• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite OPs has to be Tales of Agriculture. The use of CG and real settings definitely sets it apart from other show's OPs. And who can hate such adorable looking micro organisms?

Quote:
Anyone notice that 4 out of the 5 openings had no japanese lyrics (or features languages other than japanese prominently in the case of the GitS ones)?

Although I agree with the picks, especially with the western fandom, I wonder if there's some subtle bias westerners have with music they feel more "familiar" with?
People really liked the opening to Gunslinger Girl, as well, another english song.

I don't think it is bias, I just think that since most anime OPs are J-pop songs that are there to try and sell the music, it's just a nice change of pace for a show to have an original OP that isn't J-pop or even in Japanese.

Last edited by fokkusuhaundo on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Anyone notice that 4 out of the 5 openings had no japanese lyrics (or features languages other than japanese prominently in the case of the GitS ones)?

Although I agree with the picks, especially with the western fandom, I wonder if there's some subtle bias westerners have with music they feel more "familiar" with?
People really liked the opening to Gunslinger Girl, as well, another english song.

Personally, I think the best anime opening song has to be the opening to Zambot 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32JJ7O65nm0

Lol.
Personally, I like (in no order) Sobakasu from Rurouni Kenshin, Tales of Agriculture from Moyashimon, Europhic Fields from Ef- A Tale of Memories, Seishojo Ryoiki from Rozen Maiden, Bouken Bouken Desho from Haruhi
and lol, this one too.

(once you start, you really can't stop! Razz)

Last edited by CatzCradle on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
Oh man, thanks for bringing Lain back to the forefront of my brain again, Zac. It's been years since I've seen it last. & this of course made me realize that it was a Geneon title, which means I'm now forced to buy the boxset before it's all gone. $50 for a 13 episode series, god dammit....

Incidentally, I'm also faced with the same problem of having to buy the Girls Bravo boxset as well. XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
Well, to be more serious, I think my top 5 might be (in no particular order):

Platinum, third opening to Card Captor Sakura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMD15HpjPDU

Rinbu Revolution, opening to Revolution Girl Utena:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk6WnpW7yzI

Asu e no Brilliant Road, Opening to Uchuu no Stelvia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEIaFMJIkaE

Scarlet, Ayashi no Ceres:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eT93VfdmEg&feature=related

And my newest favorite, Uninstall from Bokurano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05p646nlYS0
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I have to disagree with the notion that Anime fans can be lumped together into two groups. There is simply too much diversity. I buy all the Anime DVDs I can, spending a huge amount of my disposable income. But I only got into Anime in the last 2 and-a-half years, well inside most peoples' definitions of a "new breed of fan"

Yeah, I have to agree. I could actually find myself in both camps abit: I do buy manga and other assorted items to support the rebel....erm, I mean industry, but I download fansubs because....well, nobody has released that particular anime stateside!! And the latest offerings have been pretty lackluster, ergo I haven't bought new DVD's in a while.

Sti
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Turkishproverb wrote:
Really the Anti-fansub groups tend to be alot less reasonable than you made it out to be.

Yes, how dare companies demand that we pay for their products! They should created products for absolutely no profit! Stupid, unreasonable anti-fansub people and their capitalism!

Lol.

See, you're doing the exact same thing as Zac sort of did except much worse. It's easy to portray one side as ridiculous if you hand pick the absolute worst examples of the opposition and say it in a way that makes it sound as bad as possible. Watch, I can do it too in reverse:

Yes, how dare people not just wait for several years for anime to come out here. They should not watch fansubs even if they would buy every single thing on DVD as soon as it comes out here because even though doing so would mean not the slightest bit of harm was done, I think it's morally wrong and so they should all think so to!

