• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: The Brave and the Old

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:

Also I have to take exception to V's comments about Shinji/Rei shippers as a Shinji/Rei shipper.

Quote:
"I always knew that you were a God-damned Rei shipper!"

-- Hitler, "Hitler Hears About Rebuild of Evangelion" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll2nQ-C6TL4 )

Also: Hitler Hears About Rebuild of Evangelion, part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tqxhU0fYqc

Why do you ship Shinji/Rei? I mean what's the attraction/rational of shipping that romantic pairing?
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
attraction/rational of shipping that romantic pairing

Identification with one character and attraction towards the other. I imagine that is true for any kind of shipping.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Fairy tail doesn't copy the design from One Piece. 90% of the characters design and art are from Rave Master.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about incredulously - if you look at Fairy Tail's art and don't think "Eiichiro Oda" your eyes are broken. I'm fully aware of Rave Master and when I first saw that years ago it looked like a One Piece rip as well, although not as direct. Over the years his style basically evolved directly in to "that looks exactly like One Piece". It's kind of ridiculous.

I don't think is ridiculous because I watched alot of anime. Alot of people have similar style.(not just fairy tail vs One piece.) I though the Fairy Tail artist's style is always like this from very beginning.
http://static.zerochan.net/full/21/31/41571.jpg

Actually the one piece art wasn't that good at the beginning. You can look the character design for Nami from vol 1 to 10, then it suddenly changed in the middle. After the timeskip, she looks like Lucy now.

I think if you are going to accuse of someone copy/steal art style, more research needed to be done. The time line on each artists style is very important. Of course, i don't have time to do the research.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Zac wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Fairy tail doesn't copy the design from One Piece. 90% of the characters design and art are from Rave Master.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about incredulously - if you look at Fairy Tail's art and don't think "Eiichiro Oda" your eyes are broken. I'm fully aware of Rave Master and when I first saw that years ago it looked like a One Piece rip as well, although not as direct. Over the years his style basically evolved directly in to "that looks exactly like One Piece". It's kind of ridiculous.

I don't think is ridiculous because I watched alot of anime. Alot of people have similar style.(not just fairy tail vs One piece.) I though the Fairy Tail artist's style is always like this from very beginning.
http://static.zerochan.net/full/21/31/41571.jpg

And Zac doesn't? I'm not really following the logic there.

I watch a lot of anime too and it's pretty rare for me to think that one style looks just like the other, but I do when it comes to Fairy Tale and One Piece.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Looks like a "no hotlinking" image to me.

I don't particularly care about either One Piece or Fairy Tail, but when I picked up Fairy Tail and started reading it, before I checked who the mangaka was, I thought they were written by the same person.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
After hearing what Zack had to say about the DBZ Blu Ray, I am a little more interested in them. I may look for a few more opinions on them before buying any.

One title that the ending ruined it for me was Nana. I started to really like the series and just couldn't watch it fast enough. When I finally got to the ending, it just left me with a sour taste. The ending for Honey and Clover almost made me feel that way but, the characters in the show were just too funny and made it impossible for me to hate it no matter what happened.

George in the podcast talked about a few series that he thought were good but might be a little underappreciated or obscure like Justin has done with buried treasure/garbage. They said the series that were released didn't sell well and the ones that were not did not stand a chance. This got me to wondering if someone were to try and release some old and/or obscure 1-2 episode ova's could it be profitable enough to work? I know there are a lot of them I would buy if they could be released.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
Paraphrasing magic:
V wrote:
I am totally against people dividing fandoms! Divisions are wrong!

V wrote:
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE FALSE PEOPLE, ONLY I AM RIGHT!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

While i would have to agree that Mashima art does look like oda's and theres no denying that i would have to disagree with that last statement somewhat because since the start of Fairy Tail, mashima's art has continued to change to the point where it is now where the only character that looks like a one piece character would be Natsu himself. At the start of its run it definitely does look like he's aping Oda's style but with what his art look like now i would have to disagree (this is because while it does still look similar to one piece, he at least adds his own style on top of it to make it look less whimsical but still look dynamic) and as well as that i think despite you not having liked the first couple of episodes to at least try and get past episode 5 because while the show is passable at the start the only thing that kept me watching was the introduction of the Erza character who is quite interesting in and of herself because she adds a level of maturity that the series would have not had without her and keeps everything from getting too stupid.

Another point i wish to make is why i think the series has garnered so many fans up to this point and that would be because the protagonists don't start off being whiny little bitches like other series I've watched *cough reborn cough* and also because they don't have to do any time consuming training and instead just use their already established abilities in different ways which i think is something thats also borrowed from one piece. that is at least why i keep watching and also because its not as irritating as Bleach and Naruto have become (I so hope this doesn't come off sounding conceited because thats not what i'm trying to sound like but it might because thats just the way i write).
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Why do you ship Shinji/Rei? I mean what's the attraction/rational of shipping that romantic pairing?[/quote][/quote]

Mostly I ship Shinji an Rei because their the two most alike emotionally.
One could also argue that the whole original reason Shinji pilots Eva is to spare Rei andby inference that could be the main reason with the explanation of him doing it to earn his Father's praise being a lame cover up because Shinji being Shinji he's not going to admit in front of the girl he likes "oh I'm doing this all for you."

