• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
It might be something to be concerned about but it does say it's the Region 1 release. Which if you live in the UK may or may not be something you could play. What is £18 anyway, like $25? RightStuf is selling it for $30, so that lends some credibility. 0 feedback is a little worrying too, but it just may be some regular guy that decided to sell his discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sk1199

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
Write him and ask him point blank who the manufacturer is. Then keep the response. Pay him only via Paypal and you should be OK.
If it turns out that he lied about the manufacturer then you can show Paypal his response to your query and claim that he sold you a product with a material difference and that you are entitled to a full refund.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120760214553&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_500wt_1114

Should I be suspicious of this listing? £18 seems awfully cheap, and the seller has zero feedback.

£18 is about $30 US, which is what it's going for on RightStuf's website: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/wdM-5mpUdHNHG3tABT/browse/item/83642/4/0/0 and they're the publisher of it, so price seems ok.

I'd be more worried about 0 feedback. I've gotten burned enough times on anime DVDs on Ebay. Is there a more legit shipper you can buy from who'll ship to or inside the UK?
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
st_owly wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120760214553&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_500wt_1114

Should I be suspicious of this listing? £18 seems awfully cheap, and the seller has zero feedback.

£18 is about $30 US, which is what it's going for on RightStuf's website: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/wdM-5mpUdHNHG3tABT/browse/item/83642/4/0/0 and they're the publisher of it, so price seems ok.

I'd be more worried about 0 feedback. I've gotten burned enough times on anime DVDs on Ebay. Is there a more legit shipper you can buy from who'll ship to or inside the UK?

I have "Kare Kano" saved as favourite search on eBay, and this is the only DVD set that's ever come up. I'm going to follow sk1199's advice and ask him who the manufacturer is. What's the correct answer, for future reference?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The publisher is Rightstuf. It is a pre Nozomi title of theirs. By the way, the official English title is : "His and Her Circumstances" which may be why your search hasn't turned up much.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure, but I think seller "dvdsdoneright" on amazon is a bootlegger. Hard for me to tell from the feedback, I possibly found one comment out of several hundreds that it might have indicated it was a copy. I wish there was a way to just show the negative reviews. I see an excel saga box set for $16 new, used is ~$20.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I have a puzzled query.
About these "Animage Diamond Series" Sailor Moon sets.
They're just recent entries in the long series of Sailor Moon boots, right? But how can they use the Animage name like that?
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
If they were bootlegs, you would think they would be a lot cheaper.
Though IIRC the official sets were only subtitled, and did not have a dub for the uncut versions, so that is a bit of a red flag. Since the only dub version I am aware of is the old DIC version that was edited.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Yes, that would indeed be a nasty red flag. Though actually what that set includes is separate box sets for the re-edited, English dubbed versions and the uncut subbed versions of each of Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R. And the uncut subbed box sets for the rest of the series. So nothing that doesn't/shouldn't exist.
There's no way it isn't a boot, surely, but it resembles very closely what an ideal release would be like (short of recording new dubs etc.).

But as you say Eric it is oddly expensive --- and what is the Animage name doing on it? It seems like a strange beast.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if someone can help me? I bought a copy of Professor Pain on ebay and I think it might be a bootleg. The images on the cover art looks a little blurry. The image on the top of the dvd itself is really shiny kind of like the way animeworks does theirs sometimes. I've looked at all of the other Anime18 releases I have and none of the cover art images are that blurry nor are the images on the top of the dvd's that shiny. Also, there is not an IFPI number on the back of the disc.

This is the link to the auction page. http://cgi.ebay.com/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&item=230735821949&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Judge Of Toyama wrote:
I'm wondering if someone can help me? I bought a copy of Professor Pain on ebay and I think it might be a bootleg. The images on the cover art looks a little blurry. The image on the top of the dvd itself is really shiny kind of like the way animeworks does theirs sometimes. I've looked at all of the other Anime18 releases I have and none of the cover art images are that blurry nor are the images on the top of the dvd's that shiny. Also, there is not an IFPI number on the back of the disc.

This is the link to the auction page. http://cgi.ebay.com/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&item=230735821949&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Not to worry, it is legit. A bootleg never looks exactly like the official release plus the distributor is credited on the case in the picture (which bootlegs fail to include on their sets).

Hope this helps. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
A bootleg never looks exactly like the official release plus the distributor is credited on the case in the picture (which bootlegs fail to include on their sets).
Not true, actually.
I had an astounding experience with a DVD set that was a very careful replica of the newer (blue and gold) Disney release for Totoro. (I described it earlier in this thread, I think.) It was very hard to spot, even when compared side by side with the genuine article.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if I can post photos on here or do I need to link to them?
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, the way is to link.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I've put a few pictures on photobucket. I don't know if you can tell anything from looking at them but, to me everything about it looks as if someone scanned the images from the original for the cover art and the dvd cover.

Here is the link http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/JudgeOfToyama/?start=all
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 33