• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Way to go, ADV!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I’ve been saying for years that the best way for anime companies to deal with the fansub issue is a “simultaneous release.”

And if that was logistically possible, I'm sure it would happen more often. I think the reason it's happening now is because ADV is co-sponsoring it. Personally, I think Media Blasters was more ahead of the game with their sample anime dvd's. ADV only started with that after NewType, and CPM just started now.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quote
This is great. Now if only they can somehow put these types of releases on a channel I can get! *Can't afford dvds really*

I'm guessing since they're producing the new MagGarden anime, that the Tactics anime will recieve a similar release. Cool More power to ADV!
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
I’ve been saying for years that the best way for anime companies to deal with the fansub issue is a “simultaneous release.”

And if that was logistically possible, I'm sure it would happen more often. I think the reason it's happening now is because ADV is co-sponsoring it. Personally, I think Media Blasters was more ahead of the game with their sample anime dvd's. ADV only started with that after NewType, and CPM just started now.

I must agree with you on this. The only real issue I have with this all is that (I know many don't do this) that I am a try before you buy kind of person. Fansubs have allowed me to do this and ADV has garnered a lot of money from be because of this. I'm really not the type to go and watch stuff and not buy it later. To be honest, I'd love to see what the initial sales figures look like. I suspect they will not have the big boom that other series do get when having first been popularized by fansubs. While I do think it's a brilliant move on ADV's part, I suspect that it will take much more than this to keep the ball rolling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:21 am Reply with quote
This is the perfect test to see if fansubs have a positive effect. If the sales really do stink, despite being a fair show, then we know. If they sell like hotcakes regardless, we will know too.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
I agree with the viewing before you buy option, which is why I said I wished they'd show it on a channel or something that I can get to. I still can't get the anime network, even if it is rumored to be in my area, and I have heard of the series before, but I won't go out and buy the first dvd to try it.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:42 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
This is the perfect test to see if fansubs have a positive effect. If the sales really do stink, despite being a fair show, then we know. If they sell like hotcakes regardless, we will know too.

You think that ADV will give us an honest accounting, especially a comparitve one involving other franchises they've liscensed that were popular because of fansubs? They have yet to release any actual numbers publically (that I've seen anyway) with regard to Nuku Nuku T.V. They cited it as an example of how fansubbing hurt the industry, but where are the hard numbers to back it up?

As much as I'm hoping that something will come of this, I'm a little doubtful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:04 am Reply with quote
Im gonna be real here, for a second. So ADV got a simultaneous release on a anime I for one will probably never feel like checking out let alone watch. Now I get to go spend $26 on a DVD..oh wait I cant afford that right now because im trying to save up for the 'value' boxset of someother series while its still $59.99. See what you don't relize is this isnt that great news your portraying it to be. We'll probably never see hit/popular/big name series released here at the same time as in Japan. Already stating a bigger reason then trying to drive off fansubbers, the fact the Japanese with turn around and buy American made DVD's. Lastly, unlike the Japanese, American fans dont get to see TV series aired for only the cost of cable, our only source is fansubbing which is the same expense (cost of monthly internet fees). I think it would be great if everything could work out perfectly but it can't and won't otherwise human society would cease to work. How 'bout instead of simal. DVD releases we get simal. air time on television (like that'll ever happen). Personally I see nothing wrong with the way things are now. Japan produces anime, anime is aired/sold, fansubber subs it for US audience, US company license anime, US company sells anime. There will always be "bad seeds" in ever art form and theres nothing that can be done about it, but it shouldn't ruin things for everyone else.

(Note: I know some shows are pay-per-view, and tha artical was talking about an OAV...I talking in 'general')
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:28 am Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:
Im gonna be real here, for a second. So ADV got a simultaneous release on a anime I for one will probably never feel like checking out let alone watch. Now I get to go spend $26 on a DVD..oh wait I can't afford that right now because im trying to save up for the 'value' boxset of someother series while its still $59.99. See what you don't relize is this isnt that great news your portraying it to be. We'll probably never see hit/popular/big name series released here at the same time as in Japan. Already stating a bigger reason then trying to drive off fansubbers, the fact the Japanese with turn around and buy American made DVD's. Lastly, unlike the Japanese, American fans don't get to see TV series aired for only the cost of cable, our only source is fansubbing which is the same expense (cost of monthly internet fees). I think it would be great if everything could work out perfectly but it can't and won't otherwise human society would cease to work. How 'bout instead of simal. DVD releases we get simal. air time on television (like that'll ever happen). Personally I see nothing wrong with the way things are now. Japan produces anime, anime is aired/sold, fansubber subs it for US audience, US company license anime, US company sells anime. There will always be "bad seeds" in ever art form and theres nothing that can be done about it, but it shouldn't ruin things for everyone else.

(Note: I know some shows are pay-per-view, and the artical was talking about an OAV...I talking in 'general')

Yeah, but the problem with that is that we're watching the fansubs for free, which means that the people who produced the show get nada from us, our viewer ratings are unofficial, and all that good stuff. This is really why ADV needs to make their anime channel avalible to more viewers, especially if they plan on making more releases like this, or some of the fansubbers out there who don't have morals will use it as an excuse. But then again, those wouldn't really be fansubbers subbing it, and more likely dvd rippers.

