• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Witch Hunter Robin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:53 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Hey, live action versions are not always cheap copies and most are foreign made, I've a yahoo group (search for it yourself) cataloging these ventures and from what I can see, these are some dang good sounding/looking adaptations.

Cutie honey, devil man briliant looking for starters.

I think I'm part of that group. I'm talking mostly about the american ventures. Live action Eva is a bad joke, "let's condense a thirteen hour psycological series into a two hour mecha fest". If they pull it off, I'll be amazed. They still making that Lupin film? Yeah, the GTO LA is great, probably better than the anime due to the pacing differences. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was better than the manga. The manga's fantastic. Cutey Honey's being directed by Anno so it should be ok. But what's the point in these. Some guys who probably caught Robin on CN thought they can recreate the X-Files(a sad show to emulate) or something. Its not even that great a show to begin with. Its over-hyped, over-rated, and slower than molasses with Dojima about the only amusing character. Why spend so much on remaking something, when you can create something new. Animation has a way with streaching belief. I hated the Ring because the premise sucked in LA. If I were to read the manga(did that come before or after?), I might be able to believe it. Thats why I love animation, anythings possible. Watch your favorite anime and see if you could take it seriously if it wasn't animated. Remember G-Savoir? There are things you can get away with in anime that you can't in LA and you don't need high amounts of cg to pull it off(tell that to Gonzo but thats a diofferent thread Anime smile). If I want Robin cosplayers, I'll take pictures of them at a con.

In a nutshell, write something new, stop ripping off old ideas. Its one thing to adapt a book but turn an anime into another form of moving entertain is just a lazy lack of inspiration, be it good or bad. There's twenty six episodes too many of WHR already, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:10 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I think I'm part of that group. I'm talking mostly about the american ventures. Live action Eva is a bad joke, "let's condense a thirteen hour psycological series into a two hour mecha fest". If they pull it off, I'll be amazed. They still making that Lupin film? Yeah, the GTO LA is great, probably better than the anime due to the pacing differences. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was better than the manga. The manga's fantastic. Cutey Honey's being directed by Anno so it should be ok. But what's the point in these. Some guys who probably caught Robin on CN thought they can recreate the X-Files(a sad show to emulate) or something. Its not even that great a show to begin with. Its over-hyped, over-rated, and slower than molasses with Dojima about the only amusing character. Why spend so much on remaking something, when you can create something new. Animation has a way with streaching belief. I hated the Ring because the premise sucked in LA. If I were to read the manga(did that come before or after?), I might be able to believe it. Thats why I love animation, anythings possible. Watch your favorite anime and see if you could take it seriously if it wasn't animated. Remember G-Savoir? There are things you can get away with in anime that you can't in LA and you don't need high amounts of cg to pull it off(tell that to Gonzo but thats a diofferent thread Anime smile). If I want Robin cosplayers, I'll take pictures of them at a con.

In a nutshell, write something new, stop ripping off old ideas. Its one thing to adapt a book but turn an anime into another form of moving entertain is just a lazy lack of inspiration, be it good or bad. There's twenty six episodes too many of WHR already, anyway.

The Ring was originally a novel, which was then turned into a movie, which was then turned into several movies and a tv series, which at some point around the other movies and tv series was turned into a manga, thus making your fave incarnation of it, the manga, unoriginal.

A story doesn't need to have lively, and funny characters to make a story great. WHR isn't a comedy. Doujima is just in there while Robin and crew go about with their supernatrual version of Law and Order, which by the way never really has very funny or lively people as well, yet somehow managed to become a giant hit. Robin wasn't your cup of tea, and neither aparently was X-Files, but that doesn't make it any less worthy of fandom and reincarnations. I love Witch Hunter Robin, and can't wait to see what will be done with it in the live action version. The ending dissapointed me quite a bit, but mainly because I was too hooked to the show to see it suddenly end. If people didn't go back and try to improve already created things, we would never advance anywhere. Sure, it's kind of a weak argument for this thread, but it's true. For all we know the live action version can become better then the anime version, and these types of things truely do happen. Already I can tell you honestly I'm enjoying the liveaction Sailor Moon show more so then the anime.

