• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Double Dip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:

Wasn't Reborn unsuccessful because of the bad translation (hearsay, I haven't actually read it).

It is true. I go to the reborn community all the time and 90% of the fans refuse to buy it because of the horrible translations and would rather import the Japanese versions and read scanlations.

Lemme give you some examples:

"Holy ham on rye with kraute!"

"Well, blow me sideways!"

"Ain't that darn tootin'!"

"Crimey!"

"Holy Hats!"

"That bazooka's gone hinky!"

And....do I need to even post more?

Don't even get my started on the stupid puns and name errors.

"He's the strongest, the Cloud Guardian, Hibari Kyosuke!" (His name is Hibari Kyoya)

"He's the owner of the yellow pacifier, Mammon!" (When on the cover and Anime and Japanese it's Indigo)
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Rolando_jose wrote:
Shocked David the Gnome was a Spanish animation, not an anime. Embarassed

I assumed it was French but it makes more sense that it was Spanish, since the person claimed to be from a Spanish-language quiz show. My guess is he added it in as a joke or nod to the intended audience.

Or maybe he didn't knew.... Wink
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
After reading the first volume of Princess Knight I think that it is a perfect gateway manga for newer fans that are reluctant to try out an older series.

It has all the hallmarks of things that fangirls like nowadays. Crossdressing, drama, angst, girl falling in love, action, adventure.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of Ouran Host Club. And I think those fans that like modern shojo would enjoy Princess Knight.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I hate that some companies don't rerelease some shows on bluray, especially when some of the shows have actual HD versions.

I generally agree... I haven't purchased Gundam 00 (and others) because it's an HD show with BD masters. If it's an HD show with a good HD release somewhere, I want it on HD media. I've broken that rule of mine once or twice (Sora no Woto comes to mind, but I had imported the Japanese BDs, and I grant Nozomi a waiver because they have such great quality DVD sets).

Quote:
And Haruhi is still in dvd form with the only way to watch in your own viewing order between seasons being to switch disks after each episode. I would buy the blurays in a heartbeat if Bandai released them.

Amazon's got the Blu-ray set at 40% off right at the moment. That's at least 10% better than when I bought it (if not 13-14%), although the difference in exchange rates between then and now has probably wiped out the benefit of the greater discount.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:

Wasn't Reborn unsuccessful because of the bad translation (hearsay, I haven't actually read it).

It is true. I go to the reborn community all the time and 90% of the fans refuse to buy it because of the horrible translations and would rather import the Japanese versions and read scanlations.

Another reason why it will never get licensed.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
/B003UTS85C]Amazon's[/url] got the Blu-ray set at 40% off right at the moment. That's at least 10% better than when I bought it (if not 13-14%), although the difference in exchange rates between then and now has probably wiped out the benefit of the greater discount.

I'm still annoyed that much of it just doesn't get brought to America. I wouldn't mind importing too much despite the costs, but I wonder if it has English subs; I doubt many do. My Japanese is not too great yet. Thank you for telling me about that though.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
/B003UTS85C]Amazon's[/url] got the Blu-ray set at 40% off right at the moment. That's at least 10% better than when I bought it (if not 13-14%), although the difference in exchange rates between then and now has probably wiped out the benefit of the greater discount.

I'm still annoyed that much of it just doesn't get brought to America. I wouldn't mind importing too much despite the costs, but I wonder if it has English subs; I doubt many do. My Japanese is not too great yet. Thank you for telling me about that though.

The Japanese BD release of Haruhi come with English subtitles if I'm not mistaken, so no need to polish your Japanese.

And to all those who replied to my prior post saying "there is no sense in releasing SD on BD", there is no HD source for Reborn (as far as I know). So why not release a BD with 20 or so episodes in SD quality? It will probably be cheaper than releasing it on 5 DVDs with 5 boxes.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

The Japanese BD release of Haruhi come with English subtitles if I'm not mistaken, so no need to polish your Japanese.

Subs AND dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:

No, the fans are more than willing to buy the official English release....if Viz wasn't so half-ass about it. By printing such horrible translations, the fans take it as, "This is good enough for you, so buy it and deal with it" which they will not. If one wants to compete against scanlations, do a better job than those scanlations. They do a worst job, so therefore, why should fans pay for something that is inferior to something that they can get for free or for less? Japanese Manga cost 5 dollars less than American Manga and it's supporting Japan directly. If I were a fan, that would be the better deal there. I'm actually importing the Japanese books because Viz won't release anymore english volumes.

Viz is just a terrible company and needs to get off their high horse and listen to the fans if they want their support.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:

No, the fans are more than willing to buy the official English release....if Viz wasn't so half-ass about it. By printing such horrible translations, the fans take it as, "This is good enough for you, so buy it and deal with it" which they will not. If one wants to compete against scanlations, do a better job than those scanlations. They do a worst job, so therefore, why should fans pay for something that is inferior to something that they can get for free or for less? Japanese Manga cost 5 dollars less than American Manga and it's supporting Japan directly. If I were a fan, that would be the better deal there. I'm actually importing the Japanese books because Viz won't release anymore english volumes.

Viz is just a terrible company and needs to get off their high horse and listen to the fans if they want their support.

You're right about that. If fans don't like the way something is presented, then they can let their wallet do the talking. But, I completely doubt that 90% of the American fandom of Reborn are importing the Japanese releases like you claimed. I have no doubt that they're reading scans, but I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the people you think are importing actually are.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:

Or maybe he didn't knew.... Wink

In Spain, like in many other countries, "anime = cartoon = for kids". Ergo, if David the gnome is a cartoon, then it's anime. Wink

Oh, well, the flake was quite... curious, oh, and I praise Answerman for knowing the right answer Very Happy (here you got the "original" opening)
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:

And to all those who replied to my prior post saying "there is no sense in releasing SD on BD", there is no HD source for Reborn (as far as I know). So why not release a BD with 20 or so episodes in SD quality? It will probably be cheaper than releasing it on 5 DVDs with 5 boxes.

Awesome, thanks. Though, there is still some reason for some to get blurays. DVDs can be compressed like hell, so while even if it is still SD on bluray it can be better quality, since it can mean less artifacts and noise. That isn't always the case, but it can be.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I also have mixed feelings about double dipping. I know a lot of fans want to see their favorite anime in the best possible quality money can buy and are willing to pay for it with hard cold cash but it does seem like a numbers game. Titles get stream so fans can become interested in seeing the series or shows then the DVD's come out and then later, much later the Blu Ray Discs or in some cases combo packs containing both the DVD/BD. Which may be good for some who have BD players but not everyone does.
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate to admit it, Brian's right about Erin

It's a shame because that series is one of the best I've ever seen Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3