• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo/GDH Contacts Crunchyroll Video Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farla-hime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Crunchyroll's activity for awhile now (ever since Viacom was interested in paying US$10 mil for it), and I would like to point out a few reasons that this site needs to (and can) be sued by US and/or Japanese companies:

a) They are not protected under the DMCA, as pointed out by many people on this and other forums (but for posterity: TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 5 > § 504 (a) "Actual Damages and Profits" & 506 of Title 17, prosecutable under section 2319 of Title 18).
b) They have just received $4 mil Class A venture capital--Class A is typically 1/6 to 1/3 of a company's estimated (read:projected) value. In addition to any previous site revenue, they are a worthy target of a lawsuit, and since their site has not yet been sold to a 3rd party, this is the best opportunity to sue them.
c) If US and Japanese companies band together they can keep court costs to a minimum.

The only impediment I can come up with is that the US/J companies are afraid of pissing off a 4-million-viewer-strong fanbase. To that, I would like to point out that those viewers are being duped as well, and should not hold a grudge for the downfall of such a despicable site (and the majority of them will just surf for other streaming sites without another thought). My defense of this argument:

a) They are not a "fan community" run by an innocent anime fan called "Shinji" as they would suggest. They have the gall to write that they are "started as a site for fun, it was a pure site that simply wanted everyone to experience the culture and joy that is asian media." In reality, they have been an Internet Startup since inception (coming from the HotOrNot startup, which also sold for millions), with the constant goal of building site traffic via pirated video streams in order to sell the site for insane profits.
b) Even now, with at least $4 mil in assets, they are telling their so-called valued members this: "donations still aren't able to cover all of crunchyroll's costs" and asking them to donate for "bandwidth costs" and also to "volunteer" as in-house fansubbers of titles they have no rights to broadcast. They are not only snaking the anime industry, but also their own members.
c) CR recently removed its ads and made a statement that they were doing it to "be purely about the user experience" and "for the fans," stating they would keep them off "for 2 weeks, maybe longer." Sounds more like they got advised by lawyers (via Venrock) that those ads were a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Point out these facts to crunchyroll's "fanbase" and it will undoubtedly turn any of their exploited users with half a brain against them.

ANIME COMPANIES ! Please act now against this site--this is a time-sensitive situation. CR is a foolish site that pushed the envelope on both the use of fansubs and the DMCA laws, then sought out and took $4 mil in VC--So not only are they 100% vulnerable to prosecution, they HAVE THE MONEY TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE! Please don't wait for them to institute the legal protections that will make this more difficult in the future--FILE THE LEGAL DOCUMENTS TODAY !
sheighton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
For all you doubters that I argued with a few days ago I say HA! "Wouldn't agree to work with each other" my ass! I win bitch! Laughing
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Congratulations.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
sheighton wrote:
Quote:
For all you doubters that I argued with a few days ago I say HA! "Wouldn't agree to work with each other" my ass! I win bitch!

?

The one thread you participated in you spent 99% of your effort rambling in broken sentences centered around how Crunchyroll was run by a bunch of fans doing it for fun, that the VC investment meant nothing (or was just for maintenance), and whether the content currently on it was illegal or not. And you were wrong on all those counts. There were maybe two or three remarks as to getting legal content providers, which wasn't even the focus/scope of the thread.

Stay classy though, quality way to construct arguments at twenty years of age!
mauz15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Sheignton, be careful.

"trading ideas" between them is, well, only that! Trading ideas.

Farla-hime wrote:
I've been watching Crunchyroll's activity for awhile now (ever since Viacom was interested in paying US$10 mil for it), and I would like to point out a few reasons that this site needs to (and can) be sued by US and/or Japanese companies:

a) They are not protected under the DMCA, as pointed out by many people on this and other forums (but for posterity: TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 5 > § 504 (a) "Actual Damages and Profits" & 506 of Title 17, prosecutable under section 2319 of Title 18).
b) They have just received $4 mil Class A venture capital--Class A is typically 1/6 to 1/3 of a company's estimated (read:projected) value. In addition to any previous site revenue, they are a worthy target of a lawsuit, and since their site has not yet been sold to a 3rd party, this is the best opportunity to sue them.
c) If US and Japanese companies band together they can keep court costs to a minimum.

