• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Crunchyroll's Vu Nguyen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
That, and it's not really all that hard to find used VHS and DVD copies of titles whose licenses have expired [keep in mind, there's usually upwards of 10 years worth of stock floating around out there when something expires/goes OOP], as well as overstock of said titles..... and it's not entirely uncommon for companies to reissue these titles [whether reissuing it themselves, or having an outside company relicense the title, and rerelease their translation]
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any problem whatsoever with Zac's interview. His questions were hard hitting and direct and he confronted the issues confidently and straight forward.

Zac, I applaud you.
akichan911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
In response to those of you who replied to me:

Quote: 8JF
"I've never heard of ignorance being a viable defence from the law. It's their business to know and their guardians duty to make sure they know. Why do they make you take civics in school? It has nothing to do with sadistic glee on the part of the teachers."

I agree with your point on ignorance. However, I will add that civics is not taught as a mandatory class in my district; it's an elective.

Anyway:
I agree, but there are many teen anime fans I know who don't actively look at forums and information like we do- they just like the anime. And parents don't know about it, because many parents probably see anime as a teenage fad- the fact that it's on the internet doesn't faze them, because they are uneducated.
And the CR/YouTube comparison- yeah, what CR is doing definitely isn't right. Charging for fansubs is absolutely ridiculous, especially with the clear code of ethics for fansubbers.
And I do try to support the industry when I can- if it's possible, I'll definitely do it. It's just it isn't always available to me and other teenagers with my same problem of scheduling.
And for buying via the internet: it's not that they think that a website will steal a credit card number, it's just that they don't want to deal with mail-orders, credit card usage, etc.
So, basically what I want to say is that I agree with you guys, and my friends and I try to support the industry when we can, it's just that we can't 24/7. But trust me, if we can, we will.
And maybe not scapegoat teenagers instead of focusing on the horrible doings of CR.

Reading this thread, a new idea occured to me: why is CR still up when 1) it has been exposed that they are making money off the distrobution of illegal media, 2) we know the general location of the CR headquarters, and 3) it's hurting the industry so much. They suck and all, but why hasn't anyone attempted to take legal action?
FreedomNo1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm that interview seemed a bit harsh biased in a sense but those were questions people wanted to know.
Hmm Guess I feel like responding so I'll look at the post above me since it seems like a strong position :p.

Civics is not a mandatory class just included as part of the standard school curriculum. And ignorance is not a viable defence.

Hmm I have to disagree with the first point I know many teens my age who use forums and create sites related to anime related content. Also many online games have alliances with forums that cover an array of topics including anime. And their are also forums where teenagers respond to issues such as crunchyrolls forum a lot of people respond on their forums and it has a wide array of topics. Not sure about anime being a teenage fad but think its expanding beyond teenage years to older ages as well. Im not sure how parents see anime, I cannot say from a firsthand view but would like to mention that Adults and parents control television shows and more recently I have seen more anime related shows on television than their used to be. Anyways parents were not born in the technological age so in general they are uneducated with technology since they cannot even open a simple e-mail, chat or blog on a forum like myspace without being taught first. CR/Youtube Comparison well if I remember correctly youtube videos are constantly re-uped even if removed for violations. While with CR if its asked to be removed once it's gone also CR doesnt host any licensed animes since it's part of their policy and I remember they removed a lot of their animes at the request of Geneon and some other companies when asked way back. And charging for fansubs is riduculous I agree but I dont remember videos ever being restricted from anyone maybe the Hi-Res Benefits for members and limits on videos for non-members but those seem reasonable considering the cost of bandwidth. Also believe that Hi-Res videos are available to everyone on CR with a torrent program now. I support fansubbers and believe that charging for subs is wrong so I see your point as well. Yes I beleive that by increasing popularity to the industry their will be an increase in fans and purchase in the long range kinda similar to the debates in the music industry about how it affects sales although recent studys show to it doesnt and can even increase sales marginally due to the widespread popularity and people wanting to support the artists buying Cd's. Also sometimes fansubbers are neccessary since the releases are in another language and take a long time to be released in another country. I definitly agree with your point we try to support the industry when we can but sometimes due to lack of supply and distance and language issues we need alternate means to get to it but when its released here we go and support the artists and creators by buying the Cd's and Dvds instead. Oh I noticed what you said about the internet and online shopping well sometimes the subs arent released in the correct language for example a Dvd released in Japanese can be bought but not understod by a person using the English language also buying off the internet is still not as popular as buying from a store's also might not be as safe at times and not everyone has a Paypal account.

