• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Double Dip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
I really didn't like how Brian decided Hitman Reborn and Hanasaku Iroha are not good DVD titles. I mean, sure Reborn has more than 200 episodes, but so are Bleach, Naruto and One Piece and they work just fine. On top of that, if you release the series on BD you can cram 25 episode on a single disc and advance in huge chunks - something all those other shounen series could not achieve due to technological limitations of DVDs at the time they were released. And Hanasaku Iroha? I can see Nozomi snatching this title pretty soon. It fits their marketing strategy and will look natural next to Aria and Sora no Woto. It has a huge fan base (don't know why Brian acknowledge that fact and then decides the fan base will not buy it). On second though I hope Sentai will release it because they do BD releases and Hanasaku Iroha should be released on BD.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
On top of that, if you release the series on BD you can cram 25 episode on a single disc and advance in huge chunks - something all those other shounen series could not achieve due to technological limitations of DVDs at the time they were released.

Wow, are people still using this idea of simply dropping a ton of episodes on a BD? No company is going to do that. They've been asked before, and they will not do it. Even Hollywood isn't doing this, and that should say something.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Wow, are people still using this idea of simply dropping a ton of episodes on a BD? No company is going to do that. They've been asked before, and they will not do it. Even Hollywood isn't doing this, and that should say something.

I think it's important to describe why that's (likely) not going to happen, though.

There are two main reasons:

(1) Price for the episodes
Simply put, there is far more money to be made the first run through in charging $35 for 17 episodes of DBZ on Blu-ray than there is for charging $35 for 40 episodes. The film was already paid for, sure (they used it to make the orange bricks in 2007), but now there are whole new products and processes being paid for that need to be recouped (&TRANSFER's second digital transfer of the film and coloring adjustment, the new Image Systems hardware FUNimation purchased, etc.). Make no mistake, it will almost certainly come out in "season" packs doubling up the episode count and reducing the price down the line, but that's then -- this is now.

(2) SD vs HD compression
Sure, you can dump a buttload of SD content onto even a single-layer Blu-ray disc, but that's not what's happening here. These are genuinely high-def-ified episodes. It takes redonkulous more disc space to hold and properly compress these episodes than it did on the Dragon Box, not to mention the lossless audio that's coming alongside it in three audio tracks. I've seen folks say, yeah, just toss 25 episodes onto a disc. In HD? With multiple audio tracks? That's... possible, but they're going to look like garbage. In SD? Sure, that's possible (you can absolutely master a Blu-ray with nothing but 480p video if you really want to), but then you cycle back to the first point about episodes <-> cost <-> profit margins, and then (for the time being), it's cheaper to go the SD production route (DVD) with SD material.

And that's for anime when they're sub-licensing it through some other owner. That's as opposed to the Hollywood example where they outright own the whole darn production beginning to end, and they're still not dumping 25+ episodes in SD on a Blu-ray.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

I think it's important to describe why that's (likely) not going to happen, though.

There are two main reasons:

(1) Price for the episodes
Simply put, there is far more money to be made the first run through in charging $35 for 17 episodes of DBZ on Blu-ray than there is for charging $35 for 40 episodes. The film was already paid for, sure (they used it to make the orange bricks in 2007), but now there are whole new products and processes being paid for that need to be recouped (&TRANSFER's second digital transfer of the film and coloring adjustment, the new Image Systems hardware FUNimation purchased, etc.). Make no mistake, it will almost certainly come out in "season" packs doubling up the episode count and reducing the price down the line, but that's then -- this is now.

(2) SD vs HD compression
Sure, you can dump a buttload of SD content onto even a single-layer Blu-ray disc, but that's not what's happening here. These are genuinely high-def-ified episodes. It takes redonkulous more disc space to hold and properly compress these episodes than it did on the Dragon Box, not to mention the lossless audio that's coming alongside it in three audio tracks. I've seen folks say, yeah, just toss 25 episodes onto a disc. In HD? With multiple audio tracks? That's... possible, but they're going to look like garbage. In SD? Sure, that's possible (you can absolutely master a Blu-ray with nothing but 480p video if you really want to), but then you cycle back to the first point about episodes <-> cost <-> profit margins, and then (for the time being), it's cheaper to go the SD production route (DVD) with SD material.

