• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo/GDH Contacts Crunchyroll Video Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
It's gonna be like Hollywood (before independent filmmakers made better films than them) all over again.

Uh... That happened in the late 60's.

Never mind. Hows abouts you offer us up some revolutionary ideas to fix that problem? Very Happy

For the time being:

1: (Since the FANBASE wouldn't exist without fansubs;) we thank the fansubbers who take their time and do it out of love.
1b: We ignore those other fansubbers (like the mistake-filled "speedy-subbers") who do it for fame and "lulz."

2: We vote with our wallets. "Evil capitalism" is a whole lot better than "free garbage."
2b: Greg Ayers, Monica Rial, and Funimation are protecting their own rear ends. That's what businesses do when they're making money. So quit badmouthing them.

spoiler[3: Go to Bandai Visual USA's blog and tell them how much more money they'd get if Galaxy Angel Lune's Apricot had been played by Lia Sergeant.]

Everything else depends on the spineless anime industry in Japan as well as the American licensors they love to speak through.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I agree. A lot of fansubbers are not out there for personally glory and so called "e-peen". A lot of them just do it because they want to and never ask for anything in return, or hardly ever release any statements. I guess that's unrelated to the topic at hand, which is that Bandai and FUNi just got Gonzown'd.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
Funimation works VERY closely with Gonzo. They have an ALLIANCE with Gonzo, to the point where Funi sent out C & D letters for Romeo and Juliet, a series Funi hadn't even LICENSED (yet?) or even hinted at owning rights-to-distribute here. One would assume they did that because they wanted to maintain their alliance with Gonzo, because Gonzo makes quality anime, that Funi would like to have all the rights for.

So here are my questions:

Has Gonzo terminated their alliance with Funimation? If so, WHY?

Who ever said FUNimation and GONZO had an "alliance"? I see FUNimation more as a big customer of GONZO's who has also lent them the assistance of their legal team. GDH has offices in LA and I doubt they get paid to sit there doing nothing.

Quote:
If Gonzo has terminated their alliance with Funimation, then why has Funimation not said anything?

Even if FUNimation did have a falling out, why would they advertise this?

Quote:
If Gonzo hasn't terminated their alliance, why on EARTH would their answer vary so radically from their overseas partner, an answer that could well jeopardize their relationship?

They aren't joined at the hip, and as others have said - FUNimation has all along been requesting properties they have the US license for be removed from the site. This doesn't stop GONZO negotiating other titles with Crunchy Roll any more than it prevents them from negotiating with ADV, FUNimation's competitors.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I am torn between thinking that GDH making an alliance with crunchyroll is either very smart, or very stupid...

It's very stupid, of course, because you're sleeping with pirates, and the other older legit companies will be less likely to deal with you.

But maybe they don't care?

Think of it this way: Gonzo cuts a deal to cut a share of the overall advertising profit from CR. In return they let them host a number of their shows.
But then Gonzo is technically getting a cut of the advertising, which means they're USING the illegal fansubs of other company's shows that are on Crunchyroll to drive up THEIR profits!
Furthermore, they sidestep legal issues with streaming by licensing out to a third party instead of doing it themselves. Brilliant, maybe? At least if you don't foresee selling any marginal licenses any time soon, at least.
Fabe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
OK lets say CR does go legit and starts hosting anime legally will I

1) be able to download and burn to disk, I don't know about the rest of you but I don't really have the hard drive space to store a bunch of video.

2) will the video be bi-lingual, I mostly watch dubs but I like having the option of switching to Japanese that I get with DVDs.

If not I think I'll be sticking with DVDs for a good while longer
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
OK lets say CR does go legit and starts hosting anime legally will I

1) be able to download and burn to disk, I don't know about the rest of you but I don't really have the hard drive space to store a bunch of video.

2) will the video be bi-lingual, I mostly watch dubs but I like having the option of switching to Japanese that I get with DVDs.

If not I think I'll be sticking with DVDs for a good while longer

I don't think anyone could give you any type of solid answer. I know you can get youtube videos, though the quality is so terrible most the time I wouldn't bother for almost anything. I don't think I've heard of streaming sites with multiple audio/ability to turn subs on/off, but I'm sure it's possible(or atleast to host both versions). But for crunchyroll specifically, you're better off asking them or just waiting I imagine.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Fable wrote:
Quote:

As Vortextk said everythings basically a game of 'Let's Speculate!', but in that spirit on your latter point I can't see dubs involved in this. Not only are they very costly, but the time it takes to get them prepared would be prohibitive to the fast turn-around time needed to keep pace with the regular fansub sites. I think the assumption is that a site like Crunchyroll would be a quick-post, subtitle affair.