The only impediment I can come up with is that the US/J companies are afraid of pissing off a 4-million-viewer-strong fanbase. To that, I would like to point out that those viewers are being duped as well, and should not hold a grudge for the downfall of such a despicable site (and the majority of them will just surf for other streaming sites without another thought). My defense of this argument:

a) They are not a "fan community" run by an innocent anime fan called "Shinji" as they would suggest. They have the gall to write that they are "started as a site for fun, it was a pure site that simply wanted everyone to experience the culture and joy that is asian media." In reality, they have been an Internet Startup since inception (coming from the HotOrNot startup, which also sold for millions), with the constant goal of building site traffic via pirated video streams in order to sell the site for insane profits.
b) Even now, with at least $4 mil in assets, they are telling their so-called valued members this: "donations still aren't able to cover all of crunchyroll's costs" and asking them to donate for "bandwidth costs" and also to "volunteer" as in-house fansubbers of titles they have no rights to broadcast. They are not only snaking the anime industry, but also their own members.
c) CR recently removed its ads and made a statement that they were doing it to "be purely about the user experience" and "for the fans," stating they would keep them off "for 2 weeks, maybe longer." Sounds more like they got advised by lawyers (via Venrock) that those ads were a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Point out these facts to crunchyroll's "fanbase" and it will undoubtedly turn any of their exploited users with half a brain against them.

ANIME COMPANIES ! Please act now against this site--this is a time-sensitive situation. CR is a foolish site that pushed the envelope on both the use of fansubs and the DMCA laws, then sought out and took $4 mil in VC--So not only are they 100% vulnerable to prosecution, they HAVE THE MONEY TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE! Please don't wait for them to institute the legal protections that will make this more difficult in the future--FILE THE LEGAL DOCUMENTS TODAY !

Eh...okay, yes and no.
What do you mean by watching? so far not much info about the place is around. I remember a few articles mentioning the 'hot or not' detail but while I can't provide evidence for its truth value, I can say that they were badly written material.

"Sounds more like they got advised by lawyers (via Venrock) that those ads were a lawsuit waiting to happen"

Could be, and could not be. That's not really a fact as you state so in the last part of your post. Just an assumption.
I happen to know a malware popup was constantly showing up on CR and causing annoyance to some users, and considering the amount of streaming data currently there, I always doubted ads were helping significantly.

"Even now, with at least $4 mil in assets, they are telling their so-called valued members this: "donations still aren't able to cover all of crunchyroll's costs"

See, this is why I keep stretching the fact that time is an important factor here to consider before you jump to conclusions that yes, look justified and reasonable but are not considering all the alternatives. I'll say it again, the matter is still too fresh. For instance, the donations link has changed. It is currently under construction
http://www.crunchyroll.com/donate?src=top

What I'm trying to say here is that, yeah it seems you have followed the situation, and I'm not going to attempt to refute things here. Still, using words such as 'facts' so loosely is not really the thing to be doing right now.
Farla-hime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
mauz15 wrote:

"Sounds more like they got advised by lawyers (via Venrock) that those ads were a lawsuit waiting to happen"

Could be, and could not be. That's not really a fact as you state so in the last part of your post. Just an assumption.

You're correct, Point C is not a proven "fact," but that hardly detracts from CR's deplorable ethics towards the content rights owners as well as its own users.

mauz15 wrote:

"Even now, with at least $4 mil in assets, they are telling their so-called valued members this: "donations still aren't able to cover all of crunchyroll's costs"

(...)the fact that time is an important factor here to consider before you jump to conclusions(...)
For instance, the donations link has changed. It is currently under construction(...)

Right again--time is the important factor--and CR is clearly taking advantage of that by removing both forms of revenue to the site--which is why Anime companies must FILE THEIR LEGAL DOCUMENTS NOW. CR is trying to ride the wave of profits from piracy into legitimacy, and the anime industry are a bunch of fools if they let them make their way into this industry by raping them to get there.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
As a quick add-in (and with hat-tip to Draneor at AoD), here's a bit of perspective/idle speculation from Simon of Icarus Publishing:

* Note- Icarus is a manga publisher aimed at those who enjoy.....visual renditions of the 'Birds and the Bee's', so there may be a touch o' NSF, as the kids say.

http://www.icaruscomics.com/wp_web/?p=1155

Sample:

Quote:
Ultimately, if anything is to come of this, everyone would likely have gotten their own hand in the jar, and that’s really where things may fall apart. A lot of people wonder why copyright holders don’t partner up with sites like The Pirate Bay, whose business model has earned them millions in profits. What they fail to realize is that such sites are earning millions on copyrighted material that cost hundreds of billions to create. If that money were to be divided equally to every rights holder, it wouldn’t be worth the time to cash those checks. So if the royalties studios receive from Crunchyroll are eating into more substantial profits from traditional DVD sales, then this would have been a bad decision. Anime output will either be cut back dramatically, or the quality will suffer. Of course, this is already happening.