And that's for anime when they're sub-licensing it through some other owner. That's as opposed to the Hollywood example where they outright own the whole darn production beginning to end, and they're still not dumping 25+ episodes in SD on a Blu-ray.

Good points, but the whole "dumping episodes onto a BD" post was regarding Reborn, not DBZ on BD. Also, if DBZ was to have 40 episodes on one BD, they would never charge $35 for it, so I don't know where you thought up that figurative price.

But, still, you brought up good points.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Good points, but the whole "dumping episodes onto a BD" post was regarding Reborn, not DBZ on BD.

Well, the responder went on to list a bunch of other shonen titles, so I brought in another shonen title that was actively being discussed in the column and thread -- one that seemed relevant to the conversation and one I know about.

Lord Geo wrote:
Also, if DBZ was to have 40 episodes on one BD, they would never charge $35 for it, so I don't know where you thought up that figurative price.

That was exactly my point -- it *is* coming out on Blu-ray, and it's *not* at that price point. MSRP is $34.95 for 17 episodes (on two discs).

However, if you go by the track record for the show, two years down the road the show will likely be collected in a pack that doubles its episodes for roughly the same price, or perhaps only slightly more. That's what's going on with Kai right now on both DVD *and* Blu-ray. Original Blu-ray MSRP for 13-episode volume one was $49.98. The "season" collection combining the first two parts (26 episodes total) is coming out at an only-slighty-more MSRP of $54.98.

The point there was the cost/episode ratio, and how there's more money to be made up front, then recoup even more with collections down the road... but... again... all common sense Smile.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
I really didn't like how Brian decided Hitman Reborn and Hanasaku Iroha are not good DVD titles. I mean, sure Reborn has more than 200 episodes, but so are Bleach, Naruto and One Piece and they work just fine.

Reborn ALSO got its release halted by Viz and shows no signs of starting again, and I don't recall it ever making the weekly top 10 best-selling manga list, whereas Naruto and Bleach constantly make the list and One Piece shows up occasionally as well. I'd like to see Reborn on DVD as well, but I'm not holding my breath. Sentai hasn't licensed any more Gintama episodes yet so there's another long-runner that may have been halted, and in terms of FUNi they recently got the more recent Fairy Tail, which makes me think it's unlikely they'll get an older long-runner if they just got a newer one.

And no, you cannot cram 25 episodes into a single BR disc. That would result in some of the worst video quality ever, if they could even fit period.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
Shocked David the Gnome was a Spanish animation, not an anime. Embarassed

I assumed it was French but it makes more sense that it was Spanish, since the person claimed to be from a Spanish-language quiz show. My guess is he added it in as a joke or nod to the intended audience.
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a double dipper, there are only two series I have ever double dipped on. One of them being Utena and the other being EVA. In both of their cases they were series that I loved that got pretty significant remasters so I felt it was worth it. Now I do think that Funimation's 80 million rereleases of Dragonball has gotten pretty silly (I do own the whole series from the first round of uncut remastered season boxsets), but if they're selling, by all means keep rereleasing them! If Dragonball is helping keep Funimation afloat then I don't mind.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
And no, you cannot cram 25 episodes into a single BR disc. That would result in some of the worst video quality ever, if they could even fit period.

A Blu-ray disc should hold about five times the data that a DVD does, and the Blu-ray specification allows for standard definition content. Given that DVDs with six or seven episodes each are not uncommon, you should be able to fit 25 standard definition episodes onto a single BR disc, and get better video quality than a typical VHS tape. Much better video quality than some of the VHS tapes put out by public-domain houses on extra-long-play speed that I have seen.
I agree that such a thing would be a commercial failure -- people wouldn't accept a Blu-ray release without high-definition content.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
While I do agree that a release for Bunny Drop is very likely, given that attention it has received, I am pretty sure it is over. Unless, of course, I missed a second season being announced somewhere. The first one is definitely done though.

I agree. I would love to hear that they are making more, but I haven't seen any evidence of it...
N.R. wrote:
Hanasaku Iroha? I can see Nozomi snatching this title pretty soon. It fits their marketing strategy and will look natural next to Aria and Sora no Woto. It has a huge fan base (don't know why Brian acknowledge that fact and then decides the fan base will not buy it). On second though I hope Sentai will release it because they do BD releases and Hanasaku Iroha should be released on BD.