On your first point, if a user is allowed to burn high/decent-quality material to DVD then Gonzo/whoever has really essentially kissed goodbye to any contract value at all in the physical (DVD) media world. No R1 DVD provider would pay anything but a nominal fee to have the physical license rights to a series that has not only already been distributed in the region, but which consumers were allowed to make their own 'burns' of as well. So in a scenario like that a Gonzo would have to pray internet advertising/download fees became a serious financial windfall, because that's all they would have to go on to finance a very costly production cycle.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
If you have the money to buy anime DVDs all the time, you definitely have the money to buy a 500 gigabyte Western Digital external harddrive. They go for $100 or less these days.
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you have the money to buy anime DVDs all the time, you definitely have the money to buy a 500 gigabyte Western Digital external harddrive. They go for $100 or less these days.

Whoaaaaa wait just a minute. Are you suggesting to people who actually buy DVDs that they should go buy hard drives instead?
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, even a company like Son May had legitimate releases.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone read what Kadokawa said in the interview? This is very positive news:

"Fans lay the foundations of a trend. They upload anime films to YouTube to introduce their favorite anime, sometimes even going to the trouble of translating the dialog. We can distribute the films to regular movie theaters or sell DVDs after the groundwork has already been established.

Those who want to see clear pictures will buy DVDs. People who have failed to see on-air programs or those who just want to see what it is like will view content on YouTube. Not only videos but also character goods and illustrations have a chance to be a top seller. Under the present situation, we are wasting these opportunities."

-Tofu
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
As much as I despise the idea of fansubs and illigal BT, this is an intreguing situation, though it feels like an act of desperation on Gonzo's side, I applaud them for venturing forward with this cunning plan. However, if that plan is to try to "tame" these wild bucks by taking them into their house and treat them like partners, I'm afraid it's only going to end in tears. All ready the pro-fansubbers are whinging about quality and pricing which is just their way of making an excuse to start up a new free service elsewhere. It's like bursting a zit. Soon another one pops out somewhere else. Still nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll be following this one closely.

(Sings "Take Me In Tender Woman, Sighed The Snake") Wink
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Words do bring hope, but only that.

I want to see action. Honestly, I can't really be swayed unless I see them start doing something.

Honestly, I think AMVs on YouTube and at regular cons have made me aware of some series that even though I know is popular now, I probably would never give it a 2nd thought. Like...

Ouran High School Host Club....And Perfect Blue (Thank You, AMV Hell.>.>)
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone read what Kadokawa said in the interview? This is very positive news:

Yep, as a matter of fact I responded to it a page ago in this thread:
Quote:

The Japanese anime industry have famously dragged their feet on digital distribution, but Tadashi Fukuda is here to tell you he's really been on top of this the whole time, doesn't have a thing to do with Google's massive financial pool, no sir. What's great about the article is in classic Japanese business fashion, whatever your opinion is Fukuda agrees with it for a paragraph, until he completely contradicts himself in the next one. He's all for free download content, fans are everything! Except the most important thing is the wishes of the copy-right holder! We will make it easy for fan-made content! As long as it passes rigorous protection software measures of course!

I know Fukuda says some 'progressive' sounding things, but he literally back-tracks and reverses his meaning every other paragraph. To me, the interview has the vibe of the sluggish Japanese corporate head coming way late to the program, and hastily regurgitating all the arguments they've ignored for years as if it was a stroke of brilliance they've just come upon. There's also a bit of troubling 'Hey traditional R1 partners who we've ignored for years-Get ready to be thrown under the bus!' to it. I obviously hope for the best, and it may turn out great, but that was a somewhat odd/opaque interview.

Overall, my major question point as to the Japanese anime industry 'getting it', so to speak, is if they see the value of digital distribution they could have had their own model years ago. The rise of the fansub model is no cutting-edge secret, yet they've resisted R1 companies building a similar distribution model for awhile, a system that would have allowed the industry complete control over the product/website. With a Crunchyroll or to a lesser extent a Google/Youtube, your handling your product through a third party whose viewer numbers are made largely through your product to begin with, as well as muddying the value of future physical (DVD) distribution contract values. Instead of being on the edge of a trend years earlier and controlling the fate of their own product, it seems some Japanese anime industry elements are playing 'Johnny-Come-Lately' and hoping into deep pocketed North American third-party venues.

Last edited by Goodpenguin on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Whoaaaaa wait just a minute. Are you suggesting to people who actually buy DVDs that they should go buy hard drives instead?

Sometimes it makes for better storage space, and those things are getting cheaper these days. At 100 dollars for a 500 GB hard drive you're paying a dollar for evrey 5 GB, which isn't bad really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8