Secondly, for advertising revenue to be truly substantial, there has to be support from major corporations… and much like in television, these mega-companies will eventually want a say in content. If anime fans get pissy over digitally removed gunshot wounds in Cowboy Bebop, just imagine what things would be like when every next scene has a character eating Doritos or downing a Pepsi.

If my post thus far seems pretty one-sided, let me close with this… as vital as publishers, distributors, and talented localization people are to anime, they are NOT ANIME. If online distribution is able to displace, or more likely, coexist with current distribution models without detriment to profits, then that’s all for the better. But fans have to remember that, whether you get your anime as legal DVDs or stream them online, anime is a costly product that needs genuine financial patronage. A lack of true support will doom anime, no matter what business model or delivery system is in place.

He touches a bit in spirit with what Tempest wrote earlier. He also ponders some of the questions I had as well; isn't it kind of a stab-in-the-back to R1, what will it do to the value of physical (DVD) license contracts, etc..
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's a depressing blow.
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
xstylus wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you have the money to buy anime DVDs all the time, you definitely have the money to buy a 500 gigabyte Western Digital external harddrive. They go for $100 or less these days.

Whoaaaaa wait just a minute. Are you suggesting to people who actually buy DVDs that they should go buy hard drives instead?

Sometimes it makes for better storage space, and those things are getting cheaper these days. At 100 dollars for a 500 GB hard drive you're paying a dollar for evrey 5 GB, which isn't bad really.

[grabs some tylenol]

I think you missed my question entirely. Let me try being a bit more clear.

My question was whether wal-whatshisname, and now you, seriously advocate that people go buy larger hard drives (theoretically in order to store more downloaded/pirated/ripped/bootlegged anime) INSTEAD OF buying more DVDs which thereby supports the industry, which thereby does not make you another deplorable leech.

If I am coming to the wrong conclusion, then please clarify for me how or why the topic of hard drive purchases is in any way beneficial or even relevant to the situation at hand.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I assumed they were talking about subscription/download services you would be getting anime from legally. A lot of crunchyroll news on here recently so I might've mixed up posts between these topics without going back and rereading everything here, but I was pretty sure it was talk of hd space for legal downloading.(As a type of "what if", since there are barely any places to do that at this time)
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Farla-hime wrote:
Right again--time is the important factor--and CR is clearly taking advantage of that by removing both forms of revenue to the site--which is why Anime companies must FILE THEIR LEGAL DOCUMENTS NOW.

That might be gratifying to see, but it isn't actually necessary if they really have been "monitoring the situation". Even though crunchyroll.com does honor DMCA takedown requests, they failed to meet the safe harbor provisions in quite a few other ways. To the extent that they have ever been liable for transgressions in the past, they remain so now.

Under title 17, civil actions can be commenced up to 3 years after a claim accrues, criminal actions can be prosecuted up to years after criminal infringement occurs. So there's really no rush.

That said, I really don't think any US companies will ever take any action, even against crunchyroll.com, beyond sending C&D's and takedown notices. I think that they are paralyzed with fear that if they do something substantial (even against a ripe target like crunchyroll.com) that a bunch of people who don't buy their product anyway are going to even more not buy their product.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
He touches a bit in spirit with what Tempest wrote earlier. He also ponders some of the questions I had as well; isn't it kind of a stab-in-the-back to R1, what will it do to the value of physical (DVD) license contracts, etc..
If it's nothing but subbed raws before there is an R1 licence, which then would only be important for the English dub, then your answer is not much at all. it would act the same way as a fansub but under Gonzo's control, meaning if a title appears to be a "hot property" by the amounts of hits and forum activity that leans towards favour, then gonzo can use that to set the asking price for an NA license.
I've stated a few times in the past that I'm not against the concept of Digital distribution, only the illegality of it's origin.

xstylus wrote:

[grabs some tylenol]

I think you missed my question entirely. Let me try being a bit more clear.