When she's right their not to mention as early as the second or third episode Kensuke and Toji are already giving him grief about "checking out" Rei. Not to mention the whole part where he saves her from the unit's capsule, cleans her apartment (This causes her to blush profusely at the time.)

I realize most of this could be me just "reading into" subtext that isn't their but that' pretty much why or my case for why I ship Shinji and Rei. Also thanks for hearing me out instead of just pulling some random qoute from the Manga or just arguing Shinji/Asuka from cannon I think it's too murky to argue definitively for one or the other I just have my preference and you youre's about the only one' that can be clearly dismissed are Shinji/Misato and especially Shinji/Himawari but that's just my two cents TTFN
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I take offense to that, V! Well, no, I don't.

In the original Evangelion, I found the idea to be weird.

But in Rebuild...Oh you better believe I ship ShinRei. The way they seem to changing things up so it will go (at least, I think) ShinRei. That and it's just so damn cute. 2.22 in particular.

That and I always seemed to have hope that Kaworu and Asuka would end up together. Don't ask. No, seriously. Don't ask. That must be another one of my crack pairings.

Gonna make a comment on the Gundam AGE thing:

The fact that Bandai issued the statement saying it would viewable online for people outside of Japan, only for it to be available in South East Asia was understandable as the North American market isn't the primary target. HOWEVER; they didn't issue an apology either. That was a low blow though.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Judge Of Toyama wrote:
George in the podcast talked about a few series that he thought were good but might be a little underappreciated or obscure like Justin has done with buried treasure/garbage. They said the series that were released didn't sell well and the ones that were not did not stand a chance. This got me to wondering if someone were to try and release some old and/or obscure 1-2 episode ova's could it be profitable enough to work? I know there are a lot of them I would buy if they could be released.

The tricky thing about old & obscure OVAs, especially those form the 80s, is that a lot of them never got more than a VHS and laserdisc release, and some of them never even got LDs. In those cases you'll have to hope that an original master still exists in order to give a really good DVD release. And, hell, the Japanese licensors might not even want some of them to be given a DVD release in North America or Europe before Japan gets it, even if it still hasn't happened. I remember reading once that Right Stuf wanted to release Leda on DVD in the early days of anime DVDs, but someone over at Japan, possibly the original creator, wanted Japan to be the first country to get the OVA on DVD. In the end Leda did receive a DVD release in Japan, but it was years after TRSI wanted to do it (with the license probably lasping by then) and it was apparently a very limited release. And even if there's a Japanese DVD to go off of, the title itself might still be just too obscure to warrant a release, even a sub-only one. And then there's the possibility of there being other licensing issues behind any of those titles.

I would love to see stuff like Salamander, Blazing Transfer Student, Ninja Ryukenden (a.k.a. the Ninja Gaiden OVA), Dangaioh (a true, proper release), Arion, One-Pound Gospel, the Violence Jack OVAs, & the Fuuma no Kojirou OVAs get released over here in North America on DVD, but those chances are very, very slim. You can try asking a company like Discotek, who are making a living business out of 80s anime, or even a company like Sentai, but the chances are still slim-as-hell.

*Yes, I shamlessly plugged my blog in this post... But, hey, if Daryl Surat can shamlessly plug AWO episodes, then I might as well do it once with some of my reviews*
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac, I would love to hear your opinion on the Fairy Tail Blurays. I've never really bought an R1 release, but I love Fairy Tail so much, I'm willing to break my "R2 only" rule, if it's a quality product.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Zac, I would love to hear your opinion on the Fairy Tail Blurays. I've never really bought an R1 release, but I love Fairy Tail so much, I'm willing to break my "R2 only" rule, if it's a quality product.

I understand this rule with DVDs, but generally don't think it's required with BDs. Funi is as good or better at upscales than the Japanese studios tend to be, and there's only been a very very small handful (like, count 'em on one hand) where the US release has been quantifiably worse. (Fairy Tale is natively HD anyway, so you should be good.)
Mendou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Fairy Tail's designs resemble OP's a little too much; too close for comfort maybe.

I enjoyed the critic segment of the podcast most, I feel. I don't call myself a critic, or consider myself one as I don't type out too many reviews. But the advice Zac gave out were ones that any future video reviewers(Or any reviewer, really) should take into consideration. Discussion is great, debating is fine; but sometimes people let their passion take over too much, and it gets personal for no reason other then to defend your favorite show. All of it can become unpleasant or tense.

This podcast also reminded me to watch Bartender one of these days, definitely looks like a hidden gem, but an acquired taste.
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I understand this rule with DVDs, but generally don't think it's required with BDs. Funi is as good or better at upscales than the Japanese studios tend to be, and there's only been a very very small handful (like, count 'em on one hand) where the US release has been quantifiably worse. (Fairy Tale is natively HD anyway, so you should be good.)

Fairy Tail actually isnt produced in HD but the upscales look fine from what i've seen but as usually the anime on dvd guys wouldnt let it go Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4