• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach- What's up with the Spanish?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Istan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I support the theory of bleach being a metaphor of cleansing evil spirits.

Mainly because of a friend who went on a crazy theory(he even knew it wasnt true) about if Hueco Mundo was just a stain on someones shirt and the shinigami were all just bleach particles being used to clean the dirt(hollows) and karakura town was the logo on the shirt and soul soceity was the bleach bottle, hence why no one goes anywhere but karakura, hueco mundo, and soul society.

Anime hyper
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Considering how 'deep' Bleach's plotlines are, I think it's safe to assume his original intention was that people always assume Ichigo's hair is bleached (rather than the genetic anomaly that it seems to be).

The bigger issue than "why the spanish," is why Taito can't make a consistent storyline instead of constantly retconning it every time a new concept or fact is introduced.
Istan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
why would people assume his hair is bleached? isnt it orange? >.>
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Istan wrote:

Orange isn't exactly a natural color in Japan.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the orange color is a hyperbole on what happens when you bleach (Japanese) black hair (with the wrong products), which is that it sometimes turns orangish.
MrVince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I can give some insight about what I think is Tite Kubo's choice in using Spanish, and if not more specific, Mexican culture in his Arrancar references. Ichigo's mask looks like a upgraded fusion mix of a death mask used in Day of the Dead celebrations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_dead

If you keep googling for images of the celebrations, you'll also notice some influences on Kubo's drawings of the Arrancar, Espada, and Hollows. This is distinctively Mexican, as most other cultures including the Japanese traditionally do not use skull masks to represent the dead.

Also note Chad is from Mexico, and spoiler[his more advanced features have made many suspect he is of a hollow]. It blends all so nicely!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:
I can give some insight about what I think is Tite Kubo's choice in using Spanish, and if not more specific, Mexican culture in his Arrancar references. Ichigo's mask looks like a upgraded fusion mix of a death mask used in Day of the Dead celebrations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_dead

If you keep googling for images of the celebrations, you'll also notice some influences on Kubo's drawings of the Arrancar, Espada, and Hollows. This is distinctively Mexican, as most other cultures including the Japanese traditionally do not use skull masks to represent the dead.

Also note Chad is from Mexico, and spoiler[his more advanced features have made many suspect he is of a hollow]. It blends all so nicely!

Wow! Great connection. That makes complete sense. Nice little touches like that add to the awesomeness that is Bleach.
shogun22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
I thought it was called Bleach because when Ichigo first took Rukia's powers from her in the first episode, her clothes went from black to white- were "bleached".

"Bleach" was the name of Nirvana's debut album.
According to one of the interviews with Kubo Tite, he's a big Nirvana fan.
Ryuzant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
lol you know i had actually thought about this before, it kind of bothers me that he uses spanish xD, i mean, it's so random hahaha idk, to a certain extent it sounds cool but meh, he can do whatever he wants
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Not just spanash and english either, the bounto all spoke german when casting spells and such I think the guy just likes to isolate his other "races" with foreign language.
Although now that I think about it he didn't write any of the bounto filler Rolling Eyes dumbass
MisterEd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
Wait, I always thought it was called Bleach because ghosts, which ichigo can see talk to, are white. Hallows are essentially ghosts too, right?

On another note, I think that the spanish is really cool, and I don't think has any meaning, it just sounds cool.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll go with the idea that it's because it's a thematic thing.

The shinigami cleanse the world of spirits, purifying them and sending them to Soul Society, or in the case of Hollows, exterminating them.

Like how bleach cleans things white.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
shogun22 wrote:
"Bleach" was the name of Nirvana's debut album.
According to one of the interviews with Kubo Tite, he's a big Nirvana fan.

Actually now that I think about it, there might have been some influence from the Nirvana album, and I think it might go hand in hand with the thematic idea of "cleansing" souls. If you can think of the possible reason why Kurt Cobain had to name his album "Bleach" it might be very much along the same lines as to why Kubo decided to call his manga series the same.
loraen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Istan wrote:

Orange isn't exactly a natural color in Japan.

Bit of a derail on the thread topic but I've wondered why a lot of anime have a character whose hair is naturally red/orange? One of the strongest examples being Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Why do a lot of anime characters have hair that's naturally blue, green, or pink? It makes them easier to distinguish from each other. In some cases, it's indicative of personality as well. If anime and manga restricted hair colors to only natural possibilities, 80-90% of characters would probably have black hair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3