• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
Something else that's almost never accounted for in these arguments is that the majority of illegal downloaders will never buy the thing anyway, so the amount of money "the industry" is losing to them is fairly difficult to define.

You must not actually be reading these arguments then because this is always brought up.
skaly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Okay, if you'd care to elaborate on that maybe there is some other reason why you think this but otherwise I think you've illustrated my point perfectly. If they think it's okay to take it they must think they're entitled to it right? No, these people just don't think that way. For them it comes down to nothing more than whether they physically can take it and what the results and consequences of doing so will be. The key difference being that in this case they don't feel that it should be available but simply that it is available and it has acceptable results and therefore they will watch it.

This argument can only exist in a context where a sense of "right" and "wrong" and "could" versus "should" have been completely removed.

Which at this point is basically what we have.

They can so they will and who can blame them, right? After all, they can, so they are!

It's sad how anime fandom justifies bitter cynicism.

As you imply, I think what the industry is up against (not just the anime industry, but the comic book industry) is human nature. I think a lot of the fans don't appreciate the role they play in the bigger picture. When you don't pay for something, there's somebody out there who is not getting paid. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."
Case

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone has made this comment yet, but I really do think that the original Pokemon OP was pretty darn snappy and exciting.

When I say "original" I mean Mezase Pokemon Master, not the dub version embedded in the Answerman article... >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoetRgXVGTM

Zac wrote:

Pot, meet kettle. =)
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
you people failed to mention Gundam X's resolution

0r ZZ's Silent Voice
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

Zac wrote:

Pot, meet kettle. =)

Is it like your mission to just generically attack me and make lame little potshots every time you post here or what?
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Case wrote:

Zac wrote:

Pot, meet kettle. =)

Is it like your mission to just generically attack me and make lame little potshots every time you post here or what?

Actually, I kind of agree with him.

I liked Gundam 00

Quote:
As you imply, I think what the industry is up against (not just the anime industry, but the comic book industry) is human nature. I think a lot of the fans don't appreciate the role they play in the bigger picture. When you don't pay for something, there's somebody out there who is not getting paid. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Wow..I wasn't aware the comic book industry had those types of problems. I assumed they had a stable base built up from the Comic Book era.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Dramatis Personae wrote:

I'm cynical after 9 years or so of working in anime. However, I have not allowed that cynicism to poison my general belief that people are generally good and it is not "human nature" to automatically toss aside all ethics, morals and even the law simply because you can without consequences.

I do not think it's "world-weary wisdom" to think the worst of humanity, I think it's sad.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
garry wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
They neither feel entitled to it, nor do they feel that you need to be entitled to something for it to be okay.

Perfect description of a sense of entitlement.

Okay, if you'd care to elaborate on that maybe there is some other reason why you think this but otherwise I think you've illustrated my point perfectly. .
Your words did describe a sense of entitlement perfectly. To wit: entitlement is assumed to not exist and to be unnecessary to the all-important process of having. A sense of entitlement is not a cognitive process that results in a belief that entitlement exists, it is a psychological substitute for actual entitlement. The function of a sense of entitlement is to reduce actual entitlement to an irrelevent consideration.
Quote:
If they think it's okay to take it they must think they're entitled to it right?

Only in the most extreme cases rising to the level of psychological disorder. Otherwise, the sense of entitlement motivates a psychological process that says "because I want it, I should have it". A process which by definition circumvents the question "Why should I have it?". To the extent that such a question intrudes and actual entitlement is ever considered, the sense of entitlement must then drive the discovery of other justification necessary to complete the process of making entitlement irrelevent.

Quote:
No, these people just don't think that way. For them it comes down to nothing more than whether they physically can take it and what the results and consequences of doing so will be.

This is where you end up arguing against yourself. A sense of entitlement doesn't provide a way of thinking, it provides a way of not thinking. There is 'wanting to have', then an entire structure of rules for the common good that gets bypassed by a sense of entitlement, followed by taking.

Quote:
The key difference being that in this case they don't feel that it should be available but simply that it is available and it has acceptable results and therefore they will watch it.

I think you are really underestimating the "should be available" aspect there. The driving force behind "I want it. I should have it." by necessity implies a desire that it be available. Indeed, "availability" is introduced as an issue repeatedly in these discussions.

The concept that a lot of people have over-developed senses of entitlement does not mean that they believe that they are entitled to anything, it means that they don't rely upon entitlement to justify a belief that they should have what they want.

The concept of a sense of entitlement is best illustrated by the example of infants. An infant wants what it wants and feels (not thinks) that it should have it. If it gets what it wants it is satisfied, and if it doesn't then it cries. There is no concept of "and I deserve to have it because xxx...", it isn't even possible for it to be a consideration. A sense of entitlement is NOT a way of thinking, it is a way of behaving that is fueled by wanting that can be supressed or not supressed.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki:

Now, you're just arguing over semantics. What you're talking about is going to apply at a subconscious level and in a general sense only and not specifically to anime. The point is that these people don't consciously think that anime should be some sort of human right or something or that they companies are wrong for not giving it away for free.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dramatis Personae wrote:

I'm cynical after 9 years or so of working in anime. However, I have not allowed that cynicism to poison my general belief that people are generally good and it is not "human nature" to automatically toss aside all ethics, morals and even the law simply because you can without consequences.

I do not think it's "world-weary wisdom" to think the worst of humanity, I think it's sad.