Only people who have money to blow will buy a dvd of an anime they have never seen, and I don't have money to blow. Maybe ADV will stream the first episode or two on the internet or something. Didn't they do that with another anime not to long ago?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is really why ADV needs to make their anime channel avalible to more viewers,

Do you honestly think that they're keeping it back on purpose? It takes time to cut deals with all of the different cable companies out there, and not all of them are equipped with "on-demand" style VOD yet, which is required for Anime Network
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Yeah, but the problem with that is that we're watching the fansubs for free, which means that the people who produced the show get nada from us

Thats why you buy it when you can afford it. I really don't think anime would survive in the US without free fansub service. There just way to many animes produced and being produced to be able to keep up with by buying a DVD when its released. Basicly if you get rid of fansubbing whats left? Television? where like 1 out of every 25 shows aired in Japan is aired in America, DVD's? That no one, except the truely wealthy, could possible afford right out of tha gate for every (or most) shows licensed and released here. Plus, tha fact you would basicly have no idea what tha show is like or based on except mabey a review or two on website on in a magazine. Sometimes even reviews aren't enough because we all like different things and a show that got reviewed badly could turn out to be something I enjoy. Making your whole bases for even purchasing a DVD very limited. The way I see it, for me personally, if fansubbing was to die I would have to move on (and away) from anime, forever. But then again viewing anime is a privilege and not something I have a right to damned for cheaper prices, more televised series, ect. Its really a lose/lose situation for someone in my position as well as tha Japanese companies. I cant afford DVD's right away and they can't afford to let me watch free episodes online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
I am a try before you buy kind of person.

This could be a reason why we may never see many simultaneous releases. American companies like ADV may not want to invest in a series/OVA/movie before they get a chance to see the reaction in Japan.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
I fail to see whats wrong with this. They want to do it to their own property, so be it.

As for ANime getting on TV, ADV aren't keeping the Anime Network back on purpose, and well, TV air time is not cheap. Nor is it cheap to license rights to television broadcast. or many of the other wonderful things involved.

Quote:
I really don't think anime would survive in the US without free fansub service.

Let's just see about that. You'll find a lot of purchases aren't nessecerally made because of Fansubs nowerdays.
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:13 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I fail to see whats wrong with this. They want to do it to their own property, so be it.

As for ANime getting on TV, ADV aren't keeping the Anime Network back on purpose, and well, TV air time is not cheap. Nor is it cheap to license rights to television broadcast. or many of the other wonderful things involved.

Quote:
I really don't think anime would survive in the US without free fansub service.

Let's just see about that. You'll find a lot of purchases aren't nessecerally made because of Fansubs nowerdays.

Yah, I didn't mean that it would just cease to exist in America. Though It would probably take a huge hit in terms of fanbase/popularity.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:46 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
I am a try before you buy kind of person.

This could be a reason why we may never see many simultaneous releases. American companies like ADV may not want to invest in a series/OVA/movie before they get a chance to see the reaction in Japan.

Hmm... I don't see that as being an issue as much as the concerns about reverse importation. The very concept of that doesn't surprise me at all, given the economics of it. I think Tempest made some very good points. On the other hand, I don't think ADV's desire to do a simultaneous release will be little more than a novelty. I truly do believe that fansubs generate the marketing concept of "word of mouth" It's been my experience that it's not the casual fan that buys Newtype USA, but the more hardcore ones. (I could be wrong on this, but give me some hard facts, I'm just speaking from personal experience here.) If I'm correct in this though, the only way that Grrrl Power will get the exposure first is through one of ADV's demo DVD's. And I think we who have been around the block long enough are more cautious with our money. I don't know how many people will rush out to buy some unknown series. I still suspect for this reason then that there is some truth in this: The inital sales for the series will probably be fairly low to begin with when compared to many other titles because it is an unknown series.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:18 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
I truly do believe that fansubs generate the marketing concept of "word of mouth" It's been my experience that it's not the casual fan that buys Newtype USA, but the more hardcore ones. (I could be wrong on this, but give me some hard facts, I'm just speaking from personal experience here.)

I buy NewType for 3 reasons:

1) Previews of the latest anime, so I can decide which fansubs I want to try.
2) The CLAMP column
3) The cgi/art tips

There are a couple newbies in my anime club who get it every once in a while, and when they do they like to pester me with questions about different anime featured in it, and to request I bring in whichever ones they think sound cool. I don't trust the NewType summaries anymore though. Their little thing on Matantei Loki RAGNAROK was so far off from what the anime was about that it sounded like something completely different. x_x

So yeah, I agree with you, only the hardcore fans, or at least the ones on the road to being hardcore, are buying the magazine. Why pay 10 bucks for an anime magazine that doesn't have features on your fave. toonami stuff when you can get Animerica for much cheaper?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3