I can see this! It definitely fits Nozomi's mold and I would proudly put a BD release of Hanasaku Iroha next to my Sound of the Sky DVD set. I would add that Zakuro is another show that fits the Nozomi mold and I would soooo love it if that came out on a nice BD so I could see Lily's lovely characters in 1080p gloriousness! It would be bewitching!
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Reborn on DVD I'd love to have in America...but I know it's a fleeting dream that is never going to happen. That's why I stopped supporting any company besides Bandai and Sentai (the ones who get the good stuff) and use my remaining money to import the 400 dollar Japanese boxsets of it. Razz

America's loss. I would pay any price if they released it on DVD in America...but they won't. I was ready to buy 3 copies of each release too. Oh well.

Also planning to import the Taiwan editions too. because I wanna hear the seiyuus speak Mandarin.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
If I could send an axe to series right now it would definently be Bleach. The series had no business spoiler[going on after Aizen was defeated] and everything afterwards has been disappointing. As a fan I have to say that Bleach has gotten me to a point where I almost completely despise it, and it's sad to feel that way about a series I used to really like.

I think a lot of people would pick Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece because they're so long running. Bleach really does look like it's finished, although the current arc (in the anime) is more interesting than I thought it would be. There is something refreshing about not having the Soul Society popping up all the time and Ichigo not developing ridiculous amounts of power. But I would like to see an end it it.

Naruto appears to be in the middle of a "One Piece" filler arc right now but it's obviously got a little ways to go before it's reached it's end. However I wouldn't mind the show taking a break the way it did between the original series and the current one. I can't say I want it to end right away but I would like to see them get on with the story. At this rate they seem to be waiting until everyone looses interest.

And I should add that I know Odin, Crystal Triangle and Harmageddon are considered bad which why I mentioned them.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think a lot of people would pick Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece because they're so long running. Bleach really does look like it's finished, although the current arc (in the anime) is more interesting than I thought it would be. There is something refreshing about not having the Soul Society popping up all the time and Ichigo not developing ridiculous amounts of power. But I would like to see an end it it.

Naruto appears to be in the middle of a "One Piece" filler arc right now but it's obviously got a little ways to go before it's reached it's end. However I wouldn't mind the show taking a break the way it did between the original series and the current one. I can't say I want it to end right away but I would like to see them get on with the story. At this rate they seem to be waiting until everyone looses interest.

I just want to make it known that I;m not picking on Bleach because it;s long running. I read a lot of long running shonen titles like Naruto. One Piece, Fairy Tail, Reborn, etc. I just really feel as though Bleach has gone downhill, and on a consistent downhill whereas other shonen I read just kind of have their up and down moments.

I;m irritated with the Naruto anime at the moment as well, but I understand why their going into so much filler since spoiler[the manga is in it;s last arc and once the anime heads there it wouldn't be feasable to thrown in filler]
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I hate that some companies don't rerelease some shows on bluray, especially when some of the shows have actual HD versions. Code Geass is still only offered in a set by Bandai as 6 not-greatly encoded disks shoved into one dvd case. And Haruhi is still in dvd form with the only way to watch in your own viewing order between seasons being to switch disks after each episode. I would buy the blurays in a heartbeat if Bandai released them.
I actually emailed them about putting out blurays of some shows like Haruhi, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann. They said they had no plans to. -.- Hopefully they will... some day.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Reborn ALSO got its release halted by Viz and shows no signs of starting again, and I don't recall it ever making the weekly top 10 best-selling manga list, whereas Naruto and Bleach constantly make the list and One Piece shows up occasionally as well. I'd like to see Reborn on DVD as well, but I'm not holding my breath. Sentai hasn't licensed any more Gintama episodes yet so there's another long-runner that may have been halted, and in terms of FUNi they recently got the more recent Fairy Tail, which makes me think it's unlikely they'll get an older long-runner if they just got a newer one.

Wasn't Reborn unsuccessful because of the bad translation (hearsay, I haven't actually read it). I hope that's not the case for Gintama because that is my favourite show! I'm even importing it Anime cry

Everyone and their cat and dog are complaining about Bleach but I still enjoy it. Sure it's not as good at the Soul Society arc in terms of plot structure, but it's still a lot of fun and nice to look at. I hope VIZ do a speed up release for the manga, it's so hard trying to avoid spoilers >.< I basically have to run way any time someone brings up Bleach or One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3