• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Website Removed Bokurano, Rocket Girls, Romeo × Juliet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
If Bokurano is moe.....I'm gonna and................beat up all the wrestlers on tv by myself.

Bokurano is not moe. It's total CRAP, but it's not moe. Jesus (Yamato), and the manga is so good. Damn that director.....damn him to......HFIL. Gonzo has been slipping lately......go read Rosario + Vampire.....then go watch the anime by Gonzo......see what I mean?
halo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:
GATSU wrote:
If I was running FUNimation and/or Bandai, I'd be more embarrassed that people knew I'd licensed more moe crap, not that someone else got there before me. Rolling Eyes

If you think that either Bokurano or Rocket Girls can be catagorized as "moe", then you have stretched the concept beyond the point of elasticity.

Agreed. I can't speak for Bokurano, but Rocket Girls was at least a half-way educational anime that was produced while in consultation with the Japanese version of NASA (name escapes me at the moment). And most anime fans probably wouldn't know this, but 2007-2008 is a very important time for the Japanese space program, and raising public awareness is key right now. But, I guess if you want to write the anime off using the label "moe", I can't stop you. Just don't do it ignorantly.

And just because they actually put some thought and effort into making it a halfway decent and entertaining show doesn't mean it's not moe. You still have a few high school girls in unrealistically revealing spacesuits, which is far more covering than Matsuri's little jungle outfit.

And it's the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and they even had one of their real astronauts make a cameo in the anime.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
Do people here forget that sometimes companies will attach conditions such as "If you want show X, you must also license shows Y and Z"? If you can recoup your losses from a failed show by forcing it onto someone who's trying to license a winner....
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
All the recent unlicensed GDH shows that FUNi hadn't previously nobbled have also been removed in the last few days at their own request, also including Real Bout High School which was licensed to Tokyopop but I assume has new expired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
And just because they actually put some thought and effort into making it a halfway decent and entertaining show doesn't mean it's not moe. You still have a few high school girls in unrealistically revealing spacesuits, which is far more covering than Matsuri's little jungle outfit.

And it's the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and they even had one of their real astronauts make a cameo in the anime.

Those "unrealistically revealing spacesuits"... http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/biosuit-0716.html

As they point out in the anime, the concept of a flexible skin-tight spacesuit has been around for decades and the science behind it is quite sound. The suits in Rocket Girls are more form-fitting than the real item as it currently exists, but they are not nearly as exaggerated as many might think. Besides, "girls in revealing outfits" does not equate to "moe" - that falls into the category of "fanservice".
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:

Fan-service involving young girls isn't called moe, it's called lolli. While the two often do, disturbingly, go together, they aren't the same.

Moe is about caring for the girl, lolli is about sexualizing her. Moe by the way can involve adult women, not just children, but lolli is only about children (or adults that look/act like children).

A good example of a series that is quite moe, yet doesn't involve any lollicon whatsoever (not saying a person with a lollita complex wouldn't be attracted to the show, just saying that the show doesn't pander to them)in Gunslinger Girls.

Yotsuba&! is also very moe, but not lolli at all.

Don't get me wrong, producers/directors do often capitalize on the cross over between these two themes/genres and there is a significant amount of moe out there that is lolli. And as I said above, even the most innocent moe can still appeal to a person who has a lollita complex, but in those cases the connection is made by the consumer, not the producers/creators.

I made another post on the subject a 'while' back here.

Although the "moe genre" doesn't interest me much, I don't have any problems with "pure moe" that doesn't attempt to make underage characters sexually attractive to adult readers.

-t
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
No love for Romeo x Juliet? Seriously...I loved Gankutsuou, and I've been starting to give up hope that anybody will license this.

On a side note, anyone who takes issue with other Gonzo adaptations...I feel your pain. I couldn't get through more than one volume of Chrono Crusade: they nerfed the story, setting and even the big showdown between Chrono and Lerajie so horribly, it actually hurt to watch. Let this be a lesson to us all: the only thing Gonzo should be allowed to "adapt" is classic literature. Anime smile
halo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I always thought moe was more about cute characters who fit into certain archetypes to cater to the fans of those particular archetypes, like the tsundare, wild girl and bookwork girls in Rocket Girls. At the very least it seems as if that's how the term is currently being used in Japan. Of course the American definition is probably a little different and varies from fan to fan. It is slang and not a part of standard vocabulary and usually slang's usage varies.

