• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unread topics getting marked as read

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rage-demon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed lately that a lot of topics are being marked read before I’ve even seen the subject. Just today when I went to the Retail section for the first time, all but the top 2 were marked as already having being read. This has been happening throughout the forums here.

I know this isn't too big of a problem, but it does make it hard to find new posts and replies to older ones (especially since the forums no longer have the "time since last post".) Any fix to this would be appreciated Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
This is actually a "feature" of PHPBB2. All thread are marked read when you log out, it is assumed that if you didn't read them before logging out, you didn't want to read them.

Personally I don't like how PHPBB handles this, I'd much rather they remain flagged, but be allowed to mark threads that I'm not interested in.

Unfortunately this is too much of a hack for us to do, so we're leaving it as it is.

-t
rage-demon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Ok, well apperently part of the problem is that the site has been locking up and giving me either "this page cannot be displayed" or some other error. I guess this kicks me out and marks everything as read. But it still feels like some of the posts are getting marked while i'm still logged on and before i even read them.

I'll admit that it might just be me, but i do know that the very first time i logged on after the "Retail" section was added, all but 2 topics were marked as read. That section didn't even exist before then so it didn't seem right that it had been marked as read.

Let's hope this little problem will go away when the new server is up and running. Wink

***Note***
Even as i attempted to post this message i recieved a "could not connect to data base" and was kicked off. *sigh* Well it's still one of the best forums out there (and no, i'm not being sarcastic, i've seen much worse)
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
I have the same setting topics as read, but it doesn't happen when I log out. In fact I never log in or out. The topics seem to mark themselves as read fairly randomly for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1