Well I haven't gone through all the pages but i'll try to respond
1.) CR is still up because people sometimes cannot get the releases where they are in Dvd/Cd form so they use another forum of communication such as internet. Also CR seems to be making alliances within the anime community and possibly in the future will become part of the internet solution. 2) Hmm yes general location dont know how thats a point 3) Is it hurting the industry if it increase the popularity of a series or if it's inaccessable by any other means?The reason they haven't taken any legal action is due to the fact they remove copyright's when asked, only host unlicensed animes, as well as form alliance's within the anime community we live in a new Information age and if we dont cooperate through legal means such as hosting files through Cr where advertisments when streaming a video help pay distrubutors who host their releases on the site etc then we can just go back to Illegal means such as downloading the files of the internet without any money going to the producers and creators. In more recent years Big Buisness and Online Distrubution are becoming more common for example the alliance with youtube the support of online television through veoh the creation of the Vuze network in Azerus the Partnership of Gonzo with Crunchyroll and also the creation of Itunes for purchasing music online. To sum up we need to look at this issue differently and adapt necessarily

Last edited by FreedomNo1 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
FreedomNo1 wrote:
Yes I beleive that by increasing popularity to the industry their will be an increase in fans and purchase in the long range

But this is exactly where the problem is. Exposure to anime is certainly increasing but sales are not. This is not just coincidence that for every year, as broadband has become more prominent and illegal alternatives have become more convenient, that DVD sales have plummeted.
Jih2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to say Zac I really loved reading this interview, it always felt like you were on the move in discussion trying to make a break through and if anything this should reinforce so many people's opinions about CR being a shady illegal playground.

I thought I should give my thoughts even if you don't respect them.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
Shuchung wrote:
Find advertisers who pay more? Build up viewer base? Look for investors?

I was just making a comment on what seems to me to be a contradiction that Mr. Nguyen makes. There certainly seems to be a potential for profit to be made or there wouldn’t be any “revenue sharing” agreements or investment money. I’m just curious what changed with the VC infusion that all of the sudden netting a profit is now a realization when Nguyen specifically notes that there was no such profit prior to the 4 million? How do you remove a source of revenue (the donation system) yet add costs (payroll and other costs associated with becoming “legit”) and now all the sudden you’re able to turn a profit? Something just doesn’t add up to me.

I don't think Mr. Nguyen ever denied the potential of net profiting. From this interview he claimed, "we weren't trying to profit but cover costs." So based on his words, it sounds like they could profit more, but they weren't trying to.

Quote:
PS. Building up your traffic count doesn't necessarily increase revenue as it also increases your costs. And thinking of investments as profit is not a wise idea Razz.

Traffic count can be used to draw in more advertisers, and advertisers would be willing to pay more. Investments can be used to expand the site and raise the quality of the service. Create partnerships with other companies... etc.
kuinni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
nothing to say that others haven't. but i find it funny that the folks on cruncyroll's forum think that ANN is harsh and aggressive. ehem. i myself enjoyed zac's questions. Razz
FreedomNo1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
True sales may not be increasing, but I meant that companies must look for alternatives to adapt with the new shifts and changes in technology such as allowing the purchasing of anime with subscriptions or something this could be done on crunchyroll for example where people could pay a monthly subscription for viewing copyrighted videos online and give some of the money to the distrubutors and artists while allowing some benefits for non-members like allowing them to watch unlicensed videos.

Anyways music, anime, and videos of any kind all face the same problems of distrubution so as to your point about exposure not increasing sales well a counterpoint this relates more to music inparticular but invloves the interrelation between common problems facing these industries meaning that it could easily be proven to be true in video and anime industries as well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071102.WBcyberia20071102184331/WBStory/WBcyberia

anyways was wondering if All Dvd sales have plummeted as you have mentioned then is it not possible that the items were purchased in another way.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
kuinni wrote:
nothing to say that others haven't. but i find it funny that the folks on cruncyroll's forum think that ANN is harsh and aggressive. ehem. i myself enjoyed zac's questions. Razz

I just checked that thread out looking for some entertainment value, but it looks like responses there were much more balanced and coherent then I had any reason to expect.

Sure there's the idiots that think we're 'n00bs' (seriously?) and that Zac was vicious, but there were a lot of responders that understood the reason these questions had to be asked.
kazana144

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Unknown Memory wrote:
Edit: ^ Was that directed to me? O.o Did I sound like I expected ANN to kowtow to him? I said I wasn't surprised by the interview. What made you think my last post statement sounded "disappointed"?

[

No, it wasn't just a general comment.

Last edited by kazana144 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
FreedomNo1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
>> that quote confused me lol Kenotic?? hmm looks like I have to go back a few pages
Anyways that 50-70k pretty much gets owned and goes to bandwidth lol
Nice Debate actually going through the pages now
kuinni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:

I just checked that thread out looking for some entertainment value, but it looks like responses there were much more balanced and coherent then I had any reason to expect.