WHR can be done IRL without much special effects. The little show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer deals with pretty much the same thing WHR will be working with, if not more, and it went on for about 8 years.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:27 am Reply with quote
I have no favorite rendition of the Ring. I watched "Ringu" and couldn't see what was so scary about it and couldn't take the premise seriously. I meant that it might make more sense in a format other than live. The part on special effects again is a statement that everything can blend better to support an illusion in animation. I don't care that WHR wasn't a comedy. I love dramas as well. That wasn't my problem. I can watch something paced like it if I find it interesting. I've seen the first half of the series and don't really connect to any of the characters and only one episode was remotely interesting. The rest were merely monster of the week stories. If only the first few episodes were like that fine, but we're talking the first 11. If that happens, who cares what they do, I'm not going to stick around until it gets good. Hype is a bad thing, and I'm tired of being told that I'm a fool because I didn't like this show. That it belongs on my shelf and that if I'm not foaming at the mouth in anticipation for the next volume, I'm obviously not a real anime fan. I'm getting that about Last Exile as well, and its extremely annoying. This is one of, maybe, 5 anime I didn't like of the hundreds I've seen. Sad thing is, I is my cup of tea, but the execution was sloppy. I love plenty of great shows, but I don't rag on someone for hating Gunbuster or the like. You connected to WHR, that's great. The live action version may have better characterizations, and if it does, I'll watch(though since the few live shows I ever watch on TV get cancled, I barely watch ABC, NBC, or CBS). In the X-Files case, Chris Carter was a jerk in his interviews, the whole show could be condensed to just the conspiracy episodes and still make sense, and when said conspiracy was blown open, it has to stand as one of the lamest disappointments in cinama history. The characters were ok, but other than that I'm not into the crap it preached. My X-phile dad rubbing the show in my face didn't help matters.

If I'm coming off as a jerk in this thread, I'm sorry, its not my intention. Its just the way my typing comes out late at night. I don't really check my composition. I have no problem with the fandom of a title, but WHR needed some script editing. If you like the show, more power to you, but I can't see what makes it so great. I don't mean to ridicule anyone, but theres no need for a live version, and I'd say that even if I loved it so much, it was all I owned. It already exists as a series, adapt it to a novel or something. I'm tired of being the bad guy because my views aren't in line with what's cool or popular. I've been coming to this site for a lot longer than I've been on the forums, and don't need to villainize myself on the first post. I'd just rather see something new than yet another take on something else unless there's reason for more. I'll check out the la Sailor Moon thing for the fun of it.

One thing, Lucas went back and "improved" his trilogy, some things shouldn't be improved Anime smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:23 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I have no problem with the fandom of a title, but WHR needed some script editing. If you like the show, more power to you, but I can't see what makes it so great. I don't mean to ridicule anyone, but theres no need for a live version, and I'd say that even if I loved it so much, it was all I owned. It already exists as a series, adapt it to a novel or something.

The script problems which I also noticed, and most fans, are one of the reason most people are so hyped up about the creation with the liveaction series. WHR had a ton of potential, but it didn't really go anywhere with it. And if they were to be making it into a book instead of a liveaction show, I'd be just as happy, it just isn't though.

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
One thing, Lucas went back and "improved" his trilogy, some things shouldn't be improved Anime smile.

Totally, completely agree with you there. And yeah, give the Sailormoon Live action a chance. It's a bucket of laughs an ep, and around ep 13 the majority of the stupid eps stop and the story starts rolling.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
WITCHHUNTER ROBIN: Based on a Japanese anime, this series follows a group of trained cops that seek to capture witches.

Heh, as opposed to what, "untrained cops"?

Like many others, I am stoked for this series. If done right, it has the potential to be awesome. If not... well, there's at least a hundred other channels on my digital cable.

------RM
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:15 am Reply with quote
Ah to hell with the concerns of translating some animated to live action.. I'm buying the rights to do a "SEALAB 2021" live action series Surprised
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote
eek. double post. Anime cry

Last edited by Shiki MSHTS on Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:39 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Well... the anime had some. Sure it wasn't everywhere, but lessee here... the girl slept in the NUDE,

Not all nudity is fanservice. Sometimes there's simply nudity without any real exploitative intent...Witch Hunter Robin & Ayashi no Ceres are two examples that come to mind.

It should also be noted that you never really see anything of Robin's, as well. If it were fanservice, either something would be visible or her figure would have been accentuated in the sheets.

Well the nude sleeping is definently unneeded or unessential to the story. =/

I'm sure it serves some alternate purpose to people *cough cough*.

Well anyway, I don't really have anything at all to compare it to. I guess the first thing that flashes to mind when something like this is brought up is Street Fighter: The Movie, and sheesh, I never saw it. Just heard stuff about it. And sheesh, do I wanna see that movie, just to see how bad it ended up.

How old was Robin again? They'll either start with the pedophilia, or they'll make her 21.

I'm serious. Goth fetishes will be mainstream after this movie. =P.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:13 am Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Well the nude sleeping is definently unneeded or unessential to the story. =/

I'm sure it serves some alternate purpose to people *cough cough*.

If I was supposed to be aroused by that, then mission failed. It wasn't exploitative as fanservice is meant to be, and it just fit the atmosphere better than the alternatives. It'd look awkward to see Robin crawl out of bed in floppy flannel pajamas, a long t-shirt, or some sexy nightie getup, I'd say.

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Well anyway, I don't really have anything at all to compare it to. I guess the first thing that flashes to mind when something like this is brought up is Street Fighter: The Movie, and sheesh, I never saw it. Just heard stuff about it. And sheesh, do I wanna see that movie, just to see how bad it ended up.

Street Fighter is one of the worst movies of all time, period. Don't compare it to that. I'd say look more at shows like Millennium, X-Files, & the like.

