honestly tell me "MEGAMERGE!" does not sound cheesy as opposed to "Rock On!"). Again about the censorship, please just read what I post carefully and thoroughly, I know its not an easy task... Although I don't watch OnePiece myself, how it isn't a kids' show to start off with puzzles me...
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Aha. So I misread your post? The part where you mistakingly say much of the anime shown on TV is censored? Besides that there isn't much anime on tv, almost nothing is censored(or just barely censored). If we're talking about your own country, then disregard my words because they are for american television only.

*Fansubs don't affect Japan?
*American anime dvds sales also don't affect Japan?
*Purely American companies at fault for not airing shows 2 days after having aired in Japan to compete with fansubs?

Yeah, ok. There's no point to discuss or argue here. First you need to know the facts which are an essential foundation.

I could careless about your fansub habits, I watch them too. Especially if you can not get anything locally without paying extreme amounts for imports, I sympathize.
Zero328

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
If the japanese cared, would they not act? why is it then, that only 2 american companies are moaning about CR? Why is it that the Funimation was denied the right to a anime streaming website and yet CR goes on untouched by japanese legislation? If the japanese were to act, could they not easily stop the distribution of the RAWs in the first place? would that not completely halt the fansubbing and illegal streaming altogether? Do you really think it affects them enough to care, even though they don't seem to be doing anything about it? I will admit that the legal actions involved in the importing takes up the time in between, but like I said, with the amount of preceeding (illegal) material, they have every reason and responsibility to make their version so much more better, so that people will buy their's instead of downloading fansubs. Their striking at fansubbers and streaming sites seem to me as though they are admitting that it is a threat, and the only obvious reason i can think of why fansubs is a threat to the official business is because the quailty of the official work does not match the expectation of buyers and hence the room for improvement.

PS - if you say i'm years out on the censoring issue, then i might as well shut up about it since I admit that i haven't watched anime on tv for ages because i can't get to it and i can't afford to buy dvds and whatever. but never the less, it was something that did happen and therefore a valid point even if it is old
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote
Zero328 wrote:
interestingly enough, you say the animating studio get paid when we buy stuff. Remember this, we are buying imports, the animating studio you speak of is in japan, where they are paid regardless of whether the american versions are sold or not. I've already mentioned in the first post, japanese people don't need the english stuff, so fansubs have absolutely no impact on their end of the anime market.

One of the columnists in a recent Newtype mentioned having spoken to someone from an [unnnamed] Japanese studio who reckoned 50% of their revenue came from foreign sales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Zero328 wrote:
If the japanese were to act, could they not easily stop the distribution of the RAWs in the first place? would that not completely halt the fansubbing and illegal streaming altogether?

Speaking as a very experienced fansubber, the digital fansubbing community is resourceful enough and there is a big enough presence in Japan (which is only growing) that stopping Japanese p2p traffic (which is impossible, mind you) will not do much to stop fansubbing.

Going back to the days before WinMX, Winny, Share, etc., the majority of the digital raws all came from Koreans anyway.

-Tofu
anime2film

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I take it this means we're on Funimation's side.

I agree, they shouldn't charge. But American Anime is so expensive. $20 for 1 dvd with 3 episodes on it is outrageous. You can fit much more than that on a standard DL DVD, which is what the industry uses. I used to be able to buy legit dubs for $40/series from a local shop until their rent went up and they shut down. If they want to make more money, make the product less expensive for what you get. Then more people wouldn't download it or rip it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Why do you specify "American Anime is so expensive" when anime is probably cheaper in America than in any other country? You get more value for monyer there than we do in the UK and a heck of a lot more than the Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Going back to the days before WinMX, Winny, Share, etc., the majority of the digital raws all came from Koreans anyway.
-Tofu

Thank you for pointing that out.I wasn't going to say any thing about that subject.I've been letting it ride for a while.The other posters on this board seem to think otherwise about where raws come from and how to cut it off,but then,It's fun to watch them argue about politics and made up stats and run around in circles isn't it.It's been like this for many years.

I learned a lot from a group of Bulgarians that were heavily into the Fansub scene too.Where they obtained their raws has been said.

-Hienburg
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
anime2film wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
I take it this means we're on Funimation's side.

I agree, they shouldn't charge. But American Anime is so expensive. $20 for 1 dvd with 3 episodes on it is outrageous. You can fit much more than that on a standard DL DVD, which is what the industry uses. I used to be able to buy legit dubs for $40/series from a local shop until their rent went up and they shut down. If they want to make more money, make the product less expensive for what you get. Then more people wouldn't download it or rip it.

I'm not getting where this whole "Anime is so outrageously expensive, therefore I am entitled to pirate it" thing is coming from.
I just did a quick search online, and, yes, there are some DVDs that are a bit pricey, but I'm also finding some DVDs that are under $10. Hell, I found the individual Nadia: Secret of Blue Water DVDs for $2.99 You can also buy full series thinpacks for under $50. This isn't even factoring in that a lot of sites that sell anime have either a membership discount, or frequently will have sales taking off 30-45% off their DVDs.
But maybe this is because when I first started watching anime, I saw VHS tapes, with only two episodes, that came either only dubbed or subbed, with no extras, no reversible cover art, no perks at all, that went for about $45.00 a pop. Hell, my boyfriend was just telling me about his Tenchi Muyo laserdisks that had one episode each, that ran him about $60 a disk.
At any rate, I will watch the odd fansub, but for the price that I'm getting some of my DVDs for, I would much rather have the DVD that I can add to my collection than a fansub anyday.
RMC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about this, to be truthful.

On the one hand, I loathe CrunchyRoll. They deserve to be prosecuted, thrown in jail, and have the key tossed into a deep ravine. What they've done over the last few years is immoral and illegal. So in that sense, I'm very happy to see Funimation and Bandai respond the way they did. Good on them.

On the other hand, there's this tiny part of me that keeps wondering about CR going legit. Is it likely? No. The odds are they'll squander their capital and end up in legal trouble with Gonzo (which makes me wonder if Gonzo is "setting them up", knowing they'll fail, in order to bring them down legally later. Who knows). But on the miraculous chance they do go legit, it opens the door for licensed anime eventually coming over here and the end of the fansubbing industry (sorry fansub lovers, I'm always gonna be against fansubbing even if it is the lesser of two evils and it's done lots of good for introducing Anime into U.S. culture).

Though I guess even if the Gonzo/CR deal fails, there's a chance that it may wind up good anyway - as long as this is the direction the rest of them head. They just need to find more legitimate groups to send their Anime to. Not CrunchyRoll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11