Sure there's the idiots that think we're 'n00bs' (seriously?) and that Zac was vicious, but there were a lot of responders that understood the reason these questions had to be asked.

no, i wasn't saying that i thought all of them were idiots, just that the ones who were attacking Zac's interview over at CR were amusing. it is something of a surprise, however, to see so many who understood the points of Zac's interview. i have always been doubtful about how involved the members at CR could be, but i do agree with you on how it was a rather nice surprise to see how many people didn't just randomly cross a black line over ANN's name. a lot did, however, which gave me some moments of enjoyment.
mokitty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Right now the best we got is along the lines of, "ya know, if that route comes to us easily, and doesn't change our MO too much, we'll definitely be interested in taking it". That's not the impression I want to put faith in. Rolling Eyes

Exactly the reason that I'm echoing your earlier sentiment of feeling like I need to take a shower after reading this interview. Thanks for not letting 'em off easy, Zac, as all too many jornalists seem to do these days... since when does getting to the truth of questionable activities require being polite and cordial?

At 24 I'm way too young to be feeling like an old fogey, so why does anime fandom keep making me feel that way? I, too, remember the days of the $50 VHS tape, and I can remember being 15 and saving every penny I could for months to buy just one volume, or trading in an entire potential xmas wishlist from parents/aunts/uncles/siblings/grandparents and begging for just a few tapes. I remember trekking out on the hour-long bus ride in mid-January to spend every Friday night surrounded by perverted older college boys at the local university for the chance at seeing something new. But now my baby brother's generation is pissing and moaning over any mere hint that their ability to receive it delivered free to their bedrooms might not be wholly legal or moral.

And so I find myself thinking, "Effing kids these days, just don't know how easy they got it..." and wondering when exactly I became the crazy old lady that shakes her proverbial cane at them.
tarrin4ever

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote
I'm sleep deprived, and ranty. And I'll be happy if even half of this makes sense tomorrow.

I've mentioned something like this before, so I'll do it again here. If the anime industry wasn't a bunch of wussies and took these guys out from the start, we wouldn't be having these supposed problems right now.

It's another glaring example of how their inactivity has further damned them. We got CR (the eBaums version of video hosting sites) making deals with GONZO to distribute anime. We all see what's wrong with this picture, right? The american side of the industry is so bloody incompetent in their jobs that the limping horse that is GONZO is so desperately trying to get people to watch their stuff they're going to ask CR for help.

And there's no way GONZO's that stupid that they don't know what CR is all about. They probably just don't care, they need to get their shows out there so they can feed their kids and pay the bills.

Genco ought to go tell Media Blasters to take a hike, and talk to Dattebayo about how to get people to watch Genshiken. It's probably gotten more exposure on that site (as the show that's not Bleach or Naruto) then it ever would have in the hands of the niche title peddling company that is Media Blasters.

Is this relevant Tarrin?
You mean does this have anything to do with the interview itself? Sure, if only to clarify my stance on related issues so it wont need to be asked for later. That is, if anybody really cares.

Ok then, what's your opinion about the interview.
No comment.

I kid. I think whether or not Zac is using his journalist power to expose CR's lack of morals is a still a win win situation.

If he's not, then he's just reporting and informing us on current anime affairs as usual. We learn new things, people argue on comment boards, internet debaters get to have fun. Business as usual around here. Maybe it'll get a video mention in the next installment of ANNtv.

Then again, I hope it didn't point previously oblivious anime leeches to a new feeding ground. While journalism should try to remain impartial, it should make some sort of point in saying "these guys are good because...", and/or "these guys are crooks because..."

If he is (and he isn't claimed he has), then he's at least done what the Do-Nothing-Industry is afraid to do. Why it isn't a prosecutor asking them these questions instead of a friendly anime news site is ludicrous in itself.

If anything, I wish he'd add a bit more of his thoughts/opinions at the end of his interviews. We all read these 2+ page articles of him chatting it up with whoever, and then we're all left to ourselves to decide just what the hell just happened and what was the point of it all?

Johnny Smart-User probably doesn't need external opinions to tell him who's the bad guy and who's sidestepping questions that they know they'll look like idiots if they answer. They're big boys, and there's a risk they wont agree with the interviewer's opinions.

However, there's a ratio to the internet that says for 1 Johnny Smart-User there's 200 Joey Dumbshit-User who'll side with whoever debates the loudest and who posts more responses with focuses on each point the other side makes, despite their responses potentially being full of crap. They'll just latch on like those tiny fish latch on to the underbellies of big sharks or whales or whatever. I don't know fish.

That's all I got for now. Forgive me if you find anything/everything I wrote to be A) Childish and immature, B) A bad Lewis Black impression, or C) Just another loud mouth with access to a computer.

Hopefully I wake up tomorrow and find out I'm none of the above. If not, then I solemnly apologize for being an uninformed prat. I probably still have much to learn, and plan on spending many years to come searching for what truly is right. I'm probably not at a stage in my life that my internet logic is finely sharpened and infallible. But if anything, I'm not one of those loudmouths that considers everything they write on the net as gospel pressed on golden pages and will be personally offended if even one of my points is proven wrong.

I hope I haven't embarrassed myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15