It's bad enough that we already have people stupid enough to believe such extreme views on both sides. But no, thats not enough, we've got a bunch of others who need to perpetuate they idea that everyone on the opposition is a crazy extremist. This is one of the reasons why we have this stupid divide in the first place.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
I do love your OP picks Zac. A couple more I would add are The Light Before We Land by the Delgados for Gunslinger Girl and kiri by MONORAL for Ergo Proxy. The visuals shown during Ergo's OP in concert with the music always put me in the perfect mood to enjoy the episodes. Add to that 5.1 surround and it is just,"Oh Wow!"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Turkishproverb wrote:
Really the Anti-fansub groups tend to be alot less reasonable than you made it out to be.

Yes, how dare companies demand that we pay for their products! They should created products for absolutely no profit! Stupid, unreasonable anti-fansub people and their capitalism!

Lol.

See, you're doing the exact same thing as Zac sort of did except much worse. It's easy to portray one side as ridiculous if you hand pick the absolute worst examples of the opposition and say it in a way that makes it sound as bad as possible. Watch, I can do it too in reverse:

Yes, how dare people not just wait for several years for anime to come out here. They should not watch fansubs even if they would buy every single thing on DVD as soon as it comes out here because even though doing so would mean not the slightest bit of harm was done, I think it's morally wrong and so they should all think so to!

It's bad enough that we already have people stupid enough to believe such extreme views on both sides. But no, thats not enough, we've got a bunch of others who need to perpetuate they idea that everyone on the opposition is a crazy extremist. This is one of the reasons why we have this stupid divide in the first place.

This isn't about waiting for licensing. This is about people downloading shows that have already been licensed. It's happening all the time.

Licensing, subbing, dubbing, packaging, marketing - it takes time. It takes however long it takes. You should WANT to wait, because then you get a higher quality product. You can't get that with speedsubbing and speedy delivery.

Deciding that downloading fansubs is preferrable to waiting for a show to be available on DVD is like preferring McDonald's to a gourmet meal. No, it's worse - fast food requires you to pay for it. It's more like eating the thrown away scraps from the garbage next to McDonald's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
I like the Answerfans question. I remember getting into Pokemon TEN YEARS AGO! And then I started Digimon and then I discovered Tenchi Muyo! on Toonami. Ah, those were the days!

I read part of the first Answerfans letter, and as a yaoi fan, I am put off. I like yaoi, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the characters I'm a fan of. I'm only into yaoi because I started pairing up the guy characters in anime I liked because I hated the girls and thought the boys would make a good couple. Hell, I'm sure there are a lot of Japanese anime fans who are just as unappreciative as the person claims American fans can be.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You should WANT to wait.

Lol. Very Happy

If there was a way to obtain legal subs of these shows shortly after their broadcast in Japan, I would go for it even if the quality is the same as that of fansubs. But I would rather not have to wait several months before finally getting my hands on it.
Mr Blister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
What, no shout-outs for the Gunslinger Girl OP? Gorgeous, just...wow.

Fansubbing is illegal, and I don't care to do anything illegal. There's no such thing as a free lunch (or episode of Super Magical Lolichan Go!! as it were), people.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Licensing, subbing, dubbing, packaging, marketing - it takes time. It takes however long it takes. You should WANT to wait, because then you get a higher quality product. You can't get that with speedsubbing and speedy delivery.

But several years to do that? Even Korean Dramas are getting cranked out faster than the Koreans can spit them out!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

But several years to do that? Even Korean Dramas are getting cranked out faster than the Koreans can spit them out!!

How many titles go years between licensing and release these days?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Turkishproverb wrote:

Lol.

This isn't about waiting for licensing. This is about people downloading shows that have already been licensed. It's happening all the time.

But...If thats not the stance of every single anti-fansubber...how could I possibly use it as an example to invalidate anti-fansubber's arguments? That would be just silly right? It would mean I was just taking the most silly and irrelevant opinions I could find and acting like all anti-fansubbers thought that and therefore they were all idiots. Again though, that would be just silly. It would be like...I dunno...acting like all pro-fansubbers think anime should be free and then going: What idiots! Lol. Obviously that would be just ridiculous though.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

How many titles go years between licensing and release these days?

Stupid Writers Strike.....greedy bastards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11