• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-14]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
It might just be me but I think the OP listing in the thread is getting excessive. I know it was a question to Zac but seriously these constant lists of OP's are getting a bit excessive I think. Perhaps I'm just a cranky SOB.

I don't know, I think anything that isn't "industry vs. just about everything/anything else" talk is a welcome change.

But don't worry I am with you on the cranky part. Wink

Yea well we all knew that anyway so no big surprise right? Wink Guess I should take my place next to daxomni in a rocking chair heh.

Laughing
I just realized what I sounded like. And I should have wrote it, "Don't worry I am the same as you with the cranky part". As it is written, it sounds like I am just simply agreeing with you, but I intended to also include myself in that statement. Wink

Also, yay on the Haibane Renmei opening mention. I of course love that whole sequence, and it honestly almost brings a tear to my eye when I hear it. Those who have seen it may know what I am talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Xanas wrote:
I disagree that the middle of the road fans aren't vocal. I am vocal, ikillchicken is vocal.

I'm pretty sure Zac is talking about anime fandom in general, not a few specific threads in a forum.

I stopped giving a shit ages ago. I support the business by buying merchandise and telling people I know to pop on a station playing anime. If they won't buy the DVDs at least support what's broadcasted. I won't lie and say I don't DL shit like Turn A Gundam though. I prefer to buy things anyway because It gives me some delusion of independence.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Now, you're just arguing over semantics.

No I'm not, and saying so is just one of your typical blanket dismissals of a post that contradicts you. I can't deny, however, that a position that says "[term] does not apply, what's really happening is [behavior described by term]" certainly introduces semantic concerns.

Sorry, I forgot that we aren't allowed to dismiss a points as semantics despite the fact that even the poster admits they are semantics. What ever was I thinking?

Quote:
Actually, I'm quite familiar with a rather large group comprised of people that by and large tend to think exactly that, express it freely and vehemently, and consistently act on it.

Well, there are people who do think this. But no matter where you look you will find at least some people who are just idiots. By nature of the ridiculous and extreme nature of this view and the stupidity required to hold it these people tend to be the most vocal of fans and are constantly preaching their view. It might seem like there are a lot of them but in reality they are actually the minority.

Quote:
Be that as it may, whatever you thought your point was, what you were saying was that the term 'sense of entitlement' didn't apply to the majority of people who support copyright infringement via illegal downloading. That was patently false. There isn't a single argument in favor of such activity that doesn't have a "here is where the sense of entitlement kicks in" element to it.

No, that wasn't really what I was saying. I guess by choosing to put an extreme amount of emphasis on how I worded it you can interpret it that way though so whatever. If it makes you happy I admit you're technically right. However, I still stand by that they don't feel "entitled" in the traditional sense.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Sorry, I forgot that we aren't allowed to dismiss a points as semantics despite the fact that even the poster admits they are semantics. What ever was I thinking?

I don't know what you were thinking, but what you apparently actually forgot was that you had said "if you'd care to elaborate on that" in the process of disputing Garry's comment that your words were a "perfect description of a sense of entitlement." I'm not Garry, but I was capable of clarifying what you seemed to have difficulty seeing. Effectively asking how one set of words serves to describe another set of words is inviting a semantic discussion, so subsequently dismissing it as semantics is just a bit rude.

And while we are arguing semantics: "No I'm not" does not mean "yes I am".

Quote:
No, that wasn't really what I was saying. I guess by choosing to put an extreme amount of emphasis on how I worded it you can interpret it that way though so whatever. If it makes you happy I admit you're technically right. However, I still stand by that they don't feel "entitled" in the traditional sense.

Well, you are somewhat correct. The majority don't think they are entitled, but they do feel entitled (which is indeed the feeling that a "sense of entitlement" provides). That's just semantics again though, and even though you've used both 'feel' and 'think' (not interchangeable) I know what you meant (which was correct).

I just don't see how it matters.

The first person to bring up entitlement in this thread was Murasakisuishou, who said: "we've got tons of kids running around who think they're entitled to steal just because no one will do anything about it." This was obviously incorrect, because a moment's consideration reveals that thinking about entitlement doesn't happen. The difference between thinking that actual entitlement exists and merely feeling a sense of entitlement is huge when you are talking about the number of people that those terms can categorize.

But a simple mental substitution of the more correct words "feel" or "behave as if" for "think" renders the point a moot one, because the end result is effectively the same.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
I just don't see how it matters.

And thats the problem isn't it? Nobody can ever say anything in a fansub discussion without it being interpreted as either "Yeah! so fansubs are bad! Score one for the anti-fansubbers!" or "Yeah! so fansubs are okay! Score one for the pro-fansubbers!"