Do you write poetry?

Now you are trying to justify your bitterness. Whether or not you see the purity in another's soul doesn't make you any less bitter, you've simply redirected towards everyone as a whole. If that's what seperates you from the pack, then ok.

Also, I don't think that's the issue here. Most of the "old guard" and people like myself love the industry. Sure some people may be bitter and think of them as you have described, but I don't see that from everyone. Simply I think they are tired and this pointless debate is the only means of expressing that anger.

The infighting is simply the logical conclusion of people who'd rather not see Anime die in the US vs those who may or may not care. That's for another arguemnt I have no desire to engage in all together.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Dramatis Personae wrote:
Zac wrote:

Do you write poetry?

Now you are trying to justify your bitterness. Whether or not you see the purity in another's soul doesn't make you any less bitter, you've simply redirected towards everyone as a whole. If that's what seperates you from the pack, then ok.

Also, I don't think that's the issue here. Most of the "old guard" and people like myself love the industry. Sure some people may be bitter and think of them as you have described, but I don't see that from everyone. Simply I think they are tired and this pointless debate is the only means of expressing that anger.

The infighting is simply the logical conclusion of people who'd rather not see Anime die in the US vs those who may or may not care. That's for another arguemnt I have no desire to engage in all together.

So explaining himself is now simply a case of Zac making excuses huh? Maybe you might actually just take his words at face value instead of trying to find some hidden meaning or ulterior motive behind them. Despite the hobby many people at this forum have of trying to analyze every post by others and find the super secret meaning behind them or true purpose the fact is some people simply mean what they say and you should take their words at face value. Just a thought.

I also have to ask how in the world do you see the infighting between the 2 vocal groups of anime fans as any sort of logical conclusion to anything. I'm sorry but there is nothing logical to the notion of 2 groups of people wanting to tear each other's throats out almost. Or perhaps I'm just another one of those bitter people myself. Smile I must also point out Zac never said that everyone is part of the old guard or new type of fans. Those are just the 2 most vocal groups of fans at this point in time. There is a difference. Majority of fans are normal people who download and buy together in moderate amounts and go to conventions and all that warm fuzzy stuff. They aren't the fans that are the most vocal however.

And btw is there a problem with a guy writing poetry? (yes that's sarcasm btw)
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote
I disagree that the middle of the road fans aren't vocal. I am vocal, ikillchicken is vocal. The problem is that we are constantly misrepresented as being in this "evil" group simply because we bother to even step up and say anything, and this might be the reason people don't completely trust Zac when he claims not to be generally cynical about people.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Now, you're just arguing over semantics.

No I'm not, and saying so is just one of your typical blanket dismissals of a post that contradicts you. I can't deny, however, that a position that says "[term] does not apply, what's really happening is [behavior described by term]" certainly introduces semantic concerns.

Quote:
What you're talking about is going to apply at a subconscious level and in a general sense only and not specifically to anime.

Absolutely correct. This would be the concern. What we are talking about is an impulse that is only controlled by the introduction of rational thought including consideration of what is 'right' and what is 'wrong'. The sense of entitlement fosters a cognitive dissonance that allows what is known to be true to be summarily dismissed. When right and wrong are dismissed, all that remains is 'what I want'.

Quote:
The point is that these people don't consciously think that anime should be some sort of human right or something or that they companies are wrong for not giving it away for free.

Actually, I'm quite familiar with a rather large group comprised of people that by and large tend to think exactly that, express it freely and vehemently, and consistently act on it.

Be that as it may, whatever you thought your point was, what you were saying was that the term 'sense of entitlement' didn't apply to the majority of people who support copyright infringement via illegal downloading. That was patently false. There isn't a single argument in favor of such activity that doesn't have a "here is where the sense of entitlement kicks in" element to it.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So explaining himself is now simply a case of Zac making excuses huh? Maybe you might actually just take his words at face value instead of trying to find some hidden meaning or ulterior motive behind them.

No, not really, because bitterness is bitterness no matter your justification for it. Whether or not there is a source for his cynicism it is still…well cynicism. Sometimes misplaced I might add because I really don’t care about the Akira live action movie. Yet somehow a bunch of people whining on a messageboard translates to the whole of the Anime fandom.

I have to ask, what was the point of your comment?

Quote:
I also have to ask how in the world do you see the infighting between the 2 vocal groups of anime fans as any sort of logical conclusion to anything

Quote:
The infighting is simply the logical conclusion of people who'd rather not see Anime die in the US vs those who may or may not care.

When you have two vocal groups of the same community, one of whom pirates the product of that fandom whereas others are firmly against it, fighting is simply the logical conclusion. This is about as far as I am going in regards to the fansubb arguement though.

Quote:
There is a difference. Majority of fans are normal people who download and buy together in moderate amounts and go to conventions and all that warm fuzzy stuff. They aren't the fans that are the most vocal however

Ok, this is completely irrelevant to what was discussed in my previous post with Zac. It also has nothing to do with the context of my infighting comment considering I gave no definite number as to how many people were engaged in said conflict.

Quote:
And btw is there a problem with a guy writing poetry? (yes that's sarcasm btw)

I would hope so as the poetry comment was a joke.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I disagree that the middle of the road fans aren't vocal. I am vocal, ikillchicken is vocal.

I'm pretty sure Zac is talking about anime fandom in general, not a few specific threads in a forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11