• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BOST to Offer Downloads without Digital Restrictions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Quote:
if you are American or look like American. If you are someone who look like Asian especially Japanese, tell the store owner that you know Hero san and I'm sure you will get something good. That is where I buy 2 DVD for 3100 Yen each of Chobits with each DVD have 6 episodes.

Cluelessness mixed with bigotry. Classy!
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:
Go to sakai suji street if you are in Osaka, there are a big Anime shop there, I will not give you the name so find it on your own but don't blame me if you got the price over 6000 yen for just 2 episode if you are American or look like American. If you are someone who look like Asian especially Japanese, tell the store owner that you know Hero san and I'm sure you will get something good. That is where I buy 2 DVD for 3100 Yen each of Chobits with each DVD have 6 episodes.

Obviously you're not the sharpest tool in the box - I already told you that these are bootlegs and what you've said just proves that you're buying bootlegs with how doggy they operate, and you still think you're buying "smart", but in reality they just ripped you off since they make insane profits selling bootlegs and/or grey imports, which gives them at anywhere from 200%-500% profit compared with official DVDs.

These kinds of operation are common in Akihabara (alot by Chinese workers, which gives Chinese people a bad name, very unfortunate) too and you think I don't know that? If I want bootlegs DVDs or grey imports I could easily obtain them in China or Taiwan without these doggy businessman making an insane profit in the process.

Oh, and you're giving other Asian people a bad name too, so please stop pretending you are a "smart shopper".

In that case, I just hope you are not meeting with a Japanese shop owner who said no foreigner or American to you when you get inside their shop if you are an American or look like American.
denkigrve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Can you two stop your petty little flame war and get back on topic please...

No thanks to this download for the iPod. 320x240? Seriously? iTunes purchases are 640x up to 480 depending on screen aspect ratio. Yeah it's got DRM, and it'd dubbed. But the quality is WAY better than the youtube-ish streams Bost is offering along with the really bad format download options.

Plus iTunes and iPod now support alternate audio and subtitle tracks. So it's only a matter of time until Funi and Manga put those into the files as well.

Charging 2 bucks an ep for sub-iTunes quality is a joke. Even if it's DRM free. Most DVDs are cheap here in the US, and using handbrake to make your own PSP and iPod copies is WAY easier.

Price Comparison:
Bebop Box set: http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Bebop-Remix-Anime-Legends/dp/B00102FF7U/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&sr=8-1

$39.99

Bost price: $2 per episode x 26 = $52 for the whole series. On top of that you only get the dub.

It's not worth it to me considering I can make a really good quality copy for my iPod and PSP myself using handbrake from the DVDs, AND it can be dub or sub depending on how I encode it.[/url]
rg4619

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Charging 2 bucks an ep for sub-iTunes quality is a joke. Even if it's DRM free. Most DVDs are cheap here in the US, and using handbrake to make your own PSP and iPod copies is WAY easier.

Well, the main idea is to attract those who enjoy streaming fansubs off sites like Youtube. A legal alternative (coinciding with the Japanese broadcast in the case of Gonzo's titles - I guess speed of release is the draw here) to what they're already watching.

While I don't expect this service to ever take off (like these guys will ever pay for something), the intention isn't to replace DVDs. Those who already buy and enjoy high quality merchandise will continue to do so several months after the original broadcast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3