I'm not saying it's bad. Personally I like the level of moe in the show. They don't overly sexualize the girls who are old enough I don't feel like killing myself for enjoying the fanservice, though maybe a little guilty. It does have some other good sci-fi trappings and likable characters.

And Bokurano... it's not how it was butchered or not. I don't think they did that bad of a job really. It's really just the fact that the middle part of the story is soooooo repetitive it puts Hell Girl to shame. You know whats coming and most of the time they don't even try to disguise it. Did they really have to spend an episode on each kid? That's what killed it for me.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
A good example of a series that is quite moe, yet doesn't involve any lollicon whatsoever (not saying a person with a lollita complex wouldn't be attracted to the show, just saying that the show doesn't pander to them)in Gunslinger Girls.

Some people evidently disagree with regard to the paedo-pandering in Gunslinger Girls:

Chad Clayton's Anime Jump review wrote:
Artificial angst aside, something else made it even harder to enjoy this manga. The story makes a big deal out of the chemical brainwashing, and how it tends to make some of these girls absolutely adore their handlers to the point that they would kill and die for them. Much attention is given to how much power these grown men wield over these little girls. All of the little girls are as cute and girlish as china-dolls, while all of the adult women are barely distinguishable as female at first glance. In case you can't see where I'm going with this, this comic absolutely reeks of quasi-pedophilic overtones, and quite frankly I felt dirty just reading it. To its credit, Gunslinger Girl thus far makes no effort to show any kind of fanservice or nudity, but even that does little to cover up the absolutely creepy themes that are boiling beneath the surface.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
tempest wrote:

Some people evidently disagree with regard to the paedo-pandering in Gunslinger Girls:

Chad Clayton's Anime Jump review wrote:
Artificial angst aside, something else made it even harder to enjoy this manga. The story makes a big deal out of the chemical brainwashing, and how it tends to make some of these girls absolutely adore their handlers to the point that they would kill and die for them. Much attention is given to how much power these grown men wield over these little girls. All of the little girls are as cute and girlish as china-dolls, while all of the adult women are barely distinguishable as female at first glance. In case you can't see where I'm going with this, this comic absolutely reeks of quasi-pedophilic overtones, and quite frankly I felt dirty just reading it. To its credit, Gunslinger Girl thus far makes no effort to show any kind of fanservice or nudity, but even that does little to cover up the absolutely creepy themes that are boiling beneath the surface.
I guess Chad missed the point that spoiler[ all the girls have no memory past their waking up inside the "welfare" facility like being reborn and have bonded with their handlers like a child would bond with it's parent at birth.] Even a staunch anti-paedophile like myself could see that.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
No love for Romeo x Juliet? Seriously...I loved Gankutsuou, and I've been starting to give up hope that anybody will license this.

I don't think it's soon enough to give up hope yet (I don't think it's been out for even a full year yet) but dang, I was hoping this meant that FUNimation was licensing Romeo x Juliet. Seems a bit strange though that they only asked for the removal of a few anime...
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Here's the problem with moe: People who work on shows utilizing cute girls tend to forget things like, say, PLOT and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

With "Rocket Girls," the Japanese government using cute girls to spread their views is nothing new. (I also found the 801 T.T.S. Airbats OVA pure garbage.)

And I liked "Romeo X Juliet" better... When it was GLASS FLEET. Razz

Finally, I didn't like the way SHAFT messed up the Negima series. I thought the Xebec version of Negima was better, no matter what anybody (including Ken Akamatsu) says.
chiyocities

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Here's the problem with moe: People who work on shows utilizing cute girls tend to forget things like, say, PLOT and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

So wait a minute... you're saying shows like Air or Kanon are poorly written and devoid of any sort of strong character interaction?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick question, but...

Why all the Gonzo hate...

and if people are whining about it so more, why are they even bothering to watch fansubs? Just curious...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
sola, is a moe show. If you claim that sola has no plot and no character development....you must replace the capitan of your brain ship, because he's drunk at the wheel (I appologise to the scrubs cast)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3