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
How old was Robin again? They'll either start with the pedophilia, or they'll make her 21.

Fifteen, I believe. They mention it in the first episode.

Why would her being a teenager immediately "start with the pedophilia?" Robin's sex life was never really touched on in the anime, so what indication do we have that it'll be shown here?

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
I'm serious. Goth fetishes will be mainstream after this movie. =P .

TV show. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be big enough to set trends, running on a low-rated basic cable network, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:22 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

Street Fighter is one of the worst movies of all time, period. Don't compare it to that. I'd say look more at shows like Millennium, X-Files, & the like.

Hehe. About Street Fighter, I still wanna see it, just to see how bad it was. I'm just like that ^^;.

Jean Claude Van Damme is a horrible actor in my opinion. =P

And I'm not saying that the movie will definently be like that. But I'm saying that the potential for the series to be bastardized to that level is definently there. Don't forget, this is gonna come from an american aspect, eh? Never saw The Ring (Not into the horror genre or anything), but I have heard reports of definite bastardization.

I think the little synapsis of the movie earlier was already a bit corrupt and screwed. Is it really a secret that Robin is a Witch? =P. (Of course, I may be wrong, only having seen an episode here and there)

Definitely expect at least a few name changes or so though. A girl named Robin hanging in goth town with a bunch of white people with japanese names will not go well in the reviews. =P.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Don't forget, this is gonna come from an american aspect, eh?

Oh goody, this excuse again...I'm getting really fed up with everyone's "is americun, is r bad" mentality...

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Never saw The Ring (Not into the horror genre or anything), but I have heard reports of definite bastardization.

Never believe bastardisation claims until you've seen it yourself. Nine times out of ten, those claims come from elitist pricks that call a single word in the original script being altered a "horrible butchery."

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
I think the little synapsis of the movie earlier was already a bit corrupt and screwed. Is it really a secret that Robin is a Witch? =P. (Of course, I may be wrong, only having seen an episode here and there)

I think you mean "synopsis" and "TV show."

As for whether or not Robin's being a witch is secret, spoiler[the STN-J certainly seem surprised when they find out more than halfway into the series. If I recall correctly, the organisation tends to differentiate "witches" and "Craft users."] If they're remaining true to the original series, they just gave away a spoiler, I'd say.

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Definitely expect at least a few name changes or so though. A girl named Robin hanging in goth town with a bunch of white people with japanese names will not go well in the reviews. =P.

What's so bad about name changes? Especially here? Witch Hunter Robin, as I've said before, doesn't exactly have a very distinct "Japanese" feel to it at all. With a few name changes (and not even everyone, Robin, Amon, & Michael's names could stay intact), the show could fit perfectly in New York, London, Moscow, Paris, or Los Angeles.

Name changes are purely cosmetic, and anyone who's seen the anime could easily pick out "the Dojima character" or "the Sakaki character."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Oh goody, this excuse again...I'm getting really fed up with everyone's "is americun, is r bad" mentality...

That's not exactly what I mean. Acctually, more of my lovely nostalgic memories lie with American creations and cartoons than Japanese. It's just that, when we attempt to recreate something japanese, especially as a movie, a large number of the times, we fail very badly. I'm not saying america is all talentless hacks, but we definently are relying too much on Japan for our ideas. I love our country, and I love many of our cartoons and creations with pride, but the whole thing of taking other peoples ideas and screwing with them to make it our own, then steal all the credit, is just, bad.

Edit: Basically what I mean is, getting all our entertainment from Japan, and screwing it to become what the mass media wants, is bad. Diluting a series to our own tastes just screws it all up in the long run.

I can already see right now, that there are flaws to my logic, but I'm tired at the moment, and I don't feel like correcting them. Why? Cause I'm lazy. Don't take me so seriously.

=/

Right. And about the street fighter movie, I could still be proven wrong if i see it. I mean, I still would give it a chance and see it. I don't believe that you should not watch something because someone says it's bad. I just believe if someone says it's bad, then it gives you new perspective and motive when you watch it. =P

Blah. Don't hate me.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Right. And about the street fighter movie, I could still be proven wrong if i see it. I mean, I still would give it a chance and see it. I don't believe that you should not watch something because someone says it's bad. I just believe if someone says it's bad, then it gives you new perspective and motive when you watch it. =P

I never said not to see it. Actually, I never said anything about it at all beyond my own opinion of it (and that Witch Hunter shouldn't be compared to it on the basis of apples & oranges).

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Blah. Don't hate me.

No need, nothing you said was out of spite or anything like that.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:26 am Reply with quote
I, for one, don't see what all the fuss is about. I would say most all of the fans of the anime would be looking forward to a live-action rendition of WHR. All we are talking about here is adopting the theme and I really don't want to see a show-for-show duplicate of the anime. That would be a moot series.

I look forward to it with a cautious optimism.
lewish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Argh, I hate live action things>: ( Tough, the movie version of Gunm looks promising, at least...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4