My question was whether wal-whatshisname, and now you, seriously advocate that people go buy larger hard drives (theoretically in order to store more downloaded/pirated/ripped/bootlegged anime) INSTEAD OF buying more DVDs which thereby supports the industry, which thereby does not make you another deplorable leech.

If I am coming to the wrong conclusion, then please clarify for me how or why the topic of hard drive purchases is in any way beneficial or even relevant to the situation at hand.
I could be wrong, but I think he means if this is the dawn of a legal digital distribution process, having the higher capacity hard drive will be of more use then buying the DVD, because once legally on that hard drive one could later burn a DVD for achiving. At least that's what I think he means. Being an old git who's learned to wait, I would prebably wait until there is a proper DVD release before I purchase, and only then if I decide so to do, simply because I would also want the packaging and colourful labeling.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Goodpenguin wrote:
If it's nothing but subbed raws before there is an R1 licence, which then would only be important for the English dub, then your answer is not much at all. it would act the same way as a fansub but under Gonzo's control, meaning if a title appears to be a "hot property" by the amounts of hits and forum activity that leans towards favour, then gonzo can use that to set the asking price for an NA license.

Perhaps, but I'm not so sure on that. R1 licensor's have been after the Japanese industry licensees to allow them to run some form of digital distribution model with the goal of minimizing fansub losses and hopefully open up a bit of a new revenue stream to stem recent losses in the DVD market. After being rebuffed for some time, suddenly the R1 industry sees (some) Japanese licensee's jump into bed with a third party, and not just any third party, but some of the very same sites who are the primary under-cutters of the R1 licensor's business.

Now beyond the more superficial 'souring' of traditional R1 attitudes at that move, the traditional R1 licensor has to feel the entire 'bargaining landscape' has shifted. We know from years of sales impact that 'unofficial' fansub viewing has drastically lowered DVD sales, I can't see the assumption that suddenly 'official' fansubs are going to increase the sales potential of a DVD property. The point of licensor's asking for digital distribution rights was to mix the previous DVD sales market with an additional revenue stream to return profitability, and now that stream has been given to third party players. When the Japanese licensee sits down at the bargaining table, they no longer can deal from the vantage point of giving a 'virgin' official license to the R1 region, nor make the argument that they must exclusively recoup/share cost from this physical (DVD) license when they already have another revenue steam (NA digital distribution) coming in.

The Japanese licensee will have both fractured friendly working relations to a degree and drastically undercut the value of physical (DVD) contracts. That's also what Simon from Icarus publishing was musing, how big a windfall is internet ad-revenue really, and if it's not enough to fiscally compensate dealing a blow to already struggling DVD revenue, jumping in with third-party digital distribution instead of working with traditional R1 licensor's in both a digital/physical distribution capacity will been seen as a good idea (digital distribution) executed not just way late, but foolishly by the Japanese.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
So, let me get this straight --

Is Gonzo really dealing with one of the leading sources of pirated anime distribution? To promote something new of theirs?

So, what about all of the other material on Crunchyroll? What about everything else illegal that's been posted? Is Gonzo just going to casually overlook this? Or have we not gotten that far in the deal yet?

It looks like Gonzo is dropping some change on the deal... if they don't do something else to create financial gain, won't they be losing even MORE money?

Perhaps Gonzo could legally ask for a piece of the "donation profit" that Crunchyroll asks users for? Or ask Crunchyroll to pay royalty fees? Until I see some more news concerning this, I don't really understand how Gonzo plans on profiting for the long run.

Still not a fan of Crunchyroll...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Farla-hime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:

Perhaps Gonzo could legally ask for a piece of the "donation profit" that Crunchyroll asks users for? Or ask Crunchyroll to pay royalty fees? Until I see some more news concerning this, I don't really understand how Gonzo plans on profiting for the long run.

Crunchyroll changed their donations page (yesterday, I believe) so that users can opt for their "donations" to go to one of 2 Japanese studios, Gonzo being one of them. I see it as a pathetic attempt at avoiding prosecution, shamelessly masked as a sudden sense of veneration for the companies they've been stealing from for the past 2 years. Interesting that the first companies they feel the sudden urge to pay restitution to are the same two they are making business deals with...
But who knows? Maybe CR really does feel bad about how they got where they are today--maybe Monday they'll announce that they're distributing the 4 million and all additional assets to the companies and license holders they owe it to, and then will give their site away to a charity fund for despairing animation artists in Japan? [/sarcasm]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8