It was intended as nothing more than an observation about why people might think downloaders believe anime should be free.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
We can debate the Fansub issue into the ground but it won't solve the problem. The real issue here is that technology has outstripped the industry's business model. If people can get something for free rather than pay for it they will. It's human nature. Frankly, I think MANY more people actually download than admit to it openly. I love this industry and spend an absurd amount of my money supporting it but I can't just sit back and blame it's demise on the "evil" downloaders. Nothing is that simple. The times have changed and no amount of animosity on our part will mend the crack in the dam. Anime is being downloaded for free because it CAN be. People exploit the system because it is vulnerable to exploitation. That is the way of the world.

Technology changes industries all the time. It's happened time and again throughout history, with far more disasterous results than what we are seeing here. See the "industrial revolution." Every time, when things change in this manner companies shut down if they can't adapt, people loose their livelihoods and old timers rail helplessly against the tide. We don't have to like it, but we can't stop the flow. If the anime industry is to survive the new world of internet commerce they MUST find a way to adapt and exploit that new medium or they will fall by the wayside. Normally this comes as the result of a failure to keep up with competitors. I can't think of any industry that was actually undermined by it's product being offered for free so it's going to be exponentially more difficult.

The only real solution I can think of is for the anime companies to set up paid subscription services where, for a reasonable fee, fans can download their choice of shows. If they are limited in what they can watch they will find it elsewhere for free. If the fees are too outrageous they will find it elsewhere for free. A balance would need to be found wherein the company will still make a profit without alienating a fickle consumer base. Granted, there are still problems with the execution of this plan, but I can't think of anything more viable that would actually work. These companies have to compete with fansubbers who (generally) offer a comparable product at absolutely NO cost, with no wait time. They have to substantially close the gap between what their competition is offering and what THEY are offering. In short, they need to offer a multitude of cheap downloads within a much shorter time frame that are easily accessible and of comparable quality or they will lose to those who are already delivering this.
marklungo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Fresh baked Niea_7 Opening right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbSXOrmOoQ

I just watched it--and faved it. Thanks for the link!
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:

The only real solution I can think of is for the anime companies to set up paid subscription services where, for a reasonable fee, fans can download their choice of shows. If they are limited in what they can watch they will find it elsewhere for free. If the fees are too outrageous they will find it elsewhere for free. A balance would need to be found wherein the company will still make a profit without alienating a fickle consumer base. Granted, there are still problems with the execution of this plan, but I can't think of anything more viable that would actually work. These companies have to compete with fansubbers who (generally) offer a comparable product at absolutely NO cost, with no wait time. They have to substantially close the gap between what their competition is offering and what THEY are offering. In short, they need to offer a multitude of cheap downloads within a much shorter time frame that are easily accessible and of comparable quality or they will lose to those who are already delivering this.

Why can't licensing companies just smash down people's doors and fine fansubbers into the ground?

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying but I do think that some of the people watching streaming fansubs/downloading fansubs are simply lazy and make up excuses as to why they don't pay for a product. They don't find the discounts, they don't find this site, they just lurk around and get the morsels of info about different series from whatever forums they lurk around. For people like that, I'm sure some of them would still continue to watch fansubs for free, possibly almost all of them, while some people would spend the money and get a subscription to a legit service.

It will be interesting to see if the people who consume fansubs will actually pay to view stuff no matter how cheap.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:

Why can't licensing companies just smash down people's doors and fine fansubbers into the ground?

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying but I do think that some of the people watching streaming fansubs/downloading fansubs are simply lazy and make up excuses as to why they don't pay for a product. They don't find the discounts, they don't find this site, they just lurk around and get the morsels of info about different series from whatever forums they lurk around. For people like that, I'm sure some of them would still continue to watch fansubs for free, possibly almost all of them, while some people would spend the money and get a subscription to a legit service.

It will be interesting to see if the people who consume fansubs will actually pay to view stuff no matter how cheap.

I think you're totally correct that some people will always download for free if it's more convenient for them to do so, and right now it is. My fantasy would be a paid subscription site that has a massive library at our fingertips where we could sign up and easily find the latest shows, while still supporting the industry. If it was well done it could appeal to downloaders by making everything easily accessible all on one site, no more seaching for various titles. I think that MANY people would pay a moderate subscription fee for speed and convenience. Look at the sites that actually charge members to watch FANSUBS! Believe it or not people actually do PAY them for that service and these sites make money. Why? Because they are providing people with convenience. Sure, they could search around and find the stuff for free but its easier if someone has already made it simple. You're right, people ARE lazy and that's why they will pay someone to lay it out all nice and easy for them. I think it'd be brilliant if the Japanese companies tried this model and posted the free fansubs on their site. Let the fansubbers do all the work and then swipe them and profit from it. It's not like the fansubs are copyrighted. Just a thought.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11