• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbkir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't think length is a factor in slotting the shows. Inu with 52 new episodes and Wolf's Rain with 26 episodes are both long shows that will run on Saturdays from April into Oct. I also thought they'd run shorter series on weekends and the long ones on weeknights, but that doesn't seem to be the case. (^_*)
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quote
By putting Inuyasha on a Saturday only run, they will be stretching out their supply of episodes.

On one hand, it's irrating for them to do this after Inuyasha has been on 4 nights a week for most of it's runs. (It has been on the once a week run before, way back when)

But on the other hand, this will make the new episodes last longer and perhaps the Inuyasha fans won't start a riot. (I love that screen card that says they're surprised that a mini-riot doesn't break out during the 4 minute commercial break) However, using this reasoning, the fans will probably complain about the once-a-week-ness.

Maybe by putting Inuyasha on once a week, Viz is going to try to get their DVD releases ahead of the episodes airing on CN, like how Funimation is doing with Dragonball GT or Yu Yu Hakusho.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe getting two episodes back-to-back will appease them.

Or not.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
Maybe by putting Inuyasha on once a week, Viz is going to try to get their DVD releases ahead of the episodes airing on CN, like how Funimation is doing with Dragonball GT or Yu Yu Hakusho.

I don't think that'll happen. The DVDs will catch up to the number of episodes CN has aired at about the same time CN premieres new episodes. Two new episodes a week means approximately eight new episodes a month, and since Viz is releasing the equivalent of one DVD a month (specifically, two DVDs every two months), the TV showing will pull ahead again of the DVD releases.

I think this is just a way to help Viz with the dubbing. Viz did step up its dubbing schedule of "Inuyasha", but even now I don't think they have the next 52 episodes finished. Remember what happened last time? During the first 52 episodes, "Inuyasha" was only on Saturdays. Then when AS made the leap to weekdays, the show went faster on TV than Viz could dub, hence why they only aired the first 36 during the initial run (I can confirm this because I actually got an emial from the English producer of "Inuyasha" mentioning it). So the move to weekends is more than likely a way to help Viz get the episodes to AS on time. We don't want the "Spawns of Satan" complaining again, now do we? Laughing
Ryw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:

Comedy ratings > anime ratings
Now as true as that may be, you can't deny that time slots play a factor in that. I usually watch Family Guy and Futurama and then fall asleep sometime during Inu Yasha..... havin to get up the early sucks.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ryw wrote:
Swordfish_II wrote:

Now as true as that may be, you can't deny that time slots play a factor in that. I usually watch Family Guy and Futurama and then fall asleep sometime during Inu Yasha..... havin to get up the early sucks.

Or maybe comedy comes first because

Comedy ratings > anime ratings.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Ryw wrote:
Swordfish_II wrote:

Or maybe comedy comes first because

Comedy ratings > anime ratings.

Let's not fight over this now, it's not that important, nor is it necessary, nor does it really matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quote
What do they mean by showing 2 episodes?

...followed by the first of the new of Inu Yasha episodes at 11:30, two episodes will be shown.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Dart wrote:
What do they mean by showing 2 episodes?

...followed by the first of the new of Inu Yasha episodes at 11:30, two episodes will be shown.

It basically means we'll get 1 episode that is a re-run, then we will get a new episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Uhh, I think it is two new episodes.

Quote:
Wolf's Rain will premiere on Saturday, April 24th at 11pm, followed by the first of the new of Inu Yasha episodes at 11:30, two episodes will be shown

At that pace (2 new, every Saturday) it will take 26 weeks (6 months) to show all the new episodes. I doubt that will keep the Inuyasha fans happy.
Meson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
For those that still don't believe this thread, the entire news list straight from the cards themselves:

1. We really do hate you
2. Unfortunately, we do read all the viewer cards
3. Cats really are delicious
4. The whole Big O Eps. 26 thing was a mistake
5. except for the second time
6. There is no adult swim "SURVIVOR"
7. The Brak show is still cancelled
8. No, Inuyasha is not
9. The Big O does run on a microscopic battery
10. Hitting people with guitars may not be as fun as it sounds, but it is as fun as it looks.
11. Tim Duncan is not really a robot
12. Underpants are overrated
13. Though the show is great, Inuyasha fans are the spawn of Satan
14. That guy watching you poop might not always be Jeff Goldblum
15. We are geting Witch Hunter Robin (Feb. 16th)
16. There is no DVD of the cards
17. yet.
18. Once Upon a Time in the West is the best western ever made.
19. We are really that cool.
20. Lupin is Good
21. so is Reign
22. Adult Swim is expanding into Saturday later this year (4/17)
23. Action packaging is changing to a visual vocabulary
24. Yes, that does mean pictures
25. Contrary to popular belief, we are not monkeys
26. We've also landed one of Japan's most popular shows, Detective Conan
27. We really do have a giant Big O in our hallway. (Not that we lied about it before. we just like bragging about it.)
28. "ANIMATRIX" coming to an [adult swim] near you, check your local listings for details
29. The Hilton sisters are not that hot.
30. Their money is.
31. MC Chris is the shnixle!
32. Tupac is not dead. We happen to know he's living in a Vegas condo with Biggie and Elvis.
33. New episodes of Inuyasha starting in March/April.
34. We're excited too, but you Inuyasha fans can all stop humping your television sets
35. "Wolf's Rain" coming in April
36. Mr. T is the greatest actor of our time
37. Sliced bread is not so cool as that whole "greatest thing since sliced bread" idiom might suggest
38. Watching "Home Movies" will make you a better person.
39. We confess we are not single handedly responsible for the extinction of the Dodo.
40. But you don't see them making a comeback do you?
41. You're welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:12 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:

A quote from an Ask John question:

"As far as I'm aware, Pioneer has never been attached to Detective Conan. Fox Television originally announced plans to bring the series to America but later changed their mind because the show is simply too violent for American television, and editing it wouldn't leave enough footage intact to make up necessary episode running time. For a children's program, Detective Conan includes some pretty intense, graphic violence, such as bloody stabbings, decapitations, shootings and various other examples of brutal and vicious homicide. Later episodes in the ongoing series have an even darker and more sinister atmosphere than the early episodes, including scenes such as one of villains torturing a helpless woman by shooting her repeatedly in non-vital areas, expecting her to slowly bleed to death. Some will argue that Dragonball Z is very violent for a children's program, but flying superhumans throwing "laser beams" and beating each other up is still more acceptable in a "cartoon" for American television broadcast than a "cartoon" that includes an episode about a pre-teen girl who gets locked in the trunk of a car with a severed human head."

Hmm. Based on this description, it'll be very interesting to see how AS handles the edits. Will it get cut up beyond what's necessary, edited by the standards so far, or set a new precedence on what's acceptable on AS? (maybe the first TV-M show on AS?) FLCL set a new precedent on acceptable dialogue; maybe DC will do that on violence.

Bringing the Animatrix on will definitely boost AS's credibility abroad. People not necessarily familiar with AS, but familiar with Animatrix will see AS in a new light. (Provided they don't slice and dice too much)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
Hmm. Based on this description, it'll be very interesting to see how AS handles the edits. Will it get cut up beyond what's necessary, edited by the standards so far, or set a new precedence on what's acceptable on AS? (maybe the first TV-M show on AS?) FLCL set a new precedent on acceptable dialogue; maybe DC will do that on violence.

Only if FUNi and CN don't have a misscommuncation like what happened with Blue Gender.
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Swordfish_II"]
space clam wrote:
Only if FUNi and CN don't have a misscommuncation like what happened with Blue Gender.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Conan" is Funi's way of saying to everyone, "Sorry about what happened with 'Blue Gender'. Here, how about some 'Detective Conan'?" Laughing
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
2004 is already a good year for me and this only makes it even better. Any word yet if there going to dub the movies yet? I hope they take there time otherwise they(Viz) might botch the series if they rush and we wouldn't want that would we? I'm looking forward to all the other series I never even heard of like Wolf's Rain, Det.Conan and somewhat heard of WHR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3